JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
I recently picked up CA-compliant Sig P229 because was on a good deal and was the only P229 variant still in production with a rail and no huge beavertail, which is the configuration I wanted. A no BS, simple, compact(ish) 9mm SA/DA with a great trigger. I thought the only CA-specific difference was that it ships with 10 rounds mags.

I was wrong.

It also has a magazine disconnect that I will remove ASAP, and a big ugly loaded chamber indicator.

I'd like to replace the slide with one that doesn't have that, but Sig only seems to be producing the BS "pro cut" slides, usually bundled with an optic I don't want.

Does anyone have a source for an original P229-1 slide? I've checked the usual sources like E-Bay, Gunbroker, all manner of online vendors, and all I can find are non-9mm calibers, P229 legacy, or instagram-ready hype-trash. The closest is probably this Legion slide on Sig's website, but it's even out of stock there: https://www.sigsauer.com/p229-legion-slide-assembly-optic-ready.html

will this one work?

will this one work?
I'm not sure. Sig has really made a mess of parts compatibility in the P229 series. It looks like the ad owner thinks it will with only a locking piece change, but other posts around the web say I'd have to replace the barrel too.

I think you are right the barrel/slide have to match with the loaded chamber indicator. I remember that from when I bought the 357 Sig barrel for my P-229 40 S&W.
Edited to add you might try where he got his slide and see if they've got something that will work for you.

you might try where he got his slide and see if they've got something that will work for you.
Yep, I did. They do have one but it's sold out right now. I got on the mailing list for it, but I wouldn't be surprised if it never comes back in stock because Sig doesn't seem to care to sell them.

I'll probably just cut the LCI leg off, grind it flush with the slide, and Cerakote the damn thing. Certainly would be the cheapest route.

Any way to view that without creating an account
1703188023958.png
1703188082660.png

1703188045203.png

Thanks for the relay. I'm definitely interested so I created an account, but I appear to be blocked any time I try to read a post in the marketplace section:

1703189290194.jpeg

I can't even read the FAQ thread in the marketplace forum. I'm probably blocked since I'm such a new user now.

I'll try again a different time, but thanks for the help @Nosferatu and @powermad.

In case anyone else ends up in the same position: the slide on Sig's website that I originally linked to came back in stock. A legion account is required to order it online, but Sig will create one for you if you call, so I ordered it over the phone. I also ordered a threaded barrel from another vendor and sold the original slide and barrel to a CA resident (the original CA barrel is notched for the LCI).

Matrix Precision has the right non-magazine-disconnect locking inserts here: https://www.matrixprecisionparts.com/product/sig-sauer-p229-1-locking-insert-40-357-9mm/

I'm happy with the final result, but it definitely wasn't worth the effort. I should have just saved a bit more and gotten the P229 Elite or Legion to begin with. I ended up spending more anyway.

20240125_200319.jpg

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads