JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
image.jpg

That's so freakin funny!!! I laughed so hard!
I looked at this post because I thought you're being serious and I was going to say a 22 pistol only because back in the day I ran hounds and seen two killed with them. You just had to shoot them in the ear and they will drop dead as a door nail.
Your post was much better I still have smile on my face.

Stacy

Was at Yellowstone a few times as a kid. I remember a guide talking to us about bears and how to avoid them and such.

Then he asked if anyone knew how to keep from being attacked if we were to run into a mom and cubs...

Run faster then the slowest person was his answer.

My stepdad was telling me how when he was a kid him and his brother would kill deer with a .22lr.
This was in the 50s and that's the only way they had a good meal I guess was by getting real close and just ahooting them through the temple or eyeball.

It's not how fast you can run. It's that you can run faster than the person you are with.

I also thought this was an honest question, and was going to mention my good friend Gwynn who was a Black Powder Enthusiast, and one of the old Rifle your own Barrel GunSmiths...

So I was going to opt for Gwynn's Four Bore... It would make a Kodiak sit down & mind his Manner's ... Maybe even get them trained to say, "Yes Sir & No Sir" polite like... It would for sure take the snarl out of their Growl...

Problem with his Four Bore, was it took two Men and a Boy, to carry it...

The boy was used to lay the barrel on his shoulder, when you fired the criter...

And he could also crawl down the Barrel to clean it out...

That there was a GUN.

philip

(Gwynn was a true mountain Man, he didn't need no one to carry his Four Bore... But it seemed heavy enough for me, to ask for the extra helpers!!!! Gwynn made a special Log Splitter... It was an 1.5 inch Smooth Barrel, with log tong spurs that "locked into" big rounds of wood... The Projectile was a solid bar of steel, that slid in the bore, leaving charge room, for Black Powder... The end of the bar had a regular Splitting Wedge welded on... So, load the BP, tamp it then the bar... Wedge into the wood, lock the log Tongs to the round, set the fuze... Back off plug your ears, return to a Thirty Inch Diameter, split right in half, which Gwynn could then ( !!!! ) pick up and throw in the truck...

Intelligence is not always learnt in Skool. :confused: :oops: o_O

I also thought this was an honest question, and was going to mention my good friend Gwynn who was a Black Powder Enthusiast, and one of the old Rifle your own Barrel GunSmiths...

So I was going to opt for Gwynn's Four Bore... It would make a Kodiak sit down & mind his Manner's ... Maybe even get them trained to say, "Yes Sir & No Sir" polite like... It would for sure take the snarl out of their Growl...

Problem with his Four Bore, was it took two Men and a Boy, to carry it...

The boy was used to lay the barrel on his shoulder, when you fired the criter...

And he could also crawl down the Barrel to clean it out...

That there was a GUN.

philip

(Gwynn was a true mountain Man, he didn't need no one to carry his Four Bore... But it seemed heavy enough for me, to ask for the extra helpers!!!! Gwynn made a special Log Splitter... It was an 1.5 inch Smooth Barrel, with log tong spurs that "locked into" big rounds of wood... The Projectile was a solid bar of steel, that slid in the bore, leaving charge room, for Black Powder... The end of the bar had a regular Splitting Wedge welded on... So, load the BP, tamp it then the bar... Wedge into the wood, lock the log Tongs to the round, set the fuze... Back off plug your ears, return to a Thirty Inch Diameter, split right in half, which Gwynn could then ( !!!! ) pick up and throw in the truck...

Intelligence is not always learnt in Skool. :confused: :oops: o_O

I remember the old 4ga Commercial Goose guns. They fir into a ball socket in the bottom of the boat. Not one to hold to the shoulder LOL They used rocks, nits and bolts screws, marble's etc; and such for shot.

I remember the old 4ga Commercial Goose guns. They fir into a ball socket in the bottom of the boat. Not one to hold to the shoulder LOL They used rocks, nits and bolts screws, marble's etc; and such for shot.

You are Correct Taku, but this here iron, was ~Meant~ To be, BUILT as a Shoulder Fired Cannon!!! Err, cannon might be a wee bit MisNomer, but it sure LOOKED like a shoulder Fired Cannon!

And no, Not MY Shoulder, Gwynn's Shoulder!

He also built the most interesting Pistol Design, I have ever seen:
Caliber: 58
Barrel 14"
Inside the "end" of the barrel was a bolt action that held the percussion cap, enclosed except for the Right Hand side, to insert the cap, etc.

It was carried bolt locked in place, an old fashioned "pull" knob to set the firing pin... The grip, much like the Revolutionary War Pistols, Walnut...

It was a swell piece to shoot...

Charge GP, drive wad, drive the 58 Cal Mini... (Lee Mould??? Maybe...)

Then put the cap in place... At this point, he could carry it in fairly bad weather, that cap was fully protected.

Spot Target, set the Firing Pin to POP. readjust sights, if needed...

Squeeze off a KaBoom.

When the Smoke cleared away... You could run down range and readjust your target, to hit a Bulls Eye.... If you were Real Fast :rolleyes:

Well sort of that slow, but yes interesting to Shoot a Mason Made GP firing device....

He had Only Recently STOPPED MAKING his own Black Powder, I guess there was a ... Err... Uhh an, Oops!!!! His wife (smart Women, she Was... ) said No More CHEMICALS for you, Iron, Steel and Wood... That is All you make things with!!!!!

Mountain Men hardly ever argue with a true Grit Mountain Women!!!!

:D

philip

You are Correct Taku, but this here iron, was ~Meant~ To be, BUILT as a Shoulder Fired Cannon!!! Err, cannon might be a wee bit MisNomer, but it sure LOOKED like a shoulder Fired Cannon!

And no, Not MY Shoulder, Gwynn's Shoulder!

He also built the most interesting Pistol Design, I have ever seen:
Caliber: 58
Barrel 14"
Inside the "end" of the barrel was a bolt action that held the percussion cap, enclosed except for the Right Hand side, to insert the cap, etc.

It was carried bolt locked in place, an old fashioned "pull" knob to set the firing pin... The grip, much like the Revolutionary War Pistols, Walnut...

It was a swell piece to shoot...

Charge GP, drive wad, drive the 58 Cal Mini... (Lee Mould??? Maybe...)

Then put the cap in place... At this point, he could carry it in fairly bad weather, that cap was fully protected.

Spot Target, set the Firing Pin to POP. readjust sights, if needed...

Squeeze off a KaBoom.

When the Smoke cleared away... You could run down range and readjust your target, to hit a Bulls Eye.... If you were Real Fast :rolleyes:

Well sort of that slow, but yes interesting to Shoot a Mason Made GP firing device....

He had Only Recently STOPPED MAKING his own Black Powder, I guess there was a ... Err... Uhh an, Oops!!!! His wife (smart Women, she Was... ) said No More CHEMICALS for you, Iron, Steel and Wood... That is All you make things with!!!!!

Mountain Men hardly ever argue with a true Grit Mountain Women!!!!

:D

philip

ROFLOL,
Yep I used to make my own Black Powder too. OOPS's are easy to come by LOL.
I did a small batch and ground all components together, and learned to never do that again.
Always grind ALL components in the Mortor and Pestal separately and mix so OOPS's get minimized :)
I think my Family would have made me live out in the barn with too many of those too.
Dry east wind days are not your friend either........Neither are any kind of synthetic cloths :D
Charcoal and Sulfur were free for the picking then all along the rail tracks. They delivered sulfur to the mills and dumped a lot of it on the tracks and coal was pretty common then as well. We heated with coal too. On the farm I just put the logs we burned out early and scraped and crumbled them for charcoal.
All I had to buy was the saltpeter.
Any drug store or Biology or chemistry supply house had that available.
Carolina Biological was a good place when they were open in Gladstone and even thrifty drugs had it on the shelf.

Last Edited:

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads