Quantcast
  1. Sign up now and join over 35,000 northwest gun owners. It's quick, easy, and 100% free!

Sig P229 Equinox?

Discussion in 'Handgun Discussion' started by PrestonC29, Dec 22, 2010.

1. PrestonC29

PrestonC29 Washington New Member

Has anyone heard much about this gun. It looks sweet! Besides it's great looks, is it as good of a gun as the regular Sig P229?

2. spengo

spengo GLORIOUS CASCADIA Active Member

It is exactly the same as the regular p229 except for the (well... I think it's horribly ugly personally) styling and a front sight that is both fiber and tritium.

I have heard reports of the fiber falling out but that is just what I heard on the internet so take that with a grain of salt. Front sight is easily replaceable with a regular tritium-only one if it is a problem anyway.

3. PrestonC29

Sweet thanks. That's what I was thinking but wasn't for sure. Thanks for your help!

4. PlayboyPenguin

PlayboyPenguin Pacific Northwest Well-Known Member 2016 Volunteer

It is an amazing gun. It is just a stainless P229 with some blackened accents. The only problem is the black is not the strongest finish. It tends to start wearing a bit if carried.

5. spengo

All p229s have a stainless slide, the all-black ones just have a nitron finish.

6. PlayboyPenguin

The Equinox also has a stainless frame just like the elite stainless models...and the SIG finish is not the best I have ever seen.

7. spengo

Ah, I see. I believe my regular sig p229 has an aluminum alloy frame. I wonder if that makes much difference in the weight of the gun?

EDIT: actually according to the sig website you are incorrect:
    >It features a two-tone accented Nitron® stainless steel slide with a lightweight black hard-anodized alloy frame

8. PrestonC29

Damn, that's a bummer. I really wanted to carry this gun. But if i'm paying that much for a gun, I don't want to ruin it iether.

9. spengo

Ruin? Don't you mean give character? :)

10. PlayboyPenguin

You are right. I keep forgetting that the P229 Equinox I saw at the trials was a pre-production model. They never produced it that way due to the stainless frame shortage they went through a couple of years ago. I waited two years from a stainless P220 because of teh shortage before giving up on it and later getting one from JC Weaponry.

11. Glock32

Glock32 Marion county, or Active Member

not a fan of equinox look, but I have never met a sig I didn't love to shoot. If you like the pistol jump at it.