JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
So while I been thinking about this stupid Ballot measure 43 something came up. My son and I bought a Winchester Model 1894 from Spitpatch a while back (pre BGC for private sale bull) and we both put in an equal amount of cash. At the time agreed we were buying it together as an addition to the family collection (which will be divided between son and daughter some day).

So this piece of personal property is owned by two people (both have CHL's and Both regularly pass BGC's for other purchases) Now two people can own a car, a house, a cow what ever.

Can two people own a firearm?

And if so how would two people register said property should it at one time come to this. Or does Federal Law some where prohibit two people from owning a piece of personal property just because its a firearm? I have read an awful lot of gun laws over the past 50 years (got interested in opposing gun control with my dad in 1968) and I can not remember ever seeing this addressed.

...and technically, you cant legally buy a gun on behalf of someone else... might want to edit your post above.

Legal Extended Family Corporation? Known also as a Family Trust? Then all value or items becomes family property? Would this also apply to firearms? Just me but I don't see why not.

I am NOT a lawyer. Some help here please? Thank you.

...and technically, you cant legally buy a gun on behalf of someone else... might want to edit your post above.

I won't comment on your reading comprehension but I would like to ask which one of us bought the firearm on behalf of the other? We bought it together as in half the money came from me and half came from my son we own the rifle together.

IP43 bans only semi-automatic weapons.

Read the post "if so how would two people register said property should it at one time come to this"

a 4473 is the federal form used when purchasing a firearm from a FFL we did not do this nor was there any reason at the time to involve a FFL.

I would really like to see the actual law that says two people can't own the same firearm OR that only one person at a time can own a firearm.

I won't comment on your reading comprehension but I would like to ask which one of us bought the firearm on behalf of the other? We bought it together as in half the money came from me and half came from my son we own the rifle together.

Read the post "if so how would two people register said property should it at one time come to this"

a 4473 is the federal form used when purchasing a firearm from a FFL we did not do this nor was there any reason at the time to involve a FFL.

well, if one of you gave the other money to buy the gun for both of you, the buyer isn't the intended recipient of the gun. There's only room for one name on a 4473. That should answer both of your questions, if you feel it doesn't apply to you then I apologize. Just having a conversation here, Im not a lawyer and can easily be wrong.

Koda there was no 4473 involved. My son handed his half of the money to the seller and I handed my half. No one bought anything for anyone else. We bought it together from a Private Party not requiring a BGC or any paper work.

Koda there was no 4473 involved. My son handed his half of the money to the seller and I handed my half. No one bought anything for anyone else. We bought it together from a Private Party not requiring a BGC or any paper work.

then your good to go in my opinion. If it ever comes to registering, or transferring then one person will be the legal owner on the FFL and the actual ownership will be like a handshake agreement.

the reason Google shows this in your search is because its reading your cookies and history. Clear those and you will get different results, until you click on this thread again.

Boy thats a good question, moist lawyers prior to SB941 said get a bill of sale. I wonder if said bill of sale had two names on it ? But this is why Gun registration and limitations do not do anything.

I get that you acquired the firearm before private transfer laws were in place (these are state laws mind you), but since the 4473 (federal document) only has a place for one name the answer to your question should be clear. And that answer is no. What you do with that information is up to you.

My understanding is that a trust can be setup such that the trust is the owner of the property.

There may be special kinds of trusts, or the trust may have to meet certain criteria for certain kinds of property (e.g., real estate), that is the basic idea of a trust; a trust owns the property and the people who are beneficiaries to the trust jointly own the property to their benefit and within the conditions of the trust.

The OP appears to want the answer to be yes. As long as the gun stays off the legal radar the answer is yes. If there's trouble the answer will be, what ever the system wants. Who ever had possession when trouble hits better claim it.

OK so there is no law that can be sighted that says two people can not own a firearm but its just that way. OK I guess. How does community property work?

Upcoming Events

Tillamook Gun & Knife Show
Tillamook, OR
"The Original" Kalispell Gun Show
Kalispell, MT
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top