JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Occasionally I have a problem similar to Roger65. Pops up out of the blue and it's tough to get anything all of the way down, even with water, which does help. Once I clear it I don't seem to have a problem, but it's kinda sketchy for a bit.
What's worse is choking on my own spit in the middle of the night. Really sucks trying to get air into your lungs when your windpipe won't open up.

So if it happens again, it's straight to the OR table. I'm on this lame bubblegum diet of no solid foods for 3 days and no crunchy stuff or whole meats for 3-4 weeks. My throat is really irritated from the vomiting and the camera and its hard to swallow still.

Years ago, I was leaned back in a dentist chair getting one of those molar bite impression casts that use a U shaped tray and a bunch of that oozing pink stuff which takes about 10 minutes to harden while you bite down on it.
I had a nasty head cold at the time and after the assistant placed the overfilled tray onto my lower teeth, I could feel some of that goop start to slowly ooze down into my airway.
My nasal passages were completely stuffed up and no matter how much I tried to ignore the choking sensation in my throat, I slowly started to not be able to breath.
I waved my hands and made grunting noises to get the attention of the dentist, but he had walked away while looking at my chart, so I lurched upwards and attempted to grab a hold of the tray to yank it out of my mouth, but the dental assistant tried to stop me saying it wasn't time yet. She lost that fight.
What a mess, the goop was half cured, stringy and stuck to everything, but I managed to hack up the part that was lodged deep down in my airway.
I never had a sensitive gag reflex before that episode, but I sure do now.

Damn dude. Sorry.

So if it happens again, it's straight to the OR table. I'm on this lame bubblegum diet of no solid foods for 3 days and no crunchy stuff or whole meats for 3-4 weeks. My throat is really irritated from the vomiting and the camera and its hard to swallow still.

hmmmm, beer is not solid, nor meat. :D

I once read that Guinness Stout beer has so many essential vitamins and minerals, that it meets all your daily nutritious requirements .

So I've had a few times since this that food got stuck. I have YET to eat steak or even a hamburger. New health insurance kicks in July 1. And I'll be making an appointment with an ENT the day after. Maybe it's just me being paranoid, or maybe something is out of whack. Either way I've got to get to get answers.

I eat very carefully these days. It really stinks honestly. My wife has gotten used to it and cooks accordingly.

I eat very carefully these days. It really stinks honestly. My wife has gotten used to it and cooks accordingly.

Welcome to my world until the morning of June 27th. Living on canned Lasagna, Ravioli, Macaroni and Cheese, Baked Chicken (which I hand bone after baking) and Carnation Breakfast Essentials (the modern iteration of Carnation's Instant Breakfast). It isn't much fun but will have to do until I can have my dentures fitted.

23 days (3 weeks, 2 days) to go.

Welcome to my world until the morning of June 27th. Living on canned Lasagna, Ravioli, Macaroni and Cheese, Baked Chicken (which I hand bone after baking) and Carnation Breakfast Essentials (the modern iteration of Carnation's Instant Breakfast). It isn't much fun but will have to do until I can have my dentures fitted.

23 days (3 weeks, 2 days) to go.

Sounds like my diet. Things that can be broken down by saliva. It sucks. Big time.

Tonight I did eat some pizza with chicken and artichokes. Man my jaw aches from chewing!

Go easy on the canned food if you can. TONS of sodium and preservatives.

I have no choice. It stretches my budget and can be heated in the microwave oven. I supplement everything with a 60+ multivitamin. I will survive until the end of the month. I refuse to puree a salad!

Occasionally, I heat corned beef and mix it with sauerkraut. then top it with some Thousand Island Dressing a "Reuben Sandwich" without the Rye Bread.

Last Edited:

My issues were/are like yours for over 7 years and at least you have a supportive wife helping you by adjusting meals - I know I appreciate my wife for that.

Stick with it man and best of luck for an easy diagnosis and remedy.

I know how much it sucks to have a limited diet and can't imagine being afraid of choking every time I eat:(.

Keep us updated, I know lots of people here are rooting for you.

My issues were/are like yours for over 7 years and at least you have a supportive wife helping you by adjusting meals - I know I appreciate my wife for that.

Stick with it man and best of luck for an easy diagnosis and remedy.

I know how much it sucks to have a limited diet and can't imagine being afraid of choking every time I eat:(.

Keep us updated, I know lots of people here are rooting for you.

Absolutely!

Upcoming Events

Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR
Falcon Gun Show - Classic Gun & Knife Show
Stanwood, WA
Lakeview Spring Gun Show
Lakeview, OR
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR