JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
most likely their not collectables, unless their one of the kind that can take ak mags. But even then i wouldn't hesitate to shoot it. They weren't made to collect per say, they were made to shoot and shoot and keep shooting. I was just in a big 5 earlier this week here in Seattle to pick up some ammo and they had a yugo there that they had the balls to put a $500 price tag on!!!

Some are worth more than others, (not saying that one is) some ARE actually collectors. What makes a collector a collector? I have one that I've done some research on, and wouldn't sell for the world. Doesn't mean its worth more to anyone else......just that its special, to me at least.

I wouldn't buy a big 5 sks special... Usualy around 100-150 over what u could find privately.

Agree'd ...in fact, I myself wouldn't buy a big 5 anything. The guy's who work there (for the most part) don't know ANYTHING about guns. It just irritates the crap out of me to deal with people who have no business in the business. Matter of fact, I'll turn this into a rant. Big 5 people suck. They don't ever seem to know crap about anything. Nothing but college drop-outs, and pre-med morons with no experience with any kind of sporting activities. I guess that's what happens when you pay minimum wage to regular employee's, and bullbubblegum wages to management. I don't expect them to have intimate knowledge of everything in the store, but they should be able to do more than blink at you when you ask a question. Customer service is important. If you don't know the answer to something, at least TRY to find out from somebody else fer chrissakes!

To the OP, if you are interested in an SKS, read up on them first, look at pricing, ask a friend to let you shoot their's...basically get familiar with what you are looking at before you buy one. It is a great platform.

Keith

Agree'd ...in fact, I myself wouldn't buy a big 5 anything. The guy's who work there (for the most part) don't know ANYTHING about guns. It just irritates the crap out of me to deal with people who have no business in the business. Matter of fact, I'll turn this into a rant. Big 5 people suck. They don't ever seem to know crap about anything. Nothing but college drop-outs, and pre-med morons with no experience with any kind of sporting activities. I guess that's what happens when you pay minimum wage to regular employee's, and bullbubblegum wages to management. I don't expect them to have intimate knowledge of everything in the store, but they should be able to do more than blink at you when you ask a question. Customer service is important. If you don't know the answer to something, at least TRY to find out from somebody else fer chrissakes!

+1 lol

I don't expect much at sportinggoods stores... But when it comes to my guns... I want the best enthusiast on the other side of the counter :)

Iwouldnt pay over 350 unless it was spotless and I mean spotless... I got my norinco 26 in good cond with 400rnds for 250 :) right off here! Have a buddy who pick 1 up from a guy who "customizes" it and wouldn't cycle for $80. Turns out after putting back on all the original parts only thing it needed was a new safety lever. All in all a great fun and runs like a champ. Def a god shtf rifle and fun to hunt/plink/build on! :)

Big 5 seems to have some AWFUL prices lately. I was in there just a few days ago. They had Mosin 91/30's, one for $180 and one for $190, and they didn't look to be particularly excellent specimens. I know that M44's and particularly M38's don't seem to be as widely available as they once were (and prices reflect that, don't see Big 5, or anyone else, really selling them for $80 a piece anymore)... but 91/30's can still quite easily be had for $100 or less. They had a Yugo Mauser for an incredible $300, when they can be bought for under $200. They had one of those single stack IO AK's for something like $600, when they often sell for $150 less. It seems like when they put things on sale... is when they price things for the average market value. Their ammo prices are awful too... $12/box for steel-cased 7.62x39! No thanks. Plus there's a little sign in the store that says all firearms purchases require a waiting period of a few days... what kind of crap is that?

I would definitely recommend buying an SKS. They're great rifles and can be had for a fraction of the price of equivalent guns; I just don't recommend buying one from Big 5.

If you are collecting Big 5 is the last place to shop. Know what you are collecting and if your looking for a shooter then to the same to educate yourself. Rarely will big 5 or any other chain store honestly have collectable arms. Then most that collect already know this.

I pretty much agree with the post above. Big 5 isn't the place to go when looking for good deals on truly collectable rifles. You must know what you are looking at before you walk through the door. For instance, the Big Five in Moses Lake currently has a badly humped 91/30 PU reproduction with a 1928 ex-dragoon receiver (whimper) . OTOH, when their regular 91/30s go on sale for $100, you might find goodies like a hex receiver, laminated stock or ex-sniper. So, I guess I'm saying they aren't all bad all of the time. But I must agree, their recent crop of Yugo SKSs are to be avoided, for the price if nothing else.

Keith

I hate buying ANYTHING at Big5. As has been mentioned when their stuff is on a big sale it's only average priced compared to any other store. I can't believe, specially in this economy, that consumers don't check prices better and realize their regular prices are a rip off and their sale prices are not so special.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top