Quantcast
  1. Sign up now and join over 35,000 northwest gun owners. It's quick, easy, and 100% free!
  2. We're giving away over $1,000 in prizes this month in the Northwest Firearms Winter Giveaway!
    Dismiss Notice

Sigs are so simple!

Discussion in 'Handgun Discussion' started by Nimbus, Feb 13, 2012.

1. Nimbus

Nimbus Walla Walla Member

I've been spending the winter months going through my gunsafe & cleaning my many neglected firearms. I live in the desert so rust is nver a problem but some of them were getting a little dirty in the action from repeated firing.

I carried a Sig P226 for 18 years as a LEO & loved the gun. It was simple to disassemble & hardly ever had a misfire. I also carried a P228 off duty & on special out of uniform details. It too was flawless!

I cleaned my Ruger 22/45 yesterday & could not get the thing back together properly. I got so frustrated I left it last night & after a little research figured out what I had done wrong. I hadn't put the trigger in the right position while reassembling it & the mainspring got jammed. I've took it apart a couple more times just to be sure I had it down.

I had a similar problem a few weeks ago putting my 1911 Kimber back together.

The point is; Sigs are so damned simple I guess I got a bit complacent with the 22/45 & the 1911. Lesson learned: READ THE INSTRUCTIONS!

At least most of my guns are now clean!

2. sheepman

sheepman Las Vegas NV Member

Yes Sigs are easy to field strip but the 1911 or Glock is a lot easier to detail strip. Most guns get easier to work on once you understand how they are put together. I find it is handy to have the Gun Digest books on disassemble to refer to.

3. rolandson

rolandson Oregon Active Member

I have found the Sig to be a very simple detail strip...with the caveat that a bigger hammer is better than a little one when removing the firing pin position pin from a stainless finished slide.

4. iamme

iamme Lane County Well-Known Member

From what I know comparing anything to the 22/45 is easier to put back together.

5. SynapticSilence

SynapticSilence Battle Ground, WA Well-Known Member

My first pistol was a Ruger Mark III Hunter with the fluted barrel. Amazing shooter. But I never disassembled or reassembled it without a set of step by step instructions. I eventually sold it to help finance my first carry gun. I have two 1911s now, so last month I bought a Ruger 22/45 to use as a cheaper way to practice. I had forgotten what a pain it can be, especially the whole point it down, point it up, magazine in, magazine out, etc. Not to mention being so tight when it's new you can get a hernia just getting it apart. Still, it's a gorgeous pistol that's a blast to shoot. No complaints, regardless of its quirks.

6. Nimbus

Nimbus Walla Walla Member

Thanks guys for the posts! I don't feel so dumb now. My Ruger 22/45 is a great shooter & an economical way to practice but it had me so frustrated the other day about threw it in the *hit can!

Thank gawd for You Tube where I found some help!

7. Spad

Spad Kennewick,WA, the desert side Active Member

I have to say that fieldstripping a 1911 is one of these ones I can do blindfolded. The Sig is easy to strip too. Both fine guns. The Sig for me is just an accurate pistol. Spad

8. jrprich

jrprich PNW Well-Known Member

That is the truth :laugh:

9. Spad

Spad Kennewick,WA, the desert side Active Member

I don't want to field strip my Ruger .22 Auto,maybe that is why I haven't shot it in a longwhile...Ha. Spad:paranoid::laugh:

10. coop44

coop44 Tacoma ,WA Well-Known Member

There was a time I made money off folks who screwed up a ruger assembly. Never was that hard for me, just had to figure it out once.