JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
I like to use the thick cardboard "flats" or trays that canned food , fruit and the like , that are shipped to places like Costco.

Stand the "flat" up...with the back side facing you...
Tape your targets on ...
Weigh the bottom of the flat with rocks...
Shoot....

As for targets...
I really enjoy shooting at those left over bits of clay birds and spent shotgun shells.

When cleaning up after yourself...
The "flat" makes a handy place to put spent shells and trash...so you can take 'em home.
Andy

The bases that take firring strips for uprights are compact and easy to setup, used to make my own, but they are cheaper to buy now. The rebar a-frame for steel swingers are easily toted around also.

I'm not sure what's best, really? I got one of these as sort of a gift. I liked the way it worked with different widths. It was light and seemed strong enough, with none of the complaints of the cheapy steel stands. I decided to get another one so Wifey and I would each have our own. They have tabs in the holders so the firing strips fit nice and snug.

I like to use the thick cardboard "flats" or trays that canned food , fruit and the like are shipped to places like Costco.

Stand the "flat" up...with the back side facing you...
Tape your targets on ...
Weigh the bottom of the flat with rocks...
Shoot....

As for targets...
I really enjoy shooting at those left over bits of clay birds and spent shotgun shells.

When cleaning up after yourself...
The "flat" makes a handy place to put spent shells and trash...so you can take 'em home.
Andy

Just like the mountain men did back in the early 1800s eh Andy? Just card board and rocks! That's the way I started too!

Just like the mountain men did back in the early 1800s eh Andy? Just card board and rocks! That's the way I started too!
A fun and historically correct target that a mountain man could have shot at is :
Take a slab of wood like a "round"...
Draw a "X" on the center...A "chisel point" marker works well here...
Or if you want to be all historical...use a lead round ball...or charred stick from a camp fire...
And try to keep 3 -5 shots in between the lines where the lines intersect...without touching the lines....
Andy

Take a 1 gallon bucket. Take a chunk of 2" pvc the height of the bucket. Fill the bucket but not the pipe with quickcrete, tape over the pipe to keep it clear. Now grab some 1.5" pvc and some elbows to make a nice squared stand in a height and width you prefer. Some cardboard backers and painters tape to complete the assembly make for a good set of collapsable stands that take up very little room.

The advantage of this set-up is that if you miss and shatter any of the pipes they are cheap to replace.

I built some simple target stands that you can break down and put away when done that work pretty well.

PVC pipe, T's, elbows, some 1 x 2 wood and some poster board.

01 Target stand.jpg

I also wanted to shoot steel so I got a steel target stand, added a 2x4 and hung up some plates.

Steel target 02.jpg

061418 03.jpg

The PVC pipe and wood stands are super easy to build. I break them down and put them in a large drag bag when transporting and storing them. It's nice to have some spikes and a hammer to anchor them in place during shoots.

I built some simple target stands that you can break down and put away when done that work pretty well.

View attachment 725626

I also wanted to shoot steel so I got a steel target stand, added a 2x4 and hung up some plates.

View attachment 725628

View attachment 725629

The PVC pipe and wood stands are super easy to build. I break them down and put them in a large drag bag when transporting and storing them. It's nice to have some spikes and a hammer to anchor them in place during shoots.

You are so right about that. I'm somewhat ashamed that I bought rather made my own. :oops: I'm even frugal! (read:Cheap), and like doing my own work on things if a can.

View attachment 725626

View attachment 725628

View attachment 725629

I like this idea but I need I little more info:
What size of PVC pipe and how wide?
How tall are the wood post?

I got tired of having to check the target, and I just wanted my kids to be accurate to 8" diameter. So, I bought a set of gongs for rifle. The bought a set of 3" gongs for pistol. My pistol setup has shorter leg pipes.

We use the Yankee Thunder Hook and Hang. Now they are available on Amazon.

I promise you that when you break down and buy/shoot your first steel targets, you'll kick yourself and wonder why you waited so long. People will spend multiple gobs of money on guns and ammo but won't invest in some decent steel targets...which last forever if properly cared for.

Which steel is best and/or which steel target holder is best are separate threads unto themselves.

I have several of these that have served me well for years. They're wonderfully portable, pretty self contained, and I don't have to screw with buying/cutting 2x4's. They also have a holder for 1"x2"s if you want to shoot paper.

AT-202_N.jpg

I prefer to hang my targets (paper or gongs) from a 2x4 that attaches to a saw horse on each end. A saw horse that collapses and when opened "bites" into the 2x4 works great and are very light and portable.

Just 3 days after my pit cleanup, this is what I found this evening... Why can't people just take their bubblegum home with them???:mad::mad::mad:
I'm pulling the barrels tomorrow and leaving a sign to explain why and see if they head my warning of a closure.:mad:

E6BEA19D-9D84-41EF-97C6-005614BF3864.jpeg

Upcoming Events

Lakeview Spring Gun Show
Lakeview, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR
Falcon Gun Show - Classic Gun & Knife Show
Stanwood, WA
Wes Knodel Gun & Knife Show - Albany
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads