JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
The 260 is the big brother to the .243 and the smaller brother of the 7mm-08, all of which are basically necked down 308s.
Several years ago I was choosing between a 260 and a 7mm-08 in a Ruger Compact. I ended up choosing the 7mm-08. As far as using it as a hunting rifle with off the shelf ammunition, I made the correct choice.
That's not saying the 260 is a bad round. It's a great cartridge. Unfortunately it's just not been super popular and ya just don't find a great choice of ammunition for it, that is if you find it in the first place!
But, this is the great opportunity for you to handload. (I don't handload for the 7mm-08 anymore, cuz it's the wife's rifle and she don't shoot much):)
There is a wonderful assortment of .264" bullets to play with. There is a lot of interest in this round from the guys that like to punch little holes in paper so you'll find lots and lots of "secret recipes". If you don't find brass easily, .243 brass can be run through your sizing die and it comes out .260 brass.
Wanna go hunting? No worries. Elk are on the large size for this cartridge, but the Sweeds have been killing moose for a ling time with their 6.5x55 and your 260 will easily match (and often better) their rounds.
You didn't mention if this was a Compact or not. If it is and you decide to "roll your own", you will want to focus on the faster powders the manuals list. The shorter barrels will lose a fair amount of velocity compared to a 22 or 24" tube. You will not be able to make that up with powder selection, but you will be able to minimize the FPS loss by going with a faster powder.
Enjoy!

The rifle is the Predator model. I had a 7-08 that I sent to my brother. The reason I was in the store! I have a lot of brass for that caliber so I am hoping to get a set of dies soon and get started.

It should be pretty darn simple to neck down the 7mm-08 brass. Pay close attention to neck thickness. I doubt there is enough extra metal stored in that half a millimeter, but ya sure don't want the brass to run out of room expanding to let the bullet out!

Upcoming Events

Falcon Gun Show - Classic Gun & Knife Show
Stanwood, WA
Lakeview Spring Gun Show
Lakeview, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top