JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
I've been spending the winter months going through my gunsafe & cleaning my many neglected firearms. I live in the desert so rust is nver a problem but some of them were getting a little dirty in the action from repeated firing.

I carried a Sig P226 for 18 years as a LEO & loved the gun. It was simple to disassemble & hardly ever had a misfire. I also carried a P228 off duty & on special out of uniform details. It too was flawless!

I cleaned my Ruger 22/45 yesterday & could not get the thing back together properly. I got so frustrated I left it last night & after a little research figured out what I had done wrong. I hadn't put the trigger in the right position while reassembling it & the mainspring got jammed. I've took it apart a couple more times just to be sure I had it down.

I had a similar problem a few weeks ago putting my 1911 Kimber back together.

The point is; Sigs are so damned simple I guess I got a bit complacent with the 22/45 & the 1911. Lesson learned: READ THE INSTRUCTIONS!

At least most of my guns are now clean!

Yes Sigs are easy to field strip but the 1911 or Glock is a lot easier to detail strip. Most guns get easier to work on once you understand how they are put together. I find it is handy to have the Gun Digest books on disassemble to refer to.

I have found the Sig to be a very simple detail strip...with the caveat that a bigger hammer is better than a little one when removing the firing pin position pin from a stainless finished slide.

My first pistol was a Ruger Mark III Hunter with the fluted barrel. Amazing shooter. But I never disassembled or reassembled it without a set of step by step instructions. I eventually sold it to help finance my first carry gun. I have two 1911s now, so last month I bought a Ruger 22/45 to use as a cheaper way to practice. I had forgotten what a pain it can be, especially the whole point it down, point it up, magazine in, magazine out, etc. Not to mention being so tight when it's new you can get a hernia just getting it apart. Still, it's a gorgeous pistol that's a blast to shoot. No complaints, regardless of its quirks.

Thanks guys for the posts! I don't feel so dumb now. My Ruger 22/45 is a great shooter & an economical way to practice but it had me so frustrated the other day about threw it in the *hit can!

Thank gawd for You Tube where I found some help!

Upcoming Events

Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR
Arms Collectors of Southwest Washington (ACSWW) gun show
Battle Ground, WA

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top