JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
I noticed the soul-less term in the metric=tacticool thread. Does a rifle need a wood and steel combination to have a soul?

My go to rifles have evolved into aluminum, steel and composites am I doomed? Are you?

(I'm sure I could be saved with a Winchester Model 71 donation)

Lol, reminds me of a guy that my dad was friends with.

He drove a VW Thing.

Said new cars are soulless. Especially my little Toyota Yaris I drive at the time.

Always made me smile.

Baby boomers being baby boomers.

Interesting post, as I am considering purchasing an accurate .22 rimfire for our club's 100 yard matches. Trying to decide between the Ruger Precision Rimfire and a CZ 455 or 452 American. So plastic, evil black made in USA vs classic Turkish walnut stock Yugoslavian import, known for accuracy. Leaning towards the CZ, since all my rifles are synthetic stocks, and I haven't heard of anyone complain about the accuracy of the CZ's.

Last Edited:
My favorite to shoot has a soul and has no wood on it. I think it comes down to the person.

Now I have to admit that I have a family heirloom and it has some extra soul. Yes it has Blued steel and wood stock. :cool:

My favorite to shoot has a soul and has no wood on it. I think it comes down to the person.

Now I have to admit that I have a family heirloom and it has some extra soul. Yes it has Blued steel and wood stock. :cool:

Same for me. But the guns I have with wood aren't about the gun itself, but my family that owned them before me. I look at guns, and think of the people. If that's called soul, then I suppose I could get behind the idea.

I have seen many old rifles in the LGS racks. Some probably have a cool story if they could speak. But since I don't know the previous owners or otherwise, all I see is a tool.

I have seen many old rifles in the LGS racks. Some probably have a cool story if they could speak. But since I don't know the previous owners or otherwise, all I see is a tool.

Disagree to a point. I have seen some really cool rifles that have soul. @AndyinEverson muzzle loader comes to mind. But then again I guess I got the back story with it and that could have given it soul. So disregard my comment I'm just typing. LOL

Aluminum, plastic and steel - they all fall under the same paradigm of The Riddle of Steel. To think it has a soul or not is absurd. It is merely the extension of your soul, your will.
Whether wood or other accoutrements lend it any more character or personality is a matter of taste.

He drove a VW Thing.
Not to go off topic but it has to be the most butt ugly car built.
The Thing or AMC Pacer can lay claim to that one...

Interesting term. Huh. Well they are just tools are they not?

For me, guns like ARs, polymer framed pistols, plain synthetic stocks on rifles and shotguns, relegate the gun to "tool" status. They are strictly utilitarian.

A handmade rifle like a Pre-64 Winchester Model 70 or a worked over 1911 has a "warm" feeling to them. Almost like they are alive. Not the cold plastic and aluminum feel. A Ruger No. 1 or a Winchester high wall or levergun feels lively in the hands.

But, a utilitarian rifle can give me the same feeling. A nice barrelled action chambered in a cool cartridge hand bedded into a quality laid-up fiberglass stock and properly scoped so that its lively like a fine shotgun...also can have a soul.

The only polymer I got on my AK is the gas tube cover...

But I don't really see any gun with a soul. Otherwise I'd feel bad if I dropped one. o_O

Anything else is personal taste.

I noticed the soul-less term in the metric=tacticool thread. Does a rifle need a wood and steel combination to have a soul?

Yes.

But a little Gold and engraving helps. :s0112:

DSCN2125 (3).JPG

Last Edited:

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show