JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
Pay attention to Spokane case if you own guns, smoke pot

A trial scheduled to begin today in Spokane has some serious implications, especially for residents of Washington and Colorado who may smoke pot recreationally or ingest it for medical reasons, and own or possess firearms for hunting and personal protection, because under federal law, the two do not mix.

<broken link removed>

"possession of a firearm in furtherance of a drug trafficking crime"

If you own and smoke - but do not buy/sell nor traffic (in either firearms nor pot), would there be federal laws, statutes, etc, which would apply?

"possession of a firearm in furtherance of a drug trafficking crime"

If you own and smoke - but do not buy/sell nor traffic (in either firearms nor pot), would there be federal laws, statutes, etc, which would apply?

Yeah, you're busted! Period. You cannot possess a firearm if you are a regular user of a controlled substance. I checked again Monday with some folks at ATF. Sorry, but no cigar...bong, joint, pipe, brownie, cookie or any other type of consumptive method.

Yeah, you're busted! Period. You cannot possess a firearm if you are a regular user of a controlled substance. I checked again Monday with some folks at ATF. Sorry, but no cigar...bong, joint, pipe, brownie, cookie or any other type of consumptive method.

in that case, having a beer on the weekends would also be grounds for loosing your gun rights.

in that case, having a beer on the weekends would also be grounds for loosing your gun rights.

No, you're not getting this. Alcoholic beverages are good to go. You're just arguing to be argumentative, methinks... ;)
And frankly, I don't think it's such a hot idea for drunks OR stoners walking around with guns. <yikes!>

Pot is a controlled substance. Beer, wine and hard liquor is legal. That's the way it is. I didn't make the rule. I'm not saying good or bad about the law, I just write about this stuff.

I find it a little disturbing when some seem to celebrate federal intervention on one states rights issue, and then turn around and lobby for reduced federal intervention in other matters.

The existence and sporadic enforcement of the law doesn't make it right.

From reading the article, it seems that the feds are piling on. I think all of us should be vigilant when gun rights are tied to distinctly separate issues.

I find it a little disturbing when some seem to celebrate federal intervention on one states rights issue, and then turn around and lobby for reduced federal intervention in other matters.

The existence and sporadic enforcement of the law doesn't make it right.

From reading the article, it seems that the feds are piling on. I think all of us should be vigilant when gun rights are tied to distinctly separate issues.

I haven't seen anyone celebrating anything here. Rather, it is a healthy discussion about the pitfalls and praftalls surrounding this sticky issue. I started writing about this problem in 2012 before the initiative passed, explaining and WARNING people that pot habits and guns don't mix, no matter what the state law may say.

Last Edited:
No, you're not getting this. Alcoholic beverages are good to go. You're just arguing to be argumentative, methinks... ;)
And frankly, I don't think it's such a hot idea for drunks OR stoners walking around with guns. <yikes!>

Pot is a controlled substance. Beer, wine and hard liquor is legal. That's the way it is. I didn't make the rule. I'm not saying good or bad about the law, I just write about this stuff.

well i do like to give people a hard time here and there but it generally doesnt work over forum like this, it was said to make a real point. sure people who cannot control desires that can have a disruptive effect on their mind should not be trusted with such a responsibility as carrying a gun; or for that matter be driving, operating heavy equipment or any other activity that potentially puts others at risk, which goes beyond just pot or beer. it should be noted that ethyl alcohol is a controlled substance which alters its users mental ability to function properly, much the same as pot is. it simply causes change with a different method. on top of that, pot is perfectly legal in spokane and should not be used to prevent people from excising their rights as free people. even if it were used only as medicine prescribed by a Dr, it should be recognized that opiates are prescribed to people and they are not denied the right to own or carry a gun. nor should they.

Beer, wine and hard liquor is legal.

So is...

Oxycotin
Oxycodone
Vicadin
Hydrocodone

I don't know if you know this or not, Dave, but Heroin used to be prescribed as a pain killer- as well.

If Marijuana is truly legal, then why is there any restrictions on it when it comes to firearms? By your logic, if I'm prescribed Oxycotin for pain- I shouldn't be able to buy a gun, right?

Nobody wants high, gun totters...but we also don't want drunk drivers. Just because you drink doesn't mean you shouldn't be able to buy a car, so who cares if they have a Marijuana card?!

I'd rather have a pothead carry a gun than a drunk with a gun any day.
81739288.jpg

I wouldn't be so sure about that. :D

I don't think Dave is advocating one way or the other. I think Dave is simply pointing out how the law is interpreted at this time. If Dave's accurate portrayl of the law pisses you off, instead of issue your vitriol towards him, perhaps you would like to sit and pen a letter to you Congressional Representative, the President (who I think is pro pot to get youngsters to like his party), or someone that can actually change something. Dave is simply reporting fact. Your not liking the facts doesn't make Dave wrong, or the facts any different.

Upcoming Events

Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR
Falcon Gun Show - Classic Gun & Knife Show
Stanwood, WA
Lakeview Spring Gun Show
Lakeview, OR
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews