JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
What is You Right of Free Speech?

Did you know that just the words "I am going to kick your bubblegum" are enough to land you in Jail for a year and be fined $6000." Last week I was returning home from Klamath falls. One of the roads I often take fronts the Lost River. I was driving down the straightaway on the two lane road fronting a ranch on the right side. There was a vehicle parked three feet from the other side of the fence. As I approached there was a woman sitting in front of the vehicle on the ground in a marksman shooting position pointing a rifle right at me. I am sure she wasn't aiming at me but you get the picture. There was a man at the back of the vehicle standing who was also holding a rifle slung over his shoulder. I turned around in the first driveway and came back. I parked on the other side of the road, got out of the car and said, "Did you know that in Oregon its against the law to point a firearm in the direction of another person?" The first words out of the man's mouth were, "If you don't get the f#$* out of here I'm going to kick your bubblegum!" He was maybe 6.2" and looked to be in good shape, maybe 35 years old. I am 5'7 and 75 years old. Far be it for me to argue with two people holding guns. I wrote down his license plate number and when I arrived home I sent off an email to the Klamath County Sheriff Department. Within ten minutes a rural patrol deputy called me on the telephone. The next day I received a call from a sheriff department homicide detective requesting that I come in for an interview. The interview lasted for about an hour. I was given a disclosure form to sign and then shown photo line up pictures one for the man and one for the woman. That was yesterday and today I received a call from the sheriff himself. He wanted to assure me that he was following up on my complaint.

I would not have made the complaint if I thought it would be that big of a deal. It was not like I thought they were sniping oncoming cars just to ignorant to possess a hunting license. The detective asked me if I thought they were shooting prairie dogs and I replied yes. It just goes to show how much trouble a person can get into by saying six words. He better not be in possession of a firearm when he makes a verbal threat and above all, the other person better not be his significant other.

Don't know about Oregon, but in most States (if not all) isn't it also illegal to shoot at, from, or across a roadway and it's easements?
Whatever this situation was, they need to be charged with felony stupid.:mad:

Stupid games....stupid prizes. From what I remember you cant shoot within 50 feet of a publicly maintained road, regardless of the direction you are shooting.

It's usually easement to easement.
Washington says from hiways,so if the road isn't an actual hiway you would have some chance
But Idaho says from any maintained roadway. outside edge of ditch to same
But don't try to explain that to folks around here,lol
Anyway,hope those 2 get the book thrown at them.
And,eliduc,be glad they didn't light your car up for stopping. I know you thought you were doing good,but sometimes it's best to not bother folks with guns.Never know who you may be talking to

Im glad you reported him.
Though smack talking is fine, threats are serious.. Even if its just chest puffing, that kind of mentality needs to be corrected, forcefully.. Because thats all someone that utters those types of threats know.. So unless you correct them by getting them in hot water they'll keep doing this bubblegum until they actually do hurt someone.

Secondly, Dont make a bluff threat like that while armed.. That right there is considered a legitimate crime if looked at in the right light. And she had a rifle aimed at you?! The gaul of these people. Its a slam dunk for a prosecutor.

Anyhow, glad you got one of "those" types in some hot water, idiots like that need to get put in their place.

Comunicating a threat of bodily harm and intimidation is a crime, comunicating a threat and intimidation while openly armed is also a crime with a HEAPING HELPING of "stupid" on top. :rolleyes:

Given the circumstances you laid out, had he taken half a step towards you after that statement it would have made for justifiable homocide.

It is called assault. The threat of violence has always been a crime. Had he kicked your @ss, that is assault and battery. Had he not said it and just did it...that is just battery.

The dirt bag got what he deserved. Who threatens a 75 year old man like that?

From the Oregon good book. Hunting Regs. No person shall shoot from or across a public road, a road right of way or railroad right of way. Years ago it also include with in 50 feet of a road. But they dropped that because the cop could not know where the 50 foot line was at.

Shooting from, on, over, or across a road, any road, on federal land is also the same serious issue. The road can closed to vehicles, the general public, or even be a private road, but it's still not allowed. Same with any creek or body of water.

You did good turning them in. Wonder what might happen if someone else had stopped there ten minutes later and said the same thing you did? Would one of them have 'snapped'?

Don't feel bad about their troubles, they earned them.

If a verbal statement puts the victim in fear of offensive touching that is assault. The actual offensive touching is battery. You learn that the first month of law school. Only if the statement is somehow qualified can you get away with it. For instance, "If there wasn't a sheriff standing over there I would kick your butt" is a statement you can get away with because you are specifically saying you're not going to perform the act.

If a verbal statement puts the victim in fear of offensive touching that is assault. The actual offensive touching is battery. You learn that the first month of law school. Only if the statement is somehow qualified can you get away with it. For instance, "If there wasn't a sheriff standing over there I would kick your butt" is a statement you can get away with because you are specifically saying you're not going to perform the act.

Would adding I think or my opinion negate any of the liability?

Such as: In my opinion you should leave before someone gets an bubblegum kicking...

Or: I think If I were you then Id leave real fast before getting my bubblegum kicked...

He was maybe 6.2" and looked to be in good shape, maybe 35 years old. I am 5'7 and 75 years old. Far be it for me to argue with two people holding guns.
So y'all are making a point out of what the bad guy said,not that a "I am 5'7 and 75 years old" man stopped to tell 2 people with guns,on the side of the road,obviously illegally shooting from said road,and not giving 1 single F@%k,to tell them right from wrong.
Hmm,was this his job? Was he on duty as a LEO?
IF he had act his age and his stature he would have just drove home and called or called on the way home and left the 2 alone.
Again,he is lucky he wasn't shot right there. Unless you are a cop,this was about as stupid of a move you could ever do
There are SO many posts on here ,in other threads, telling folk to be a good citizen and non confrontational when carrying their defense weapon,be the better man and all and y'all are talking about the legality of telling someone you are going to kick their a$$.
Which YOU shouldn't have to worry about since you are a responsible CC person.
JEEZ,there are some folk who will shoot you for looking at them the wrong way.
Someone like this you drive on and call the cops out of range

Comunicating a threat of bodily harm and intimidation is a crime, comunicating a threat and intimidation while openly armed is also a crime with a HEAPING HELPING of "stupid" on top. :rolleyes:

Given the circumstances you laid out, had he taken half a step towards you after that statement it would have made for justifiable homocide.
That may be true but this is where you have to be careful. There are two of them and one of me. Now it's her word
against mine. Who is the D.A. going to believe? Her story is going to be that I stopped, got out of the car and shot her husband.
So y'all are making a point out of what the bad guy said,not that a "I am 5'7 and 75 years old" man stopped to tell 2 people with guns,on the side of the road,obviously illegally shooting from said road,and not giving 1 single F@%k,to tell them right from wrong.
Hmm,was this his job? Was he on duty as a LEO?
IF he had act his age and his stature he would have just drove home and called or called on the way home and left the 2 alone.
Again,he is lucky he wasn't shot right there. Unless you are a cop,this was about as stupid of a move you could ever do
There are SO many posts on here ,in other threads, telling folk to be a good citizen and non confrontational when carrying their defense weapon,be the better man and all and y'all are talking about the legality of telling someone you are going to kick their a$$.
Which YOU shouldn't have to worry about since you are a responsible CC person.
JEEZ,there are some folk who will shoot you for looking at them the wrong way.
Someone like this you drive on and call the cops out of range
You are right in one sense. But do you have any responsibility to the other cars and people that are on the road behind you? It's kind of like watching a woman being sexually assaulted and doing nothing. Do you drive on by and then call the police when you get home and the police are 30 minutes away from the incident or do ya all worry about your own a$$?

Don't know about Oregon, but in most States (if not all) isn't it also illegal to shoot at, from, or across a roadway and it's easements?
Whatever this situation was, they need to be charged with felony stupid.:mad:
It is illegal in Oregon - even near a road.

People still do it though.

There are two reasons it is illegal; safety and to have something to charge poachers with when the LEO doesn't have enough evidence to prove poaching.

Affluenza Oregon style.. too self-entitled to even make/keep a weapon safe.
Good thing you weren't driving an attack prairie dog..

th?&id=OIP.M95e4dc9c85cfe0d9458c33a206e29d89H0&w=315&h=176&c=0&pid=1.9&rs=0&p=0.jpg

do ya all worry about your own a$$?
In the situation you described,I worry about my own bubblegum first.
Completely different from a rape as you didn't mention anyone else present.
If you didn't have a cell phone,you could have flagged down the next car and had them call 911
You can be a hero without being confrontational and getting shot
BTW didn't you drive off and leave them there anyway? Only more pi$$ed off?
I'll say it again,you're lucky to still be sucking air

Upcoming Events

Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top