JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
...who would have guessed 'tac' served in WW2?

sidecar2.png

"
It was considered a likely candidate to be assigned to mountain or airborne units, being, as it was, a nimble, lightweight, small little thing. It was officially known as "Harley-Davidson Shaft-Drive, Two Wheel Drive, Motorcyle with Side Car. Thus, T-AC stuck a shipping label onto it, and sent it off to Camp Hale, in Pando, Colorado, site of the Mountain Training Center.

Testing was short, and the report basically boiled down to two lines.

The machine started easily at temperatures as low as -20 and operated suitably over mountain trails.

The machine had poor towing ability and, since this is a major requirement of mountain vehicles, the use of the motorcycle is not recommended.
"
sidecar4.png

etc

Light vehicles don't do well towing - especially with a small footprint on the ground (motorcycles have a very small footprint compared to most 4 wheeled vehicles like a jeep).

I have a two wheel tractor (Grillo 107d - like a rototiller, but with a PTO and different attachments I can remove and swap out - like a tiller, plow, mower, chipper, etc.). It can't pull a small harrow. It weighs 500 pounds with the flail mower. A 4WD ATV of the same weight would probably be able to pull the harrow - it would have 4 times or more the ground contact - a heavier one would certainly be able to pull it. As would a 4WD tractor of the same weight or more. I don't have either so I pulled the harrow around with my Toyota pickup - with no problems.

When I try to pull logs I often have problems with my pickup, but my flatbed, which weighs 3 times as much and has 6 wheels (DRW) - so about 50% more ground contact - feels like it doesn't even know it is pulling something.

OTOH, when in soft mud and rough terrain, the flatbed gets stuck very easily compared to the pickup, and my dirt bike rarely gets stuck.

I may get one of these:

I did not know there was a neutered model.

It wasn't a Rokon. I said it was "similar". Sorry I should have been more explicit. There are a number of bikes like the Rokon - similar layout, big fat tires, no suspension, air cooled Briggs & Stratton (or similar). The newer Rokons have suspensions now and are improved, but I would still rather ride a more conventional motorcycle. To each their own.

Upcoming Events

Falcon Gun Show - Classic Gun & Knife Show
Stanwood, WA
Lakeview Spring Gun Show
Lakeview, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top