JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Haven't noticed a problem getting small rifle and small pistol primers. At least not for a couple years now.

For awhile, yeah. Super sketchy and everything was on backorder.

Then the boxes started arriving. That got expensive REAL quick! :D

For my pistol reloading needs.....I choose primers based on how well they are able to smoothly feed through my progressive machine. Yes, there are some primers that are harder to get seated properly. I've found that CCI primers (for me) are a problem.

Currently, I have a batch of Rem 6 1/2 that I'm using for 9mm and Wolf SP primers for my .38 special cowboy loads. BTW, the WOLF SP primers have given me problems when reloading 9mm. I think it mostly has to do with primer pocket size on the range pick up/mixed brands of 9mm brass.

That all being said......Federals and Winchesters are my favorites. But, I have it in my mind to use up my less desirable primers first. Before, I'll use them.

Aloha, Mark

Lol, I use small rifle primers for all my small primer cases to make my life easier. but that's just me
Yes, this would make things much simpler.Just because it's simple, doesn't mean it's easy!
There are a couple of things to consider when using wanting to use Small Rifle primers (SRP) in place of Small Pistol (SPP).
The cups on the SRP are thicker and harder, due to the usual pressure differences between pistol and rifle cartridges. Some pistols may have a misfire condition because the primer strike is marginal for consistent ignition (Conversly, SPP in an auto rifle is often the cause of a slam fire). Also, SRPs are kind of like a "super sized" Magnum Pistol primer, and in some cases are what is recommended for specific applications. The 357 Maximum is one instance. That case has a very long and skinny combustion chamber and needs a lot of fire to reliably ignite. In other, more normal pistol cases, an overly energetic primer can cause havoc with chamber pressures. Simply switching from a standard SPP to an SRP could cause pressures to spike enough to cause concern.

Most competitive revolver shooters (yes, there are a few) set up their guns with light springs that will only reliably set off Federals. I set up mine to at least fire Winchesters but this week my local Bimart is out of them. CCI's work in my revolver if I hand seat them to below flush.

Primer hoarding seems to be the latest game the manufacturers are taking advantage of. Federal has responded to pleas to increase production with the statement that their first priority is making complete ammo. I'm tired of this game and am saving my Federal for match ammo and tuning my guns to fire CCI in practice. A few pounds of trigger pull is worth giving up in order to keep shooting.

Most competitive revolver shooters (yes, there are a few) set up their guns with light springs that will only reliably set off Federals. I set up mine to at least fire Winchesters but this week my local Bimart is out of them. CCI's work in my revolver if I hand seat them to below flush.

Primer hoarding seems to be the latest game the manufacturers are taking advantage of. Federal has responded to pleas to increase production with the statement that their first priority is making complete ammo. I'm tired of this game and am saving my Federal for match ammo and tuning my guns to fire CCI in practice. A few pounds of trigger pull is worth giving up in order to keep shooting.
Shouldn't ALL primers be seated below flush till they bottom out in the primer pocket?

Shouldn't ALL primers be seated below flush till they bottom out in the primer pocket?
I had to stop priming with my Dillon because it only seats primers to flush since the ram is slightly larger than the pockets. I had a few light strikes (really, the firing pin was pushing in the primer to the bottom before just denting it) on the clock and decided to start hand-priming. Now, I deprime on a Lee, clean the brass, then hand-prime using an RCBS. Never a light strike since!!

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top