JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Yes the machined brass adapter modules with preinstalled primers fit in and are seated with the snapping close of action. After firing the extractor will unseat module from breech. It is pretty slick really.
I get it now, it was difficult to see inside the breech plug. it looked like a giant hole but on closer inspection I can sort of see that it is a much smaller hole in the middle of the breech plug.

So essentially you're trying to eliminate the brass cartridge casing by replacing it with a brass breech plug?

Full marks for creativity and hopefully I'm not stomping on your parade, but what problem is being solved here?

If I wanted a muzzleloader, I'd likely just go buy a muzzleloader. Monetary issues can't be a serious concern here, is it?

So essentially you're trying to eliminate the brass cartridge casing by replacing it with a brass breech plug?

Full marks for creativity and hopefully I'm not stomping on your parade, but what problem is being solved here?

If I wanted a muzzleloader, I'd likely just go buy a muzzleloader. Monetary issues can't be a serious concern here, is it?
Breech plug is threaded stainless steel, primer adaptor is brass. Very versatile firearm in this configuration. Can stoke up 250- 300 grain bullets to 2600fps and hunt modern with it or stuff it with bh209 and hunt muzzle loader seasons. I also hunt in firearm restriction areas where I can make this legal and possibly even suppressed. I get it, not everybody's cup of tea but it only has to entertain me. :cool:

Last Edited:
I managed to get some more testing in today on the smokeless smokepole.I got some of the 275gr Parker Be bullets recommended by Hankins and was pleasantly surprised as 3 went into less than an inch at 100yds while clocking around 2400'fps.
F7F55601-74DC-43D7-A371-4A22C3F5FB50.png
I also found 17.5 gr of imr 4759 behind a 420gr maker rex bullet will stay subsonic and not keyhole out of this rifle. It should make for a quiet and deadly round for suppressed hunting.

Some won't see the value of your project but I totally get it.

Modern rifle performance during muzzle loader season. Added bonus of integrally suppressed with no NFA hold ups.

I dont think this is in the spirit of the muzzleloader seasons, but given the competition for those tags now, it's basically the same as rifle season anyway.

Some won't see the value of your project but I totally get it.
I Don't - but then I have been a ML hunter since WAY before all the Inlines and other strange rifles were introduced to circumnavigate muzzleloading in general.

I wish all states, would return to traditional muzzleloading regulations and dump ALL of these stupid, breechloading, marginally qualifying rifles as 'muzzleloading' and simply go back to what it was. Is that so difficult?

I Don't - but then I have been a ML hunter since WAY before all the Inlines and other strange rifles were introduced to circumnavigate muzzleloading in general.

I wish all states, would return to traditional muzzleloading regulations and dump ALL of these stupid, breechloading, marginally qualifying rifles as 'muzzleloading' and simply go back to what it was. Is that so difficult?

I hear you on the hunting side. It's not in the spirit of the season(s).

Take the hunting aspect away, or use in "any legal method" hunts.

The core rifle is a great idea. Suppressed center fire performance and no tax stamp or year long wait.

Yeah I wish we could go back to a simpler time when there were no cell phones too, but pandora's box is wide open now. Hate the game not the player lol. This was mostly a project for cheap range time and modern season hunting in firearm restriction areas. Although as I pointed out earlier it is very versatile and stoked up with bh209 powder it can be my backup muzzleloader.

Breech loading firearms do not qualify for muzzleloader seasons around here. This converted cva loads from the muzzle just like many break action muzzleloaders. It is merely primed from the breech.

Have you used this rifle much or has the novelty worn off? I think it's a great idea. I have a CVA Hunter chambered in 243 Winchester. I paid a little over $100 for it as Dick's was clearing them out. Cool little rifles.

Yes I have shot it a bunch with several smokeless powders and bp sub powders using several different ..45 cal bullets sized to fit bore. I even shot a 2x3 whitetail with it last fall during the WA ML season. For the hunt, I came up with a BH209 load using 300 parker BE bullets going about 1900 fps that was very accurate. I also custom fitted a picatinny rail and a rear peep sight to suit all occasions. I love this gun and have no intentions of ever getting rid of it!

Just an update on this rifle. I have been very satisfied with the performance using bh 209 propellent in this gun as accuracy has been great with 300 gr parker be bullets. I have harvested 2 deer with this combo, but the bullets are a bit fragile for my liking. I drew a muzzleloader bull tag this year, so a search for a slightly stouter bullet was in order. I settled on a 300gr arrowhead xld bullet, which has a thicker jacket than the parker bullets, but is still soft enough to obturate to the bore. They also shoot lights out. While developing the load with the muzzleloader scoped, I shot several <moa groups. With a stout charge of bh209 I am getting 2250fps with this bullet.
IMG_4621.jpeg
I have been playing with the iron sights and finally found a williams fiber optic front sight in the correct height to zero the sights with the bullets trajectory. Yesterday I took a shot at 50yds and was a bit low but perfect right/left. I adjusted rear peep up and shot a .8" 3 shot group at 50yds. I then took her out to 100yds and shot a 1-1/4" 3 shot group. That is as good as I could hope for irons and my aging eyes. Before I left the range, I took a poke at the 8" steel plate at 230yds. I held at top edge of plate and was happy to hear that satisfying metal impact, even though I could not see it through the smoke.
Hopefully this combo will help me harvest a big ol' Rosie this fall.

IMG_4501.jpeg

Last Edited:

Upcoming Events

Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top