JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
I'm trying to do the opposite, I want a mirror finish on my Bowie knife. Been having a heck of a time getting some if the fine scratches out of it.
I only have grits from 220 , 320, 400, 600, then skips to 1500.
8 & 10 hundred would do it I think, but I don't want to spend that much money on it
I'll think I have them gone till I polish it up, and there they are again in the same place.
Went by NAPA and they wanted $10 for a package of 1000 grit, I got sticker shock and left them there.
Back to the 4 and 600 grit again, but not tonight, just got cleaned up so I can Host at the Senior Center tomorrow, gotta do my bit for the community. Didn't want to look or smell like a bum!

Any suggestions on removing those hair line scratches greatly appreciated.
Carbon steel is easier to finish I think!

The glass bead blasting wouldn't erase any numbers or letters, it is way too gentle for that unless they are on there with a Sharpy Marker. o_O:rolleyes:
Sorry I didn't mean to Hi Jack the thread, just running off at the mouth so to speak.:eek:
Gabby

Use Mothers Mag Polish with a cotton cloth after you are done with the sand paper. It will get it extremely shiny and will remove fine scratches, works even better if you use a buffer or Dremel.

The more times you go over it with the mothers the shinier it will get.

3AFFB170-4C77-4C8B-9ECB-8B67524F2120.jpeg

You could always just give it to me if the finish is too annoying for you... I know, it's a sacrifice on my part, but that's just the kind of giving guy I am....way down deep inside :D

Use Mothers Mag Polish with a cotton cloth after you are done with the sand paper. It will get it extremely shiny and will remove fine scratches, works even better if you use a buffer or Dremel.

The more times you go over it with the mothers the shinier it will get.

View attachment 417994
Thanks Red, they have it at my NAPA store, I'll give it a shot, someone maybe you?? recommended it after polishing his revolver, but I knew I had to get rid of the grind marks first, they were way too coarse to just rub out with a cloth.
Sips at his cheapwadka, and smiles,
Thanks,
Gabby

Upcoming Events

Lakeview Spring Gun Show
Lakeview, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR
Falcon Gun Show - Classic Gun & Knife Show
Stanwood, WA
Wes Knodel Gun & Knife Show - Albany
Albany, OR