JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
It's been a few months, so time for an update. Training is divided into three 3 week phases: Red, White, and Blue. The first two weeks of Red Phase were heartbreaking and he struggled greatly with being there. At the end of Red and beginning of White Phase, he started receiving mail and more regular calls which helped tremendously. White Phase is about Marksmanship for 3 weeks. Iron sights, Optic, night vision, zeroing, multiple distance targets, and qualification. Qualification testing is 23 of 40 targets which he did on his first day of shooting, but he thinks he messed up his zero, so did not do as well as he normally would. This last Thursday was the final qualification and he shot 36 of 40; Expert! He is now finishing his first week of Blue Phase. This will be a ton of field training, urban tactics, squads, grenades, combat, navigation, etc. and culminates in the 96 hour 40 mile Forge before Turning Green on October 7. He is doing so much better now and looking forward to graduating. We have booked our flight and hotel for the graduation and 4 days with him. Following that, 12 weeks of Infantry and Airborne training, with two weeks home for Christmas, and finishing in January. So proud of how far he and his buddies have gone.

It's been a few months, so time for an update. Training is divided into three 3 week phases: Red, White, and Blue. The first two weeks of Red Phase were heartbreaking and he struggled greatly with being there. At the end of Red and beginning of White Phase, he started receiving mail and more regular calls which helped tremendously. White Phase is about Marksmanship for 3 weeks. Iron sights, Optic, night vision, zeroing, multiple distance targets, and qualification. Qualification testing is 23 of 40 targets which he did on his first day of shooting, but he thinks he messed up his zero, so did not do as well as he normally would. This last Thursday was the final qualification and he shot 36 of 40; Expert! He is now finishing his first week of Blue Phase. This will be a ton of field training, urban tactics, squads, grenades, combat, navigation, etc. and culminates in the 96 hour 40 mile Forge before Turning Green on October 7. He is doing so much better now and looking forward to graduating. We have booked our flight and hotel for the graduation and 4 days with him. Following that, 12 weeks of Infantry and Airborne training, with two weeks home for Christmas, and finishing in January. So proud of how far he and his buddies have gone.
Thank you for the update - great to hear things are starting to go very well!

Finished Basic Training and "Turned Green" on Oct. 7, 2022. Spent 4 amazing days with him. Tears of joy, pride, and missing him. Now he begins his 12 weeks of Infantry Training.

IMG_3795.JPG

He is at Fort Benning in Georgia. Enjoyed the trip, with the exception of Atlanta's Airport, and seeing Columbus. If anyone ever goes there, the National Infantry Museum is INCREDIBLE and free to see.
That part of the country is beautiful and great to visit... just not in summer... or hurricane season...

Glad to hear that he is adjusting to military life... There are plenty of benefits to military service. The new GI Bill is much better than the one I had in the 90's.

Tell him to get a much schooling as possible.

That part of the country is beautiful and great to visit... just not in summer... or hurricane season...

Glad to hear that he is adjusting to military life... There are plenty of benefits to military service. The new GI Bill is much better than the one I had in the 90's.

Tell him to get a much schooling as possible.
Absolutely! He has had a tough adjustment to get through Basic as he has never been away from home for an extended period of time, diversity of people, and across the country on his own. He is dealing with his homesickness, fear, and anxiety better, but there are still times.

Once he gets stationed, we will definitely be talking more about education, vocation, etc. to prepare for when he returns to civilian life.

Update for 12/5/22:

My young man started his final field training exercise on Saturday and returns on Thursday after their stop at Honor Hill:

He passed his Physical Fitness Test a few weeks ago while sick and his Airborne Fitness Test the week after.

Last week was Fun Week: shooting the M2 .50 Caliber Machine Gun and Mark 19 Automatic Grenade Launcher. He also saw the Carl Gustaf, AT4, and BDM Rocket/Missle Launchers in action. As much as he loves shooting his M249, he LOVES the M2 even more.

He is not sure what they are doing next week, but is definitely excited to be home for Christmas from 12/16 - 1/4. He then returns for two more weeks and then Turns Blue on 1/20/23:

A NSFW commentary on 11Bs:

Off to Airborne afterwards.

Darn kid is "scribbling outside the lines on my heart."

UPDATE

CONGRATULATIONS, Gabe, you did it! My youngest is an official US Army Infantry soldier following his "Turning Blue" ceremony on 1/19/23 and graduating OSUT on 1/20/23. His mom, brother, sister in law, nephew, and I flew out to see the ceremonies and spend the weekend with him. He got to be a part of "Hooah Squad" during graduation to show the attendees what a modern soldier squad looks like with all their equipment. He was so happy to be able to carry an AT4 with his rifle and other equipment. What a privilege to see both ceremonies and the history behind them; makes me feel pride in this tradition. Now, he is waiting for his 3 weeks of Airborne training to begin within the next week or two.

Mom Turning him Blue:

image_50736641.jpg

Mom and Brother

image_67217665.JPG

Nephew

image_67233537.jpg

Thank you all for your prayers and support. More to come!

Last Edited:
UPDATE

CONGRATULATIONS, Gabe, you did it! My youngest is an official US Army Infantry soldier following his "Turning Blue" ceremony on 1/19/23 and graduating OSUT on 1/20/23. His mom, brother, sister in law, nephew, and I flew out to see the ceremonies and spend the weekend with him. He got to be a part of "Hooyah Squad" during graduation to show the attendees what a modern soldier squad looks like with all their equipment. He was so happy to be able to carry an AT4 with his rifle and other equipment. What a privilege to see both ceremonies and the history behind them; makes me feel pride in this tradition. Now, he is waiting for his 3 weeks of Airborne training to begin within the next week or two.

Mom Turning him Blue:

View attachment 1352998

Mom and Brother

View attachment 1352999

Nephew

View attachment 1353009

Thank you all for your prayers and support. More to come!
Congratulations to your son, Gabe! And a hearty congratulations to you and your wife for raising such upstanding citizens that they would choose to serve our great nation.

Hard Update to Write

Gabe transferred to Airborne School this last Sunday. He signed his Official End of Airborne Training today. Tuesday was the zipline training from the 35 foot towers and he said his brain and body just froze up in fear. He was not able to do it. He called in the afternoon scared and upset. He was afraid we would all be upset or disappointed in him and is fearful of where he will now be stationed as Alaska will likely not be an option. We assured him that we are very proud of him and does not diminish anything he has accomplished. It is not natural to jump from those heights or drop out of a plane. Most people can't do it as well as many Officers and NCOs. Airborne is optional, not a requirement. We also assured him that we continue to support him, will have contact, etc. regardless of where he is stationed. It will just be a different adventure than originally planned. It is so hard to see him hurting, upset, and disappointed at not achieving what he thought he wanted for his goal. One of those hard life moments we all have to learn to deal with. He was sounding better this afternoon and said he is at peace with his decision. Next is to find out where he will be stationed.

Update 2/22/23:

We learned yesterday that since dropping Airborne, his FDS will now be Fort Polk Louisiana by March 1. Not the greatest of duty stations, but they have done a lot of improvements and we are keeping it positive and supportive for him. For anyone who has been there or served there, we would be grateful for any information you could share to help him out. Thanks!

I was proud to serve my country, but as far as Im concerned about the future of my three high school boys; Ill be damned if I let them go off to war to help someone elses damn country when we have so many seriously unresolved issues here at home.

I suggest to them; why not work to preserve freedom and democracy here at home before running off to some third world shyte hole to make some corporate fat cat even richer than they already are. Yes, It is an honor to serve your country, but our government does our military dishonor by misusing them the way we as the American people allow them to do.

I tell them that they can join when we can get the government to stop using our military to further their own political and corporate interests..

I also tell them that commitment is paramount. And that they'll never get a fraction of the personal and career benefit they could get out of the service unless they are committed 100%. I learned this during my time. My chiefs wouldn't lift a finger to help my progress unless they were sure that I was going to be a lifer. I guess I must have reeked of doubt or something because I saw others being walked by the hand into the circle even when I had better evals, superior ASVAB numbers, better quals.

Should have just lied through my teeth and played the game. That was one thing I was never very good at, and I wish that Id had someone who could have taught me the ins and outs of that game before I went in.

I tell them not to go in enlisted, but rather to certainly aim high and go in on a commissioning program. I have two high school buddies who went to the AF academy and to Annapolis and their experiences have been a completely different world compared to mine.. It truly was the time of my life, but with better guidance (to help me adjust my attitude) it could have been so much more, I feel.

Update 8/12/23

Our son completed his first year on 7/26/23 at Fort Polk. Today, his unit, along with the rest of Fort Polk, went to Tigerland to begin a month long JRTC called " The Box." War Games for the month through Labor Day. Or, as those in command say, "A Million Dollar a Day Game of Paintball." In any case, he is excited and nervous as he does not know what to expect. All he knows is Geronimo can and will do whatever is needed to win. Looking forward to hearing from him and his stories when he returns. Prayers for him and all the other soldiers training.

Update 9/28/23

What an update to provide! Son was home for two weeks over the 4th of July and had a great time together; we LOVE this holiday and extra special given his enlistment. He also bought his first car, but had to keep it at home to figure out how to get it to him. In addition, he was in "The Box" for most of August and first part of September.

"The Box" is JRTC War Training to prepare troops for oversees service. This was the most brutal rotation in over 30 years due to 110°+ weather, 90%+ humidity, and 550 fires burning in the area. Heat exhaustion, dehydration, injury, etc. to contend with. Despite the conditions, he finished proudly. Upon return to the fort, of course, he wants his car.

Despite trying to ship it, the wife and I decided "why not? Let's drive it." In addition, his 20th birthday was last Sunday, so we could spend several days together after his shift and he has Friday through Monday off. So, we left last Saturday and about 2800 miles later through 9 states, arrived at Fort Polk on Tuesday.

We have had a great time with him, but today was extra special. He and his roommate were both promoted to PFC and we were able to attend this and meet his company and commanders. Birthday lunch later and then birthday dinner and gifts when he was off for the weekend. what a FANTASTIC day.

So proud of him, what he has accomplished so far, and seeing his confidence grow.

Happy Birthday, Buddy, I love you so much!

Upcoming Events

Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR
Falcon Gun Show - Classic Gun & Knife Show
Stanwood, WA
Wes Knodel Gun & Knife Show - Albany
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews