JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
I am putting together a simplified three-gun type competition for a group of about a dozen or so guys. It will be at a remote gravel pit. Most (including myself) have not shot competitive three-gun so I was going to keep it basic. Perhaps something like: pistol - five targets at 3-15 yards two shots each. Rifle five targets 25 to 100 yards, 3 shots each. shotgun 5 targets, 5 shots. Scoring would be timed and them points based upon hit/no-hit on each target. I am trying to keep ammo expense down, keep it simple and safe for maximum fun. For safety, three tables (one at each "stage" with unloaded guns and only enough ammo for given shots. At time zero competitor would safety check gun, install pre-loaded magazine and complete stage. Drop mag, safety check gun, lay it on table and move to next stage.

I am open to observations and constructive advice from those who may have participated in this type of competition. please no flaming comments.
Thanks

You would be creating more of a loading competition.

3 Gun is one of the more technical of the action shooting sports. Partially due to the variety of ways the shotgun must be used and the trajectory difficulties of mixed distance targets for the rifle. The other component is stage problem solving, which you eliminate with 3 fixed positions.

Don't try to reinvent the wheel. Try a couple of matches and take a class somewhere or hook up with some of the shooters at the match.

3 Gun will never be "cheap". The only thing you can do is choose divisions like limited to reduce the cost of the arms race.

Thanks for the insight. This is just going to be a one time deal for an afternoon of fun with some of my shooting friends. Down the road a bit I may decide to get more involved with actual 3-G competition.

The course of fire sounds fine, but as many readers of your post will be thinking, I am more concerned about safety. When guys get competitive with running and gunning, the likelihood of accidents increases. Does everyone in your group have experience moving and shooting? If not, this may be a dangerous way to start. A few thoughts:

If this is a remote area, any major trauma will be a long way from medical...

Lots of stuff can go wrong, and experienced competitors who have had training know how to deal with:

--maintaining 180, slipping and falling safely, finger straight & out of the trigger guard while moving, how to safely deal with a fumbled weapon, and many more.

Experienced Range Safety Officers are trained to guide new competitors safely, and can stop problems before they happen. As importantly, trained RSOs know how to keep themselves out of harms way.

So, this might be a really bad idea...

Thanks, I appreciate the input. Safety is of primary importance. I was planning that the stages would be stationary with no transfer of gun(s) between stations. Go to station one, load the magazine, fire at targets per previous post, drop empty mag and safety check gun. put down on table and move to the next stage, repeat. Timing the event would be the thing that introduces stress. To simplify it even more I could just have three stages of target shooting (three different types of guns and targets) with no time element. Only experienced shooters could advance to a timed event if desired.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top