JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
Just finished a new AR in 5.56 and am going to reload for it just because I have a press. My question is what is the general consensus on the dies set top pick up. I load 300 BLK now and do not have this issue.

Thanks!;)

Full length is the general use die. Small base squeezes the base just a little bit more to aid in cycling semi autos. Both are actually full length. If your shooting bench rest bolt gun, a neck sizer may be used as the spent brass will be fit to the chamber from the last time fired and all is needed is to resize the neck for the bullets sake. This is ultimately the best for case longevity and give a slight advantage in accuracy. Though the neck sized rounds have one downside, they can only be fired in the rifle they were originally fired in. I would use this for bench rest only style firearms. Everything else I would FL size so as to aid cycling.

The advice I usually read is to start out with a standard FL die and if you have feeding problems to try the small base die. I'm just getting starting reloading 5.56 and 7.62 NATO so I've yet to discover if I need a small base die for one or both.

Only use small base die! Lee die for 223 is already a small based die. If you ever shoot somebody else's gun and use your ammo and they have a tight chamber it will stick in there really good, I had this happen to me, not pleasant. Just better to make ammo you can shoot in everything.

The advice I usually read is to start out with a standard FL die and if you have feeding problems to try the small base die. I'm just getting starting reloading 5.56 and 7.62 NATO so I've yet to discover if I need a small base die for one or both.

:s0101:

I gave this some thought too, and decided to deal with this problem IF it comes up. I reload mainly for my three (BCM) AR's. So far (after about a bazillion rounds reloaded) there has been no issue with cycling. Sounding snobbish it is not my intention, but no issue even when shooting them through a couple of my buddy's lower tiered AR's. :s0006:

I use a small base die for the INITIAL re-loading of 7.62 x 51 brass because the vast majority of MILSURP brass that I have were fired in a machine-gun with larger chambers. Subsequent loadings work fine with a standard FL sizing die.

Well bought a SB die set and ran with it. You never know what is going to happen and not looking at 10 plus reloads on my brass;) In the end I will have probably 5K in brass and well it will take a while to get through it.

Thanks for the replies!

Get yourself a stuck case removal tool as well from Rcbs. Not that I'm saying you'll need it, but the milsurp stuff and the SB die can be fun sometimes. I've been using hornady's spray on lube for a couple of years now. I toss a bunch of brass in a large zip lock and spray a way then mix them together. It works well. Don't skimp on the lube if sizing military once fired stuff though. I've had a few stuck cases before SB sizing that stuff.

This is my project for the weekend! Resizing this batch.
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1414258615.527017.jpg

Another option I've tried when sizing MILSURP is to use my progressive press with the FL die in Station 1 and the SB die in station 2, to minimize the possibility of a stuck case (I've yet to have one, but I've come close when sizing some batches using the SB die without the FL die first).

I have the RCBS FL223 die set and the AR556 die set. The reason is that I like the full length sizer die, but not the roll crimp seating die that comes with it. I use the taper crimp seating die that comes with the AR556 die set.

I too used the taper crimp. However, in case of use with ar15s I prefer the lee factory crimp die. Worth the money to get when using with semi autos.

I use the standard RCBS full length dies. I shoot NRA High Power matches
with ARs over many years. Never had any feeding problems. Over
the years I have worn out several different barrels from various
manufactures. Barrels I use have match grade chambers.
I layout the cases in a metal tray and use Dillons spray lube. Don't use
too much or you will see dimples on or just below the case shoulder.
I also do not crimp any rifle cases. This goes for 223, 308 and 30/06
fired in semi auto rifles.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews