JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
The Sheriff asked you if they were shooting Prairie Dogs? Interesting as there are NO Prairie Dogs in the State of Oregon unless they have some in a zoo. You would think a Local Sheriff would know that.

The Sheriff asked you if they were shooting Prairie Dogs? Interesting as there are NO Prairie Dogs in the State of Oregon unless they have some in a zoo. You would think a Local Sheriff would know that.
Everyone knows it's code for "creatures that look like prairie dogs".
Not everyone on the planet gives a crap about nor knows of such minutiae.
They sure know what a prairie dog is though. makes life easier

"I turned around in the first driveway and came back."

Yeah, to give 'em a piece of your mind, eh? That'll show 'em.

Sorry, that just seems unwise to me, too.

Not that I haven't got hot under the collar myself at times, but looking back a little less emotionally, you should figure out that wasn't really a good idea.

In the situation you described,I worry about my own bubblegum first.
Completely different from a rape as you didn't mention anyone else present.
If you didn't have a cell phone,you could have flagged down the next car and had them call 911
You can be a hero without being confrontational and getting shot
BTW didn't you drive off and leave them there anyway? Only more pi$$ed off?
I'll say it again,you're lucky to still be sucking air

While I agree with you that if I had not stopped there would not have been an altercation. That being said however, the shooter would have gone on shooting toward oncoming traffic. Because I stopped I was able to provide the sheriff
detective a license number. Some of the questions he asked me were, "How tall was the guy? What kind of build did he have, How old was he? What model of vehicle was it and what color. If I had continued on at 60 mph I would not have been able to provide any answers. One other thing, there are 75 year olds and there are 75 year olds. I have a cc permit and carry a 9mm on my person and a GP 100 357 Mag in the car. I target practice two or three times a week and shoot about 500 rounds a month. Yesterday I shot a 1 1/2" eight round group without glasses with an out of the box new gun from 25 feet. I threw two shots three inches. I still train and shoe horses. I kayak and bicycle and am presently taking a self defense class. When I worked I went from the California Department of Corrections to work for three private investigations agencies in Los Angeles. When my boss was elected sheriff in Idaho he asked me to join his department as a detective.

Klamath County Sheriff Frank Skrah called me personally Tuesday and thanked me for doing my civic duty.

But, after thinking about it, I should have stopped and asked for Directions to Malin.

No, I don't have a cell phone. If i did my wife would be calling me all the time.

Cool,can you block shots from a rifle with your shoeing hammer or gp100?
I would say a cop that didn't stop a ways away and call for back up would be irresponsible also.
But that's only because a rifle round will most likely go thru a vest
Or a squad car
How small a group you can shoot or how many horses you can shoe or how many sheriffs want you for a deputy has nothing to do with what the SOB on the side of the road with the rifle can do to your torso with one little pull of the trigger
But that's just me

Everyone knows it's code for "creatures that look like prairie dogs".
Not everyone on the planet gives a crap about nor knows of such minutiae.
They sure know what a prairie dog is though. makes life easier

SO if you see someone shooting a elk out of season because an antelope looks kind of like an elk you would go with that?

A Prairie Dog is a 1.1 to 3.3 lb critter 12-16" tall
A Beldings Ground Squirrel is .6 lbs critter about 9-12" tall

If they know what a Prairie Dog is then they would sure know a "SAGE RAT" Beldings Ground Squirrel or possibly an even smaller Townsend's Ground Squirrel isn't a Prairie Dog.

But I understand what your saying some people are like reporters and all long guns are AK-47s

SO if you see someone shooting a elk out of season because an antelope looks kind of like an elk you would go with that?

A Prairie Dog is a 1.1 to 3.3 lb critter 12-16" tall
A Beldings Ground Squirrel is .6 lbs critter about 9-12" tall

If they know what a Prairie Dog is then they would sure know a "SAGE RAT" Beldings Ground Squirrel or possibly an even smaller Townsend's Ground Squirrel isn't a Prairie Dog
But I understand what your saying some people are like reporters and all long guns are AK-47s
Did that make you happy? Imagine having to do that every time you're talking about prairie dog like creatures... if you're a cop talking on the phone to who knows how many people a day from who knows where
total red herring

Funny I have lived in Oregon 58 years hunted varmints of all kinds all over the state since I was 10-11 years old and the only place I have ever had to talk about Prairie Dogs is here to explain to the clueless that Oregon has no Prairie Dogs.

Dad taught us boys that you have to know how many points are on the rack before you shoot a deer. I have always followed the advise of KNOWING my target. Be it an unprotected Beldings Ground Squirrel or a Protected Townsends Ground Squirrel or Townsends Chipmunk.

Funny I have lived in Oregon 58 years hunted varmints of all kinds all over the state since I was 10-11 years old and the only place I have ever had to talk about Prairie Dogs is here to explain to the clueless that Oregon has no Prairie Dogs.

Dad taught us boys that you have to know how many points are on the rack before you shoot a deer. I have always followed the advise of KNOWING my target. Be it an unprotected Beldings Ground Squirrel or a Protected Townsends Ground Squirrel or Townsends Chipmunk.
Cool story man. It has little to do with efficiency of language when a cop is talking to someone over the phone that might be from anywhere on the planet though.

When and if I get to be seventy five years old, as is the original poster of this thread, I hope to not be a mealy mouthed apologist as some here champion to be.

Last Edited:
So y'all are making a point out of what the bad guy said,not that a "I am 5'7 and 75 years old" man stopped to tell 2 people with guns,on the side of the road,obviously illegally shooting from said road,and not giving 1 single F@%k,to tell them right from wrong.
Hmm,was this his job? Was he on duty as a LEO?
IF he had act his age and his stature he would have just drove home and called or called on the way home and left the 2 alone.
Again,he is lucky he wasn't shot right there. Unless you are a cop,this was about as stupid of a move you could ever do
There are SO many posts on here ,in other threads, telling folk to be a good citizen and non confrontational when carrying their defense weapon,be the better man and all and y'all are talking about the legality of telling someone you are going to kick their a$$.
Which YOU shouldn't have to worry about since you are a responsible CC person.
JEEZ,there are some folk who will shoot you for looking at them the wrong way.
Someone like this you drive on and call the cops out of range
you are forgetting something VERY serious here.... re-read that Second Article of Ammendment. It clearly places the burden of "the security of a free state" on the shoulders of... not military, law enforcement, government, militia.... but of THE PEOPLE... we who comprise the militia. In other words, "the security of a free state" is OUR BUSINESS. The reason we are in the mess we presently find is that we, the people, have abdicated that rsponsibility to others.... and thus the level of security has fallen to the point where many are harmed on a regular basis in places where such harm was unthinkable fifty, an hundred years ago..

This man who saw a dangerous situation compromising "the security of a free state" (other motorists could easily have been harmed by these two apparently careless numbskulls, shooting from and along the road right of way. He took the responsibilityu assigned us for "the security of a free state", and took appropriate action. Hsts off to this man. I wish a few hundred thousand more citizens would take a similar view toward our collective responsibility to preserve "the security of a free state". We'd ALL be a lot safer. Just think... had that neighbour in San Bernardino spoken up BEFORE the jihadi shootem up that killed nearly three dozen, none might have been killed or harmed..... or if ONE of those at that church in the Carolinas had taken "the security of a free state" upon himself, it is likely at least eight of those people would yet be alive.

you are forgetting something VERY serious here.... re-read that Second Article of Ammendment. It clearly places the burden of "the security of a free state" on the shoulders of... not military, law enforcement, government, militia.... but of THE PEOPLE... we who comprise the militia. In other words, "the security of a free state" is OUR BUSINESS. The reason we are in the mess we presently find is that we, the people, have abdicated that rsponsibility to others.... and thus the level of security has fallen to the point where many are harmed on a regular basis in places where such harm was unthinkable fifty, an hundred years ago..

This man who saw a dangerous situation compromising "the security of a free state" (other motorists could easily have been harmed by these two apparently careless numbskulls, shooting from and along the road right of way. He took the responsibilityu assigned us for "the security of a free state", and took appropriate action. Hsts off to this man. I wish a few hundred thousand more citizens would take a similar view toward our collective responsibility to preserve "the security of a free state". We'd ALL be a lot safer. Just think... had that neighbour in San Bernardino spoken up BEFORE the jihadi shootem up that killed nearly three dozen, none might have been killed or harmed..... or if ONE of those at that church in the Carolinas had taken "the security of a free state" upon himself, it is likely at least eight of those people would yet be alive.
Not missing anything brother.And I understand where you are coming from
BUT
He wouldn't have done anyone any good had the two folk,WITH WEAPONS OUT AT THE READY just been looking for someone to kill. He was at a very bad disadvantage when he decided to stop and return. Had he,well he didn't have any phone or camera.
Like I said,a LEO would have been stupid to confront two folks with rifles at the ready without calling for backup
The only other path I can see he might have taken was to confront them with like force. If he had come back with a gun to take their guns.
Otherwise I say he should have gone right to the store and bought lotto tickets ,being as lucky as he was
Y'all jump in there and tell folks like this whatever you want,but understand there are folks that will shoot you for looking at them wrong. Drugged out and ready to play

By the time someone is 75 years old they should have learned to mind their own business.
I am 69 years old and learned that many years ago. I had to learn the hard way.
You only bring grief on yourself when you get involved in something that doesn't affect you.
Nothing good will ever come of it. Only grief for you. Want to do the right thing. Mind
your own business. Life is short enjoy it while you can.

A lot of people are murdered when they act the good Samaritan to a fellow motorist.
With that said, sometimes you just gotta stop and call a dumb sumb a dumb sumb just on principle.

By the time someone is 75 years old they should have learned to mind their own business.
I am 69 years old and learned that many years ago. I had to learn the hard way.
You only bring grief on yourself when you get involved in something that doesn't affect you.
Nothing good will ever come of it. Only grief for you. Want to do the right thing. Mind
your own business. Life is short enjoy it while you can.

But when they come for you, who will be left to stand against them? Just sayin...

Dunno for me though, and just saying. "if you don't move ill do whatever" shouldn't be a threat not until you actually make a step to do so.
which is what I said in the Harney county thread people all up in arms over their rights being taken away but fail to see how easy it is to lose our first amendment rights all the same.
One better than me said " if you sell your liberty's for a bit, but temporary peace and safety. You shall get, and deserve neither. Just saying something doesn't' mean your actually going to do it, it just means get he heck out of the way. Kind of sounds like the neighbor who comes into your house and notices you have a semiautomatic assault rifle. then asks is that thing legal? Or some other kind of stupid question. Or registered, or why isn't it in a safe, or do you have kids etc...
He's being an instigator and out trying to get people into trouble. People grouse hunt from the road all the time especially if it's a back dirt road no big deal. Amazing how many people who say they are Patriots fell for this.
Another better than me also said something like Guard that Jewel (Liberty) especially from so called patriots. Another quote is:
An Avidity to punish is always dangerous to liberty. It leads men to stretch, to misinterpret,
and to misapply even the best of laws. He that would make his own liberty secure must guard even
his enemy from oppression; for if he violates this duty he establishes a precedent that will reach
to himself. – Thomas Paine
and the one I paraphrased above:
"Guard with jealous attention the public liberty. Suspect everyone who approaches that jewel.
Unfortunately, nothing will preserve it but downright force. Whenever you give up that force, you are inevitably ruined" (Patrick Henry.
Me I'd of just left them alone move on. Don't snitch.

Just look at how much the PTB already mess with our First amendment rights! many have been jailed for not even saying that same kind of thing in person, but online just like this forum. Using text, digital text, to jail someone. Regardless to me is a First amendment abridgement. Even in person my god! how many have said similar? Sorry but as a Patriot and someone who knows what's going on.... I'm not going to just jump on the ban wagon. For liberty is too important. And yes letting someone say something stupid like that and not reporting him/her would be that..... Liberty.
Maybe next time just keep driving instead of a snitch.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top