JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
Okay, wasn't really planning on it but sold my XD9 to a fellow co-worker here in Oregon. Yes, he meets all requirements for owning a handgun in Oregon.

I bought the gun new and guess (that keeps me from assuming ;)) that it is registered to me.

It is the first gun that I've sold. Do I need to do anything to register it to my co-worker? Is it an issue? Does he need to do anything?

Right now he has the gun, I have the money and we are both happy. Do we need to do anything to make anyone else happy??

You could write up a bill of sale and have him sign it. That way it's in writing that the gun is no longer in your ownership. Or you could both go down to a FFL and have him make it legal in the books.

But no, it doesn't really matter.

In Oregon there is no gun reg. A simple bill of sale is all that the Police Dept. recommends and even this is not required per my conversation with PPB a month ago regarding this issue.

Free Firearm Bill Of Sale
Above is a link to a free bill of sale that I use for transactions for piece of mind and records only. As stated above Oregon does not require a BOS but common sense does. If a weapon were stolen or used in a crime ect. and he/she was not a close friend or you were unable to contact them after a period of time you may have some explaining or research to do depending on the circumstances. There are cases when dealing with close friends that I don't use them but as a rule I think that it is good practice for both the buyer and seller.:s0155:

If your ex-gun is ever used in a crime and identified, the police will simply visit without drama and ask if it is still yours. They are quite aware that people sell or give guns away. All you need to do is tell them who you sold it to. If you don't know them personally, presenting a simple bill-of-sale might be useful---but is not required........................elsullo

Wait till they come to take your guns especially any guns in your name and then tell me how that works for ya. As I stated above it is not required but I will keep my piece of mind and most likely more thanks.:winkkiss:

cyclesarge, hmmmmm there is a gun show this weekend.

Thanks to everyone for the responses. Think I will go the Bill of Sale route.
He is a friend and I told him it covers me if he shoots anyone and covers him if he needs to prove ownership (like for insurance claim purposes).

A usefull bill of sale form is already available for download on this site, thanks to Joey Link who built it! Up at the top menu bar is the tab for "NWFA Resources" which drops down a box that has a "documents" tab which includes a good form for download. There is LOTS of good stuff available on those menu bars!

For those going to Oregon gunshows, stop at the show office and request a few private sale Blue Forms. This is the Oregon form to use when doing a private sale background check, required at gunshows but optional everywhere else. The Blue Form serves as an excellent bill of sale too, unfortunately without a carbon copy, so use two forms and feel like you are getting a little of your tax money back..........................elsullo :p

Free Firearm Bill Of Sale
Above is a link to a free bill of sale that I use for transactions for piece of mind and records only. As stated above Oregon does not require a BOS but common sense does. If a weapon were stolen or used in a crime ect. and he/she was not a close friend or you were unable to contact them after a period of time you may have some explaining or research to do depending on the circumstances. There are cases when dealing with close friends that I don't use them but as a rule I think that it is good practice for both the buyer and seller.:s0155:

I couldn't get that one downloaded so jonnysportr sent me a .jpg of it. I redid it in word and created a .pdf of it.

OK: here it is: FIREARM BILL OF SALE

----------------------------------------------------------

The "Trade Rating" is low by 3
Not everyone posts it I guess.

Deen
NRA Benefactor/Recruiter
WAC member
SWWAC member

How come everyone overlooked the obvious one. The one that is hosted here on the site itself? I use this one every transaction. I print off 2 copies, 1 for me, 1 for them. On trades I modified the language of it to reflect that. Then I do 4 copies, 1 for them as buyer and 1 for them as seller and same for me.

<broken link removed>

That being said. I prefer to do it, as does everyone who I have dealt with, just to cover yourself and them. But it is in no way LEGALLY required to do anything other than take the cash/gun.

It's just like selling a car, if they do something with it (shooting someone, getting parking/redlight tickets, etc.) and it comes back as you as the last owner, you sure want to be able to prove that you aren't the current owner of it just for your own sake.

How come everyone overlooked the obvious one. The one that is hosted here on the site itself?
the one I posted is more comprehensive?

----------------------------------------------------------

The "Trade Rating" is low by 3
Not everyone posts it I guess.

Deen
NRA Benefactor/Recruiter
WAC member
SWWAC member

It might be nice to add a phrase "buyer certifies that he is legally allowed to own a gun in Oregon(or whatever state)" along with the 21 certification.
How come everyone overlooked the obvious one. The one that is hosted here on the site itself? I use this one every transaction. I print off 2 copies, 1 for me, 1 for them. On trades I modified the language of it to reflect that. Then I do 4 copies, 1 for them as buyer and 1 for them as seller and same for me.

<broken link removed>

That being said. I prefer to do it, as does everyone who I have dealt with, just to cover yourself and them. But it is in no way LEGALLY required to do anything other than take the cash/gun.

It's just like selling a car, if they do something with it (shooting someone, getting parking/redlight tickets, etc.) and it comes back as you as the last owner, you sure want to be able to prove that you aren't the current owner of it just for your own sake.

Upcoming Events

Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

Back Top