JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Wow that is very nice watch. Looking at Amazon it is quite expensive.
If you only needed one watch, let it be this kind of G-Shock. Worth the price if you use the features, and I am still learning them on my G-shock, I found the Pro-Trek easier to use.

Also, shop around, of course.

Citizen Eco-Drive. Been going strong for over 15 years.
That looks like a nice line of watches. Which model do you have?
+1 for Citizen EcoDrive. I have a couple but this particular one is my favorite
20200115_114315.jpg
Much respect to professional watch photographers... getting a good picture of a well-lit watch is pretty hard.

Thanks for all the feedback; it's definitely down to a choice between the Casio Pro Trek and one of the Citizen Eco-drive models.

It's interesting that no one has advocated any Suunto models. I have one from the late 2000's, but wasn't impressed with how fast the 'water-resistance' failed. That's a key feature for my use-case. I spend as much time on the water as I can.

On a related note I also want to get a Garmin Foretrex 601; anyone have experience with one? it's a bit tempting to just get the basic 401 model, but the 601 has a much better battery life and some extra features for not much more money.

Last Edited:
Wow that is very nice watch. Looking at Amazon it is quite expensive.

It is expensive.

And not in the same way a fine mechanical watch is expensive. When the Gshock's motion is worn out, its a throw away.
The expense is in the durability. And its ability to maintain all the watches function until it dose wear out.

Basically it's a Glock. :s0112:

Now if I wasn't always smashing thing. I would wear a nice Grand Seiko spring drive [Love that smooth second hand]. Or maybe a Omega?

Oh you all fancy with your solar powered new age gadgets.

I rotate between:

IMG_7451.JPG

And these:

IMG_7452.JPG

IMG_7454.JPG

The pocket watches need to be wound; the below ones are automatics...though I end up winding them if I go too long between wears.

Last Edited:
Thanks for all the feedback; it's definitely down to a choice between the Casio Pro Trek and one of the Citizen Eco-drive models.

It's interesting that no one has advocated any Suunto models. I have one from the late 2000's, but wasn't impressed with how fast the 'water-resistance' failed. That's a key feature for my use-case. I spend as much time on the water as I can.

On a related note I also want to get a Garmin Foretrex 601; anyone have experience with one? it's a bit tempting to just get the basic 401 model, but the 601 has a much better battery life and some extra features for not much more money.
I bought a Suunto Traverse but returned before wearing, it just did not seem worth the money. Very lightweight, thus I attributed it to not being durable, maybe it was. I believe they are made in Finland and I love Finnish products (and their women). :D I recall the main let down was related to water proofness. PROPER ProTreks and G-Shocks are waterproofed to 200 meters, which is 660 ft. My Breitling is to 350 meters!!!!:eek:

I can't help you with the particular model you're looking at but, my Seiko SNE435P1 Solar is one I'll not part with. It hasn't lost a minute since getting it and power reserve is 10mo. on a charge.

thumbnail_IMG_0342[1][1].jpg

Our son gave me a Citizen Eco-Drive for Christmas a couple of years back. I have a few battery powered chronographs, all of which are in the case with dead batteries. The Citizen keeps great time. It's the only watch I wear now.

Note that I don't live a high speed low drag lifestyle, so I don't subject it to rough treatment.

I have a Citizen (unsure of model) and cannot recommend it enough. Their Eco-Drive technology has been around for decades and is well-proven. I bought it as-new off of Craigslist for $80, a model like it would probably retail in the $3-400 range. I treat it extremely roughly, with no concern for cosmetic care. The finish on the metal links of the band are significantly scuffed and scratched, there is often significant buildup of dirt between the links and around where the band meets the watch, etc. IT IS SO GOOD! The face is sapphire quartz, very scratch resistant, shows NO scratches despite the conditions I just described. The idea of NEVER having to consider a battery was the most important motivator in my choice and I feel confident that this watch will probably run as long from the energy of the sun as I will. I do encourage searching Craiglist (including out of state, even, cause e-payments to a seller is easy for most folks and it's a small item to ship), you can find good deals on Citizens.

Last Edited:
Still needs a battery after a couple years. Wife had a very nice solar watch. Lasted 4 years before the battery needed replacement. Better than a year, like most non solar last I guess. Still not like my automatic that just keeps on going as long as I wear it daily.

I dig the tide graph on that watch. Handy.

My solar Casio has been going strong 7 years...

Also I have one of their Pro Trek line with digital compass, barometer, altimeter, temperature, sun rise and set times plus a billion other functions. I've only had it 7 months or so though but I like it. I have a love affair with the Casio Tough Solar though, so cheap, functional and good looking...

My solar Casio has been going strong 7 years...

Also I have one of their Pro Trek line with digital compass, barometer, altimeter, temperature, sun rise and set times plus a billion other functions. I've only had it 7 months or so though but I like it. I have a love affair with the Casio Tough Solar though, so cheap, functional and good looking...

Cheap?

Link if some are interested

I ordered and am now wearing the Timex Solar Expedition (post #54 above) I love the band and the look-ish. The ring does not turn which was not an issue for me, but might be for some. I think I would have preferred Arabic numerals at 3, 6 and 9. No indego which is a feature of the quartz Expedition.

Solar/manual for spicy times, bu you might just consider a G-Shock and lay in a couple extra batteries. This one is inexpensive, under 50.

I've been wanting to get a solar-powered watch, and have been looking at the Casio Pro Trek line (specifically the Pro Trek PRW2500T Tough Solar Digital Sport Watch). It seems well reviewed, and I like the fact that it has a built in tide graph, since I like to crab.

A couple of features tho think about. Since you are fishing / crabing / at beach get one which is not less than 200 m water resistant.

If you go for a chrono like the Daytona (Antiques Road Show) Air Force Vet and his Rolex on antique roadshow
Get a screw down pushers - unlike the other model mentioned in that clip, Paul Neumans, non-screw down pushers. That feature goes a long way to keeping water, salt, sand, grit etc out.

Casio's are well regarded. The ones I have owned, it has been a while 80's, I remember fondly. I now prefer analog - just cause.

Not for nothing, G-Shock start at $50 (see earlier post) Use the savings for gas money.

It's been a bit of an tough decision for sure after reading the suggestions in this thread. I decided to go with the Casio Pro Trek PRW2500T, but those Citizen Eco-Drive models made the choice pretty hard. The nice thing is I can pretty much get the watch for free if I have a bit of patience and use my Amazon Rewards credit card for my reimbursable travel spend for work and build up points. In the meantime I've revived 3 of my old watches that I let the batteries die out on and haven't worn in awhile. I'd forgotten how much I liked wearing the G-Shock and Bulova Marine Star. I'm surprised my old Suunto Vector from like 2001 still works after sitting in a drawer for years.

20200131_153546_resized.jpg

A couple of features tho think about. Since you are fishing / crabing / at beach get one which is not less than 200 m water resistant.

If you go for a chrono like the Daytona (Antiques Road Show) Air Force Vet and his Rolex on antique roadshow
Get a screw down pushers - unlike the other model mentioned in that clip, Paul Neumans, non-screw down pushers. That feature goes a long way to keeping water, salt, sand, grit etc out.

Casio's are well regarded. The ones I have owned, it has been a while 80's, I remember fondly. I now prefer analog - just cause.

Not for nothing, G-Shock start at $50 (see earlier post) Use the savings for gas money.

Upcoming Events

Tillamook Gun & Knife Show
Tillamook, OR
"The Original" Kalispell Gun Show
Kalispell, MT
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top