JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
A similar camera/computer system is already at work in Britain, but it is in traffic cameras, not in cop cars. Most large cities there have masses of surveilance cameras screening traffic on most streets. But the kicker is that their computers record license plates at each camera and collate the data to track the progress of any car's route as it moves under a series of cameras. I imagine that the data is kept permanently so the travels of each car are searchable forever. I also suspect that no warrant is needed to do this, since a public travel must be public record. I wonder how far they have gotten with facial-recognition software for use with the sidewalk surveillance cameras that they also have masses of?

Coincidentally, I just viewed a really good video called "Eyeborgs" that gives insights to these issues. It is a quite entertaining near-future science fiction movie about self-propelled computer/camera robots that were developed and widely distributed to fight terrorism using facial and body recognition to track people. The population takes these surveillance robots for granted as necessary to fight crime and terrorism. The drama comes when some detectives and radicals discover that the system has been mysteriously hacked, so that video surveilance records are secretly altered, and false terrorist acts are staged for political benefit. The plot thickens as it is discovered that the camera robots have been mounted with covert weapons and can eliminate people who know too much about them! Big fun, but also a movie with a message about the perils of too much surveilance destroying the freedom that it was designed to protect. NetFlix has it. "Eyeborgs". Good vid!..............................elsullo

This program is nothing new and is designed to catch stollen vehicles and scan for people with warrants. At any time a cop can do a "rolling stop" and scan for your plate manually for any reason...once the plate came back stollen or registered owner had a warrant a traffic stop ensued. However, this program is more "instant" than someone manually logging and checking each plate that passes by.

This system has saved people's lives...this has caught kidnappers, child molestors, stollen cars, foiled robberies and burglaries. If you are worried about your car being "scanned" by one of these, then take public transportation!

This stuff isn't kept or logged, only "red flag hits" get logged for reference and can be subpoenaed for court. Worry when they chip your plates...not when they scan for them.

Some of you guys are just paranoid...

This program is nothing new and is designed to catch stollen vehicles and scan for people with warrants. At any time a cop can do a "rolling stop" and scan for your plate manually for any reason...once the plate came back stollen or registered owner had a warrant a traffic stop ensued. However, this program is more "instant" than someone manually logging and checking each plate that passes by.

This system has saved people's lives...this has caught kidnappers, child molestors, stollen cars, foiled robberies and burglaries. If you are worried about your car being "scanned" by one of these, then take public transportation!

This stuff isn't kept or logged, only "red flag hits" get logged for reference and can be subpoenaed for court. Worry when they chip your plates...not when they scan for them.

But, but, but, it is the government coming to get us.;)
I have nothing to hide and therefore no reason to worry about plate scanners. Even if someone were to be using such a thing to track my movements, I have nothing to hide. A product like this is far more likely to help me than hurt me.

As Kissenger said, even a paranoid has enemies.

But, but, but, it is the government coming to get us.;)
I have nothing to hide and therefore no reason to worry about plate scanners. Even if someone were to be using such a thing to track my movements, I have nothing to hide. A product like this is far more likely to help me than hurt me.

LOL. The point is that we should not be under a microscope all of the time. I am not wanted, nor do I have anything to hide. I just believe in privacy and am not a fan of crap like this.

Where does violation of privacy end in the name of the greater good? Do we allow just random searches of cars, or even homes? Where is the line?

**** yes I am paranoid when it comes to huge government power. The framers of the Constitution were paranoid about that too!

Wouldn't bother me so much but they make up laws that won't let us vidio them while they work. What have they got to hide???

jj

The technology sounds good but it's the people running it or in contact with it that makes me "paranoid". I too don't have much to hide, I say MUCH because I believe we all have something to hide..... doesn't have to be something bad but just SOMETHING.
They told us the naked body scanners at the air ports were no problem and that they don't save your information/pictures....... well we now know they lied. As long as the government is involved, I can't trust. I just keep my fingers crossed and hope that the technology is being used in a positive manor.

I can't remember what show... "Cops, Speeders, Worlds Scariest Police Chases, Etc." that I saw this on... FWIW, and of course this is strictly my opinion. I have no problem with the running of the plates. That's no different than having a cop behind you and running your plate. (Which the courts have upheld that they do not need P.C. to do)

However, I do not feel they should be able to retain that information. Espcially location and time of day. Think of how many police officers you pass in a single day. They could de-facto "track" a majority of the residents of a entire metro area. It's along the same lines as the 9th Circuit Court's recent decision to allow police to GPS a vehicle without a warrant. Yes I understand that you are in public and that they can get the same information by putting a 24 tail on, but budget considerations alone dictate that they are only able to to do that to people that they are seriously interested in who have committed a crime.

Dont give me the "You have nothing to hide, so you have nothing to worry about" line either. That is not the point. I follow the rules. I am not a felon. I have broken no serious laws. (People who say they are completely innocent are liars, no such thing) I deserve to go peacefully about my life, taking care of the things I need to take care of, contributing to the economy, being a good citizen, etc etc. without government intervention. They have rules they are suppose to follow to. If the ones who are supposed to "enforce" the rules, do not follow the rules. Then what do you have left?

**I'm by no means a conspiracy theorist. Some may call me naive, but I do not believe that the govt was behing 9/11. There may or may not have been WMD in Iraq. But to the one's who "have nothing to hide"... What's happens if the SHTF... What's happens when if all the sudden there is a dramatic extremist power/grab in this country... And all the sudden you, the person who has nothing to hide, find your self on the wrong side of martial law and rescinded 2nd Amendment Rights and all that stuff... How easy will be for the those who are in power to do a search for every place your vehicle have been "scanned" for the last five years... I know for a fact that in Oregon your CHL is tied to your Drivers License number in NCIS and that every time your registration is run it alerts that you have a CHL. Who do you think "They" are gonna come after first... But then again, you have nothing to hide. **

This has rambled on longer then it was supposed to. /endrant

Last Edited:
Wouldn't bother me so much but they make up laws that won't let us vidio them while they work. What have they got to hide???

jj

Now THAT is another problem entirely...one that I agree with you on. Now-a-days virtually every traffic stop is recorded...everything you say and do is on record. Why can you not do the same? Why can't you record a public servant? I'm not talking about when he/she is off duty...but when they are in uniform they should be under the public's eye.

STOP STOP with the intrusion's already. Enough is efin enough!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

If you think that's bad, try websites such as Bing Maps or Google Earth. I can get your information through the county if you own land. I can use something like Bing Maps that allows you to look at houses at any angle. I use google to find all sorts of stuff about you. Hope you're not on Facebook or Myspace. Got a cell phone? There are apps that can probably find you and show where you're at.

Sure as **** hope you don't work for any type of government agency because that's all disclosable information. Do you think your voting records are private? Hope you didn't sign any petitions. That's the easy one. Pull a petition register and your address and information is on it. Now I know where you live and how you vote. Probably an easy way to get in the front door of your house. "Hello sir, my name is so-and-so and I work for the (insert) party and would like to talk to you about a new law or a candidate blah blah blah". Now I'm in the door.

Better yet, leave your mail in your mailbox overnight and you've just funded a shopping spree on your behalf. Gotta love places like Wal-Mart that cash checks for you.

And you don't even have to be a cop or the government. All accessible by your average private citizen.

King County posts flloorplans of private houses. I haven't seen my cousin in 10 years, but found out after doing some searching exactly where he lays his head at night and his kids too. Pretty useful info to a robber. Scary as ****!!!

If you think that's bad, try websites such as Bing Maps or Google Earth. I can get your information through the county if you own land. I can use something like Bing Maps that allows you to look at houses at any angle. I use google to find all sorts of stuff about you. Hope you're not on Facebook or Myspace. Got a cell phone? There are apps that can probably find you and show where you're at.

Sure as **** hope you don't work for any type of government agency because that's all disclosable information. Do you think your voting records are private? Hope you didn't sign any petitions. That's the easy one. Pull a petition register and your address and information is on it. Now I know where you live and how you vote. Probably an easy way to get in the front door of your house. "Hello sir, my name is so-and-so and I work for the (insert) party and would like to talk to you about a new law or a candidate blah blah blah". Now I'm in the door.

Better yet, leave your mail in your mailbox overnight and you've just funded a shopping spree on your behalf. Gotta love places like Wal-Mart that cash checks for you.

And you don't even have to be a cop or the government. All accessible by your average private citizen.

Dammmmmmmmmmm! 1984 has arrived in spades! :s0131:

Dammmmmmmmmmm! 1984 has arrived in spades! :s0131:

Its scary what technology and "freedom of information" has done to our privacy. So many people do things under the 1st Amendment aren't challenged because we think there is unlimited free speech.

A lot of "freedom of information" stuff is very dangerous. It seems like our country was greater when we didn't really know what was going on :s0114:

Years ago the 68 gun control act required that all amunition bought had to go on record. The belief was they could use your buying ammo as evidence you used it in a crime. This record keeping went on for years and not one crime was solved by all the information gathered. Government is big on information but the bueacrats that go over it are normally worth about 50% a normal worker.

If you want to do something then overload them with information that is meaningless. Fill their systems with garbage every chance you get. Make them work for what they get. LOL

jj

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

Back Top