JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
Went to a World Series game this year. It was wonderful! I know that the Super Bowl is also bigger than life. Even the NBA championships are pretty special to a lot of folks.

But...Soccer? I just heard on the news tonight that the Timbers, Portlands soccer team, won a championship of some kind. Didn't even know they were playing. Interest in soccer must be pretty generational, and I have no interest.

They moved minor league baseball out of Portland to make room for soccer, and I've never been in the stadium since.

Am I the odd man out? Anybody else interested in soccer?

WAYNO.

Not particularly interested, but I know a number of people that are. My boss is a huge Timber's fan, so no doubt he'll be on cloud 9 tomorrow. I am old enough to remember the Timber's team of the 1970's - even saw one game growing up. The game has never particularly appealed to me though.

I cant tell whats going on in soccer but they sure got a herd of fans in Portland. I think ya got to have kids in soccer, then you get it.

I find their name ironic..... since the Portland crowd helped shut down the timber industry in Oregon....

Meh, I had the back of my eyelids to watch. More important than a game.

I played the game as a kid and also coached for about 10 years until I broke the leg. Was good to see them win. Sorry to lose the Beavers when they did show as baseball is the game I love. Also coached that for about 20 yrs or so. Will be interesting to see if the town has a parade or ?

I find their name ironic..... since the Portland crowd helped shut down the timber industry in Oregon....

Meh, I had the back of my eyelids to watch. More important than a game.

Maybe we should beach about the name because of what the name represents (darn tree cutters) .........sarcasm

You don't like or understand a simple game played all over the world, the essence of which is, two teams trying to put a ball in a goal with everyone's hands tied behind their backs? Fine, like or dislike whatever you want. Me, I'm a fan and a referee; I watched various iterations of Timbers with high school dates, my wife, my son. Forty years is a long time to wait for a championship. Why pee on the parade? The rain that will fall on the parade will be from the sky and Timbers fans will soak it up. RCTID

You don't like or understand a simple game played all over the world, the essence of which is, two teams trying to put a ball in a goal with everyone's hands tied behind their backs? Fine, like or dislike whatever you want. Me, I'm a fan and a referee; I watched various iterations of Timbers with high school dates, my wife, my son. Forty years is a long time to wait for a championship. Why pee on the parade? The rain that will fall on the parade will be from the sky and Timbers fans will soak it up. RCTID
That pretty much sums it up..........:s0155:

I'm a soccer fan. In fact we have season tickets to the Portland Thorns (women's professional soccer league). The Timbers winning the MLS Cup is a huge deal, analogous to winning the Stanley Cup, the World Series or the Super Bowl. The US Womens Team even won the World Cup this year, beating every other country in the world to do so.

If you're the sort of person that doesn't like soccer because it's played around the world, is foreign or is "un-American" I would offer this thought on why we should support soccer in the US:

There is no better way to bring glory to the United States than beating the rest of the world at their own game.

Grew up overseas so soccer is my #1 sport.

Baseball is boring.
Football is all about the money.
Basketball... Also not a fan.
UFC 1-40ish was awesome - then it turned into Dana's personal golden goose.

Sports suck unless your playing:p

I like watching the Timbers, and it's nice to have another Major francise in PDX do well.

But I sure do miss the crack of a wooden bat hitting a ball out of old civic stadium, whilst sipping an overpriced beer, on a warm summers eve. :D

:D

image.jpeg

been playing since i was a kid...a lot of my family members played professional or semi-pro soccer overseas including my dad. So it's safe to say i'm a huge. My kids love it as well.
Soccer is a very simple sport and it's very fluid so there's action from start to finish.

Soccer........Eh.

Baseball, like watching paint age and peel.
Basketball, reckless gangster/babies.
Football, that's the game I enjoy. Far enough into the season that the highlights will do for me. Just not much of a spectator sports guy, I guess!:cool:

PS: One fair point. I do admire the Soccer players conditioning!:)

I'll grant you that winning a World Cup is akin to the SuperB owl (copy right & trade mark by billionaires)

But this MLS win is more like winning the Grey Cup.

Long live the greatest Football player in Grey Cup history - Doug Flutie!

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top