JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Pretty open ended question, I mean how did you protect it? :D

Is there any issues with having it laminated? Ok to laminate it folded over? Seems crazy honestly that they issue you a chunk of paper that they expect you to have on your person for 5 years.

It also seems like its kind of a odd size, Laminated I am not sure it will fit in the ID pocket in my wallet.

Just wanted some feedback before I do the wrong thing.

Last Edited:
I had mine(both times) laminated by the issuing departments (2 different counties) not a problem finding a place in my wallet to poke it away and fully readable. Congrats on your CPL.

I carefully folded mine and laminated it. I put it in my Alumawallet with my CHL and Utah license. It's my understanding that our back a$$wards state is considering changing it like OR & Utah

I have carried the paper card from B of A with my acct. numbers. And the business card given to me from my state farm agent. Both in my wallet since April 1991. There worn but legible.

I think your paper Washington CPL will last the three or four years it's good for.
Mine is holding up fine. I have both Wash, and Oregon permits.

Its 5 years, From now till 2020 seems like a long time to carry a chunk of paper. Seems like folding it in half and laminating it is the thing to do but it does end up being a little strange sized. Just making a two sided card the same size as your drivers license would be the logical thing to do, I guess the government is not known for being logical.

Last Edited:
folded down the middle, birth date line still showing on the front, police chief signature on the back. Laminated at Kinkos. After 5 years it still looked like new...

I used laminating sheet and folded it in half.
It's lasted longer than my oregon plastic card, which is cracked and breaking into two pieces.
I just renewed my WA CPL so I need to laminate it too.

My first one I made the mistake of not paying the extra and having it come laminated. After carrying my paper one for a couple of years it was frayed on the edges so I laminated it at kinkos. It has lasted but barely, laminate is falling apart and the paper is definitely fading. Fortunately my new one should be coming soon so I can stop OCing (yes I waited too long before renewing)

ODL's used to be paper many, many years ago, was pretty easy to make fake ID's for drinking , so I have heard. [/QUOTE]

Bars would accept temporary ID's in Calif. back in the day. I would get one, make a couple of copies in case I ruined the original, erase the numerical birth year with bleach and type in a new one. I used one of these from when I was 16 years old until I was 21. After I was legal it was a long time before I went to a bar. I had been there and done that. The funny part is that they were still checking my ID when I was over 30 years old.

One night a bunch of us went to a rock and roll club. One of us had a legal license. As the license was checked it was handed behind the holder's back to the next guy in line. I think seven of us got in on that one license. It was dark and the door man was using a flashlight. That was in the late 50's. I think the statute of limitations has run out. I hope so. I wouldn't want them to revoke my CHL.

Its 5 years, From now till 2020 seems like a long time to carry a chunk of paper. Seems like folding it in half and laminating it is the thing to do but it does end up being a little strange sized. Just making a two sided card the same size as your drivers license would be the logical thing to do, I guess the government is not known for being logical.

That's the way they do it here in Oregon.

I use 3 in clear packing tap and overlap to fit. I have done it this way with the first one I got in 1979 and every one after that all the way through today. Cheap and holds up great.

I've got both an OR CHL and a WA CPL. So far, I've just left the WA permit folded in my wallet. A co-worker from WA did laminate his, but it does end up larger than a credit card, so it likely won't fit in a card slot. Hopefully WA will make the change to standard cards in the near future.

Mine and the wife's both came laminated (that was a couple of years ago from Thurston County). My only complaint is that it is a little bigger (taller and wider) than my DL, so I have to put it in a different spot in my wallet.

Ray

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads