JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
I have been thinking of trying my hand at Three gunshooting and was wondering if this would be a good setup
1) Bushmaster AR15 carbine
2) Mossberg 12ga 20" barrel, 8 shot tube
3) Hk Usp .40sw full 3-10rd mags

Thoughts, concerns, comments???

Excellent choices on all three firearms. Of course everyone has an opinion and you are likely to hear that semi-auto shotguns are better, a different caliber of handgun, or different model is better, rifle changes could be made and so on. But in truth, no matter how good your equipment, someone will criticize it.

I think some people just like to try and show off what they think they know by criticizing someone else's gear. In reality, if you learn to run your gear properly, you will have a great time, and do just fine. I wouldn't change any of the gear you have until you can outshoot it. If you are honest with yourself and your skill level, it should take a couple of years before you can outshoot that gear.

A really good holster and belt for your handgun are extremely important to consistency, speed, and safety. Don't scrimp on those items.

A couple of good classes like those offered at Thunder Ranch will let you know a great deal about what to focus your learning on. Other than that, be safe, and start competing. Competition will help you out tremendously. If you aren't too knowledgeable, some coaching will really help you avoid some bad habits that can be very hard to get rid of.

Practice doesn't make perfect. PERFECT practice makes perfect. Go slowly until you build CORRECT muscle memory, then speed will automatically happen. If you try to go too fast too early on, you learn bad habits that are extremely hard to unlearn.

Excellent choices on all three firearms. Of course everyone has an opinion and you are likely to hear that semi-auto shotguns are better, a different caliber of handgun, or different model is better, rifle changes could be made and so on. But in truth, no matter how good your equipment, someone will criticize it.

I think some people just like to try and show off what they think they know by criticizing someone else's gear. In reality, if you learn to run your gear properly, you will have a great time, and do just fine. I wouldn't change any of the gear you have until you can outshoot it. If you are honest with yourself and your skill level, it should take a couple of years before you can outshoot that gear.

A really good holster and belt for your handgun are extremely important to consistency, speed, and safety. Don't scrimp on those items.

A couple of good classes like those offered at Thunder Ranch will let you know a great deal about what to focus your learning on. Other than that, be safe, and start competing. Competition will help you out tremendously. If you aren't too knowledgeable, some coaching will really help you avoid some bad habits that can be very hard to get rid of.

Practice doesn't make perfect. PERFECT practice makes perfect. Go slowly until you build CORRECT muscle memory, then speed will automatically happen. If you try to go too fast too early on, you learn bad habits that are extremely hard to unlearn.

Highly agree. there is a lot of people who just want to show off what the overspent, or what they read. Practice and knowing your equipment is the most important part. While in the military, i did not like all the service weapons, but i learned to use them properly and commited to muscle memory (maybe that is why i continue to sweep the safty of my Glock??). I don't know if anyone has bad equipment, just equipment not used properly.

I am also trying to figure out where and more imprtantly with whom to practice.
I think the above advice is correct regarding your equipment. Once you get into a specific quality range it isnt really about the equipment and more about the person and amount of proper practice.
Good luck and keep us "lurkers" informed.

Upcoming Events

Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top