JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
I'm looking to upgrade my current spotting scope. And I need some suggestions or reviews.

I shoot at a Pdx gun club and I need a scope that I can see from 50yds-300yds.

Since I reload for my M1 garand, being able to see hits at 200+ clearly would be very helpful.

I'm currently looking at:
Alpen 788
Konus konuspot 7122

Looking to stay around $350 or under.

Thanks.

The scope I use and majority of High Power shooters is the 82 mm Kowa. With the long eye releif
25 power eye piece. The 45 degree angle is the way to go for shooting from the prone position.
For the money this is a better scope than one costing twice as much. I know it is over your budget
but it will be the last scope you will ever buy.

<broken link removed>

Spotting Scopes | Champion's Choice

Not owning or having used either spotting scope you have listed, I have a couple of general thoughta.

The Konus does not offer a lifetime warranty. The majority of reviews I have read of it seem to be comparing it to 80mm objective lens scopes - which indicates to me that it makes up for quality with size. Very short eye relief at magnification compared to some other spotting scopes. Not sure what prism it uses or what glass it is made from - which I don't like.

The Alpen seems like a much better scope as it does not have any of the issues I found with the Konus. The only thing I can think of bad to say about it is that I have never heard of the brand.

My experience with cheap glass is that you generally get what you pay for. That point has been beaten to death (and I'm struggling with it myself deciding what spotting scope I am going to buy), but it really is true.

I picked up the alpen 788 today. $140 off instant rebate. $330 out the door.

Haven't been to the range yet, but played with it a home. 200yds out I can see the bark and moss on the trees behind my house clearly, so it should be ok for range trips.

As I don't shoot high power matches, mainly just normal range trips(occasional vintage rifle matches). I think it'll do the job just fine.

Why not just buy a good one and cry once?
Cheap glass is a PITA. You buy a cheap brand and you notice it every time you use it. Plus some don't seem to actually have the magnification they say.I could see better out of my scopes than my cheap spotting scope
Spend another $150 or so and get a nice Nikon,Vortex or Leopold.
You won't regret it

Went with Optics Planet for 330 out the door on the 788. Had to look around their web site for a 20 buck coupon to get the price down to the 330 with free shipping.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top