JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
My "Amazon special" bipod and picatinny rail
section came in this afternoon- we'll see if it holds up to .308 recoil.

Geno

5-5-17_ Atlas knock off bipod.jpg
5-5-17_ Atlas knock off bipod installed.jpg

I got the chance to zero my M5 yesterday- I'm happy to report all went well for the most part- I put about 85-90 rounds through it with no jams, FTEs or FTFs. The stock trigger group does leave something to be desired though - I found myself pulling shots to the right of the target, due to the high pull required. A lighter trigger is on the list of upgrades.

Geno
FB_IMG_1495378433531.jpg

Nice range report! I'm still waiting on my BCG and LaRue MBT trigger to finish my build.
What size groups where you able to shoot and what ammo did you use?

Nice range report! I'm still waiting on my BCG and LaRue MBT trigger to finish my build.
What size groups where you able to shoot and what ammo did you use?

Interesting enough I was using Federal M80- the 7.62 x 51 Fed and cycled well with the Faxon stainless barrel and AP black nitride BCG. I was able to produce some 1"-2" shot groups, but had a few fliers due to the stock trigger and not being the greatest marksman. My trigger issues didn't keep me from getting bullseyes- but I had to compensate my aim point to make it happen. My shots were also not that precise due to the lack of more precise shot control- but while zeroing my M5, I was making tight shot groups, so I believe the potential for tight groups on target is there. This rifle is definitely capable of more accuracy with more tuning.

I'm looking a 3 lb. Single stage Velocity trigger to replace the stock trigger group. Once that's installed I will report my results here. I will also try better ammo and longer ranges as well.

Geno

Last Edited:
I got bored waiting on parts, so I mounted my Vortex Viper HS on my M5E1. I have an AP cantilever mount on order- no more cheap rings that won't hold zero.

Geno
View attachment 361078

You will like the AP Cantilever, I put one on my Em4gery. And I am SOOOO jealous of your build. I wanted to do one in WA but money was tight and we moved to Redding area...so I punted.

It was bad enough having to register what I brought with me.:mad:

Brutus Out

So, I finally started my build. Trying to decide on a barrel material here. I'm looking at BA since they're on sale at Monmouth right now 30% off. For what reasons did you choose the stainless over a chrome lined? I've got everything picked out but cant decide on this one.

So, I finally started my build. Trying to decide on a barrel material here. I'm looking at BA since they're on sale at Monmouth right now 30% off. For what reasons did you choose the stainless over a chrome lined? I've got everything picked out but cant decide on this one.

I went with the Faxon fluted stainless barrel because it was far lighter than the BA barrel, and I wanted a black nitrided finish instead of the bead blasted finish that comes with the BA barrel. My M5 is capable of 1" groups now, but I have flyers due to the heavy pull of the milspec trigger- shopping for a lighter trigger now.

Geno

My M5 is capable of 1" groups now, but I have flyers due to the heavy pull of the milspec trigger- shopping for a lighter trigger now.

Geno
Geno,
Have you looked into the LaRue MBT? If you don't mind waiting a bit you can get them at $125. Mine should be here this week and could give you a review on them.

Geno,
Have you looked into the LaRue MBT? If you don't mind waiting a bit you can get them at $125. Mine should be here this week and could give you a review on them.

I'm thinking of going with a Rise Armament RA-140 SST trigger- I want a single stage trigger with a 3.5 lb. pull, hence my choice. The Rise Armament RA-140 has good reviews as well. That LaRue MBT looks like a nice 2-stage unit.

Geno

I went with the Faxon fluted stainless barrel because it was far lighter than the BA barrel, and I wanted a black nitrided finish instead of the bead blasted finish that comes with the BA barrel. My M5 is capable of 1" groups now, but I have flyers due to the heavy pull of the milspec trigger- shopping for a lighter trigger now.

Geno
I was more curious as to why you went with stainless over 4150

I went 416 stainless over the CMV 4150 just to see if it was really more accurate- I'll have to install the RA-140 trigger and try for longer distances to see if it was worth the extra money.

Geno

Hey Geno
How's that "Atlas" bipod holding up? I like the design over the Harris, but I'm not sure about running a knockoff on a 308. How's the rifle been treating ya now that you've had it a while?

Hey Geno
How's that "Atlas" bipod holding up? I like the design over the Harris, but I'm not sure about running a knockoff on a 308. How's the rifle been treating ya now that you've had it a while?
I've put a few hundred rounds through it- in calm winds the M5 is accurate, no problem ringing 8" plates at 500 yards. But once the winds pick up, the shots get blown off course and miss the target. I was using both PMC and Pertfecta 147 gr. .308 Winchester ammo- I'm getting some 168 gr. .308 ammo and going to see if that shoots better in windy conditions.

At shorter distances and shooting at paper targets, my M5 is a tack driver- at 100 yards the rifle can produce groups tighter than I'm capable of shooting. I can shoot at the bullseyes until they are shredded.

The knock-off Atlas bipod is okay- it does the job, but I bet the real deal works a little better. I'm not an active military combat soldier, only a recreational shooter who shoots maybe once a month- so it's fine for what I'm doing.

Geno

I've put a few hundred rounds through it- in calm winds the M5 is accurate, no problem ringing 8" plates at 500 yards. But once the winds pick up, the shots get blown off course and miss the target. I was using both PMC and Pertfecta 147 gr. .308 Winchester ammo- I'm getting some 168 gr. .308 ammo and going to see if that shoots better in windy conditions.

At shorter distances and shooting at paper targets, my M5 is a tack driver- at 100 yards the rifle can produce groups tighter than I'm capable of shooting. I can shoot at the bullseyes until they are shredded.

The knock-off Atlas bipod is okay- it does the job, but I bet the real deal works a little better. I'm not an active military combat soldier, only a recreational shooter who shoots maybe once a month- so it's fine for what I'm doing.

Geno
Good to hear. I waswgoingwback

Geno
Good to hear. I was going back and forth between that and the Harris so I thought I'd ask.

Glad to hear the AR is working out well. I kind of used your build as a baseline when I was doing mine so it's very similar. I was getting 1" groups at 100 last weekend which I was happy with considering I'm no pro.. I haven't had a chance to get it out much further yet but I will soon. Im having an issue with it bending the rim off one kind of ammo so I have some more testing to do with it anyway.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top