JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Pretty open ended question, I mean how did you protect it? :D

Is there any issues with having it laminated? Ok to laminate it folded over? Seems crazy honestly that they issue you a chunk of paper that they expect you to have on your person for 5 years.

It also seems like its kind of a odd size, Laminated I am not sure it will fit in the ID pocket in my wallet.

Just wanted some feedback before I do the wrong thing.

Last Edited:
I had mine(both times) laminated by the issuing departments (2 different counties) not a problem finding a place in my wallet to poke it away and fully readable. Congrats on your CPL.

I carefully folded mine and laminated it. I put it in my Alumawallet with my CHL and Utah license. It's my understanding that our back a$$wards state is considering changing it like OR & Utah

I have carried the paper card from B of A with my acct. numbers. And the business card given to me from my state farm agent. Both in my wallet since April 1991. There worn but legible.

I think your paper Washington CPL will last the three or four years it's good for.
Mine is holding up fine. I have both Wash, and Oregon permits.

Its 5 years, From now till 2020 seems like a long time to carry a chunk of paper. Seems like folding it in half and laminating it is the thing to do but it does end up being a little strange sized. Just making a two sided card the same size as your drivers license would be the logical thing to do, I guess the government is not known for being logical.

Last Edited:
folded down the middle, birth date line still showing on the front, police chief signature on the back. Laminated at Kinkos. After 5 years it still looked like new...

I used laminating sheet and folded it in half.
It's lasted longer than my oregon plastic card, which is cracked and breaking into two pieces.
I just renewed my WA CPL so I need to laminate it too.

My first one I made the mistake of not paying the extra and having it come laminated. After carrying my paper one for a couple of years it was frayed on the edges so I laminated it at kinkos. It has lasted but barely, laminate is falling apart and the paper is definitely fading. Fortunately my new one should be coming soon so I can stop OCing (yes I waited too long before renewing)

ODL's used to be paper many, many years ago, was pretty easy to make fake ID's for drinking , so I have heard. [/QUOTE]

Bars would accept temporary ID's in Calif. back in the day. I would get one, make a couple of copies in case I ruined the original, erase the numerical birth year with bleach and type in a new one. I used one of these from when I was 16 years old until I was 21. After I was legal it was a long time before I went to a bar. I had been there and done that. The funny part is that they were still checking my ID when I was over 30 years old.

One night a bunch of us went to a rock and roll club. One of us had a legal license. As the license was checked it was handed behind the holder's back to the next guy in line. I think seven of us got in on that one license. It was dark and the door man was using a flashlight. That was in the late 50's. I think the statute of limitations has run out. I hope so. I wouldn't want them to revoke my CHL.

Its 5 years, From now till 2020 seems like a long time to carry a chunk of paper. Seems like folding it in half and laminating it is the thing to do but it does end up being a little strange sized. Just making a two sided card the same size as your drivers license would be the logical thing to do, I guess the government is not known for being logical.

That's the way they do it here in Oregon.

I use 3 in clear packing tap and overlap to fit. I have done it this way with the first one I got in 1979 and every one after that all the way through today. Cheap and holds up great.

I've got both an OR CHL and a WA CPL. So far, I've just left the WA permit folded in my wallet. A co-worker from WA did laminate his, but it does end up larger than a credit card, so it likely won't fit in a card slot. Hopefully WA will make the change to standard cards in the near future.

Mine and the wife's both came laminated (that was a couple of years ago from Thurston County). My only complaint is that it is a little bigger (taller and wider) than my DL, so I have to put it in a different spot in my wallet.

Ray

Upcoming Events

Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR
Arms Collectors of Southwest Washington (ACSWW) gun show
Battle Ground, WA

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top