JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.

What you choose?

• Taurus 44 magl

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • CVA Scout .35 Whelen

Votes: 3 33.3%
  • Marlin 336 30-30 win

Votes: 6 66.7%

• Total voters
Reactions
For Deer season I like to try something more adventure and it is hard for me to choose between single shot rifle or revolver. I will hunt as always in SW Washington.
What do you recommend???

If you're looking for a more challenging hunt, I might suggest limiting your range to 100-125 yards. I do this by choice rather than by firearm imposed limitation. Even a single shot can drop an elk at long distance, but force yourself to stalk closer just for fun. It really is a blast.

to choose between single shot rifle or revolver.
Kinda comparing apples to oranges here aren't you? Either is not a replacement for the other as both require different training and practice to become proficient, with the revolver requiring LOTS more. Handgun hunting would be fun but it would take serious dedication and lots of regular practice (with most in the field under practical conditions) to gain and maintain the proficiency you would need to be successful. Shooting (especially handguns) is a lot like golf. You gotta hit a lot of balls and play regularly to lower your score (or tighten groups).

Kinda comparing apples to oranges here aren't you? Either is not a replacement for the other as both require different training and practice to become proficient, with the revolver requiring LOTS more. Handgun hunting would be fun but it would take serious dedication and lots of regular practice (with most in the field under practical conditions) to gain and maintain the proficiency you would need to be successful. Shooting (especially handguns) is a lot like golf. You gotta hit a lot of balls and play regularly to lower your score (or tighten groups).

Yes you right I don't really know where to stop low power/single-shot rifle or handgun to make my hunt more challenged. I don't like my .257weatherby any more. Ammo cost too much, paintful recoil and I never have shot past 300 yards.

I understand completely. This year (and since I didn't draw anything) I might just get a general western deer tag and head out with my Winchester 94. I normally hunt black powder (when I draw) and hunting with a 30-30 is a challenge also, similar to the muzzle loader (range wise) in that one needs to get closer and a 30-30 should be considered a 150 yard maximum rifle. However I will probably use some spire point bullets I loaded up for it because I am real pleased with the results accuracy wise but loading SP bullets turns a 94 into a single shot, unless I load followup rounds with conventional 30-30 FP/RN loads. That is about the limits of 'challenge' I am willing to go - for now.

You could consider going totally open sight WWII with it. My dream is to take an animal with an 8mm german mauser, a 303 British, and an M1A. Don't know why, but for some reason that just seems like a really cool thing. With practice I would trust any of them out to 200 yards with open sights.

Looking for more challenge I would start to look at muzzle loaders.

For years I hunted clear cuts with a Ruger #1 in 7mm Mag mostly because I'm left handed. I still use my blackhawk in 45LC to hunt the brush where shots are to be less than 100 yds.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top