JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
An oldie but a goodie. Since I've owned it, it's had an interesting issue where the gun will not fire after it's been decocked. (Granted, I'd probably be a bit gun shy if I'd been decocked.)

Jokes aside, here is how the gun currently functions:

Rack slide, chamber a round, pull single action trigger, the gun fires as it should.

If you decock the gun after chambering a round, then pull the double action trigger, the gun will not fire; no matter how many times you pull the trigger.

To get the gun to fire again, you can either manually pull back the hammer and fire from single action, or you can rack the slide again. Essentially, the gun won't fire from double action.
I've done a little bit of research, but nothing definitive has come up. It would seem that it's not a very common problem. Potentially a weak trigger spring or sear on an internal safety that's not engaging?

Any sig gurus have an idea as to why this is happening?

The decocker has to deactivate firing sequence or the dropping hammer could set off a detonation. Clearly something isn't resetting on decocker release. Take off the grips and see if they are either installed too tight and impinging on the reset spring, or if the spring has jumped from its detent hole. Aftermarket hogues were a problem for me similar to this on a p220.

The decocker has to deactivate firing sequence or the dropping hammer could set off a detonation. Clearly something isn't resetting on decocker release. Take off the grips and see if they are either installed too tight and impinging on the reset spring, or if the spring has jumped from its detent hole. Aftermarket hogues were a problem for me similar to this on a p220.
Thanks. Taking off the grips and giving it a once over was the first thing I did. It didn't seem to help and it is using the stock grips.

I just tried this on my P-6 and mine works as it should load and de-cock then double action trigger. Now to be fair I didn't try with live ammo only dry firing but things went click when they should. I do know the little curly cue on the hammer was there to tell if the pistol had been dropped and if it was damaged they were taken out of service due to possible fire control damage.

In double action, does the hammer fall but won't detonate? If so, then the disconnector is sticking in the disconnect position due to a engagement problem with the decocking mechanism. Probably it's a spring issue. I don't think Sigs use firing pin blocks, but I could be wrong.

In double action, does the hammer fall but won't detonate? If so, then the disconnector is sticking in the disconnect position due to a engagement problem with the decocking mechanism. Probably it's a spring issue. I don't think Sigs use firing pin blocks, but I could be wrong.
Exactly, the hammer falls and it just clicks. Looks like I should buy a spring kit.

I've taken my 226 down to put in a SRT trigger and can tell you it is a PITA to manage those springs. Watch a YouTube video while doing it and don't let parts fly. You must use punches as slave pins.

Does your trigger have a pre-travel adjustment screw?
Sounds like a bit more pre-travel adjustment is needed to let the trigger further forward in double action mode.
Just a thought.

I don't know if the P6 had a factory pre-travel screw on the trigger, but some of the Sig's did. Maybe an aftermarket trigger was installed improperly? Could be a reset spring issue as others have stated as well.

My vote would be contacting Bruce and company over at:
This ^^^ (otherwise known as SIG West)
Or just send it to New Hampshire for their "fluff and buff".
And maybe an SRT if it doesn't have already have one.

It doesn't look like this trigger has a pre-travel screw, though looking at it, I don't think it's stock. That very well could be the source of all my woes.

Interestingly, with the slide off, the firing pin block actuator does engage when pulled in double action.

IMG_20210812_101328332_HDR~2.jpg

IMG_20210812_101543507_HDR.jpg IMG_20210812_101000425.jpg

That was it! Thanks again, I owe you a beer!

Though, I had to bend the spring to get it to fit correctly. It may have been bent from being in the wrong position for so long. I'll need to order up a new one so I feel confident in it.

Upcoming Events

Tillamook Gun & Knife Show
Tillamook, OR
"The Original" Kalispell Gun Show
Kalispell, MT
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top