JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Yes, a firearm can be owned by two people. Property ownership is different from registration, that is a common mistake. I can own a car that is not registered to me. Registration is a powerful indicator of ownership, but it is not legally dispositive. If someone gives you half the money for a firearm with the intention that you're both going to own it, and you buy the gun and "register" it in your name, and then later you destroy it without the other's permission, the other owner can sue you for his/her damages in loss of that firearm.

On the other hand, the above scenario could possibly fall under the straw purchases prohibition.

There are also things called gun trusts. A trust is created, the gun(s) are transferred to the trust as its corpus, and several people become the trust's beneficiaries. The trust now owns the gun(s).

The real point I'm trying to make here is that there is no such thing as a "simple question" when it comes to gun laws.

After the ownership question you should ask who is responsible if the gun is used in a crime if there is more than one owner. Could those in a trust be held accountable if one member uses the firearm to murder people? Its my opinion in the states eyes you own nothing but can be held responsible for what is under your control.

Reading the OP's question concerning potential future registration requirements, if it's desired to have more than person "own" the gun, transfer it to a trust. I've had a trust for years that own my NFA items. You will want to examine the details of being a trust grantor of course, there are responsibilities.

Legal Extended Family Corporation? Known also as a Family Trust? Then all value or items becomes family property? Would this also apply to firearms? Just me but I don't see why not.

I am NOT a lawyer. Some help here please? Thank you.
My ARs are in a trust with me and my wife as trustees. Our 3 yo is the beneficiary. The trustees and the beneficiary can be changed from time to time. The trust never dies. The ARs will never go away.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top