JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
So my 6.5 Creedmoor is sporting a 28" Criterion SS bull barrel. I've been shooting the CM for awhile, but didn't get around to buying a case gauge for it until last week. I ordered a Wilson gauge, but here's where it gets weird. Fired brass slides right in! Unsized, unwashed, but still goes in like new unfired brass. Once it's cleaned, the only way I can tell it from new/sized brass is that a bullet will slide through the neck.

So is this common, or do I have a defective gauge? I've never had this sort of result with any other rifle or pistol, fired brass NEVER fits a case gauge without resizing first. Under the circumstances, I went ahead and ordered a Lee collet neck sizing die, and that seems to be working just fine. But again, the brass that's now been fired AT LEAST twice is still sliding right into the case gauge. Don't really want to buy a second gauge just to compare, but this just feels wrong to me. Later.

Dave

So my 6.5 Creedmoor is sporting a 28" Criterion SS bull barrel. I've been shooting the CM for awhile, but didn't get around to buying a case gauge for it until last week. I ordered a Wilson gauge, but here's where it gets weird. Fired brass slides right in! Unsized, unwashed, but still goes in like new unfired brass. Once it's cleaned, the only way I can tell it from new/sized brass is that a bullet will slide through the neck.

So is this common, or do I have a defective gauge? I've never had this sort of result with any other rifle or pistol, fired brass NEVER fits a case gauge without resizing first. Under the circumstances, I went ahead and ordered a Lee collet neck sizing die, and that seems to be working just fine. But again, the brass that's now been fired AT LEAST twice is still sliding right into the case gauge. Don't really want to buy a second gauge just to compare, but this just feels wrong to me. Later.

Dave
Bolt gun? Not all chambers are identical. Brass is elastic and will spring back a slight amount after firing. Semi autos are more likely to stretch brass to where it wouldn't meet spec (fit in the Wilson case gauge) because of being pulled from the chamber while pressure is still present..
My fired brass goes back into the chamber of a Swede Mauser without sizing. If the bolt closes on that fired case, consider yourself a lucky guy. And only neck size.

Edit: As usual, if I've got anything wrong, I'm open to learning/correction.

If you've been loading and firing that caliber already what was the purpose for the case gauge?

Not being a smart bubblegum, truly curious.
My case gauge is my chamber.

The barrel maker who chambered the barrel can provide some insight. But, gauge or no, if it fires accurately, chambers and extracts without a problem, you need no gauge. It sounds like a match chamber. Or just on the minimum size for 6.5 chambers.

I've been shooting the CM for awhile, but didn't get around to buying a case gauge for it until last week. I ordered a Wilson gauge, but here's where it gets weird. Fired brass slides right in! Unsized, unwashed, but still goes in like new unfired brass.
Wilson case gauges are designed to be used with fired cases to check length only...

These guys are a tough crowd....

What you are asking about is typical of pieces of brass fired in some of my guns though not all. I'd have to check, but I think my M77 brass won't rechamber.
I had two guns of the same caliber, both had barrels turned by the same gunsmith, where brass fired in the first and neck sized was too long at the shoulder and would not fit in the 2nd.
I don't think I'll find a single piece of AR brass fired in my ARs that will fit a case gauge.
My bro has a Tikka that will not chamber the occasional piece of factory ammo.

Please mic the following dimensions and post them.
  1. ID of your case gauge at the neck
  2. OD of the neck of your fired brass (average of 10 pieces)
  3. ID of the neck of your fired brass (average of 10 pieces)
  4. ID and OD of the neck of sized brass (average)
Can't say what's at issue, but the case gauge is to determine whether the brass will fit SAAMI chamber dimensions.
Find one piece of brass that will NOT fit into your chamber and measure its dimensions.
Or, you can get some Cerrosafe, take a chamber cast, measure the dimensions and settle your question like a mic drop.

I've never used a case gauge and have been loading for 25 years.....however I would check that a bullet slips into the fired case to make sure the neck isn't tight which in my opinion is the only downside to a tight chamber. If the neck size is good, I'd prefer tight chambers on a bolt gun.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top