JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
My wife and I usually don't like having a car payment so we get cars that we can afford to buy outright, well we decided that this year we will be different and go to a lot and get a better car. One that is what we want, not just what we can afford with the cash we have on hand. We went down and started looking at cars at some lots. In short order we were frustrated with the stereotypical guys that needed the sale. That is until the last one we went to. First off, the salesman was very low pressure, if any at all. after we gave him our perimeters, he went to work looking for the right car in the price range WE wanted, not in his commission range. he found the one we wanted and we went for a test drive, it was perfect, just what we wanted. then we sat down with him and started negotiating. We had a set price range that we let them know, knowing full well that we really could go a little higher but not letting them know that. after the salesman went into the manager we were quite surprised when the manager came out and said that he could get it in our range for us. only after dropping $2000 off thier price. we drove away with a great car at a great price, or so we thought...fast forward two days, we checked our checking account and they had charged us $20 more than they were supposed to...my wife called to get this corrected and the manager said he was just calling us (I thought "sure he was"). He asked us to come down to the dealership to sign some more papers...HHMMMMMM fishy if you ask me, but we wanted to get the overcharge taken care of anyway. When we got there, the manager showed us why...he had been working some more on our loan (the one we were already happy with and had already signed a contract for) he got our percentage rate cut by more than half saving us about $3000 over the life of the loan. We resigned the papers and went happily on our way! we did not even care about the $20.

How did he get you a better rate? I always thought being responsible with my credit and paying my notes on time got me the best rates available.

I'm not trying to be a downer but it sounds like the dealer screwed up to me.

It was Royal Motors in McLaughlin. If anyone is looking for a good deal, go see them. We picked up a 2004 Mazda 6 with all of the bells and whistles leather,heated seats, all electric, electric sun roof, new tires blah, blah, blah . We did a blue book on it and found we got it for about $3,000 below what KBB said it was worth.

How did he get you a better rate? I always thought being responsible with my credit and paying my notes on time got me the best rates available.

I'm not trying to be a downer but it sounds like the dealer screwed up to me.
The dealer shopped around and played with the amounts with different banks. the rate I initially got was a better rate thought I would get after my Ex wife got through with my credit a few years ago. I have been rebuilding ever since. I also forgot to mention that he also got us a 3 year 36000 mile B2B Warrenty on the car as well! Heck of a deal!

Sorry if I came across as crass but it burns me when the car dealer says "I got you a great rate!"

Umm, no you didn't, I got me a great rate. Glad to hear you got a good deal.

Anyone looking to buy new, Costco has a great program. My wife and I are looking on getting a commuter car and so far, going through Costco is by far the cheapest. The new price for a Fiesta is cheaper then a vehicle we saw used with 25K miles. If you're not familiar you basically go to their website, pic the car you want and options. It will show you the price you'll pay. When a dealer close to you get that car in or one close to it, they will call and then you go sign papers. My sister did it when she bought her new pickup and it was very easy and low pressure.

For used I've gone through the broker at my Credit Union as have my parents. It's Clackamas Federal and we both have had very good experiences.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top