JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Status
This ad is no longer active. View more ads here.
Re: Smith & Wesson, Model 624, 44 Special

Great guns, but in the interest of safety, am not sure if the owner is aware or has checked with Smith & Wesson but there was / is a factory recall on certain serial number range of these. If there is a S/N match, contacting Smith will tell you whether this gun was one of the 500. Anyone with a 624/44 sp. should find out.

Official S&W release, The serial number range includes:
ADXXXX
AEXXXX
AFXXXX
AGXXXX
AHXXXX
ALVXXX
N910000 thru N953000

"Recalled guns were shipped between Jan 1, 1985 and June 8, 1985 only. The cylinder has to be checked on these handguns and the only way to know is by checking the full serial number against their records. The problem involves 500 guns shipped during that period.

"If a handgun in the recalled range has already been returned to the factory for testing, a red letter "C" that is circled will be stamped on the box label, indicating that the gun passed re-inspection. No marks are made on the cylinder of checked guns, only the red "C" in the circle stamped on the box label.

"If your gun is within this range and you do not have a box or know for certain that it has been tested, you should contact Smith & Wesson. S&W's records prior to 1986 are not computerized, so it takes them a l little longer to look up the particulars.

"You can E-mail your gun's serial number to:
[email protected]

"S&W will contact you regarding the status of your particular gun. If your gun is included in the recall, you'll be sent a prepaid FedEx label and shipping instructions. You may also call S&W Customer Support at 1-800-331-0852.

"Recalled cylinders are tested by magnafluxing*. If your recalled gun does fail, there are no replacement cylinders. S&W will keep your gun and you will be offered the choice of another handgun of equal value or a refund."

I'll find out. I bought a 624-44 special (not on this forum) without any recall disclosure by the seller. That's why I know about this.

Have an RMA to return to Smith for testing. Any of the recalled positive test guns cannot be repaired, only credited - but the cust. svc. guy can't say at what value, only their gunsmith can after inspection/testing. Said it takes up to a month.

This seller should really find out if his is clear, or one impacted, otherwise, it's sort of a crap shoot. Wish I'd known.

Reply posted by me back on the 9th.
Kinda surprised the OP hasn't come back with a yes or no.
Definitely makes a difference to anyone wishing to buy it.
Price seems fair if it's a no / not impacted. But if yes, all you get is credit towards a new S&W of unknown amt. until returned to the factory and assessed, to be determined. They only make 44 mags now.

Serial # AHC37XX is the number on my gun. I did however find out that S&W did indeed mark the repaired and or checked gun's.If the gun has been inspected by them it will have a large "F" stamped on the face of the cylinder towards the recoil shield, Mine has the "F" on the rear face of the cylinder, so I guess I'm golden. But no factory box.
Still trying to contact S&W factory.:s0139:

Last Edited:
Thanks for that info. I was told they put a red dot on the return box, but no markings on an inspected gun. I would add that's a very fair price for a good gun. Didn't mean to crap on your thread, but as commented - wish I'd known this info before buying mine, which btw is also an AHC prefix, covered in the S/N range and going in for inspection.

Last Edited:
Status
This ad is no longer active. View more ads here.

Upcoming Events

Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR
Arms Collectors of Southwest Washington (ACSWW) gun show
Battle Ground, WA

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top