JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
I am considering my first purchase of a 1911 with a rail and am looking seriously at the Sig 1911's. I have looked at the Sig Tactical 1911 with rail with the Nitron finish and also the Sig Scorpion with rail with the Flat Dark Earth Cerakote finish.

I kind of like the looks of the Scorpion, but have no experience with Cerakote finishes. The Sig Nitron finish seems to have held up well for my friends that have Sigs, but I was wondering about durability of the Nitron finish vs. the Cerakote finish.

Anyone have any input regarding Nitron vs. Cerakote finish from a durability standpoint? I think the Scorpion looks kind of cool, but if it comes down to cool vs. durability I will side with durability.

Thanks.

Sig put the Nitron finish on my P210 Legend, and it appears to be a high end and durable finish. It took me a bit to figure out the reassembly after cleaning it, as the slide stop wouldn't go back in until I figured out about the spring that must go underneath it which took some "encouragement" from a punch to go into place. Through all the gyrations of getting it back together the first time I kept thinking somewhere along the line I will find I scratched it (a true tragedy given what I was working on), but the finish was unscathed. I think that they chose the Nitron for the P210 Legend says it all.

Sig put the Nitron finish on my P210 Legend, and it appears to be a high end and durable finish. It took me a bit to figure out the reassembly after cleaning it, as the slide stop wouldn't go back in until I figured out about the spring that must go underneath it which took some "encouragement" from a punch to go into place. Through all the gyrations of getting it back together the first time I kept thinking somewhere along the line I will find I scratched it (a true tragedy given what I was working on), but the finish was unscathed. I think that they chose the Nitron for the P210 Legend says it all.

Thanks for the input. BTW, how do you like the P210 Legend? At first glance a low cap 9mm for over $2k sounds a little riduculous, but the more I look at that pistol the more it kind of screams "You want me!".

Pricey for a single stack 9mm? Yes, but not much more than a custom .45 auto (less in many cases). But it has to be one of the most accurate pistols I own. It came with a 25Meter target with a one inch group and in my hands it appears to live up to that promise. It is reliable to a fault and has the best trigger of any gun I own, except maybe my Colt Python or my S&W Model 41. Trigger is certainly on par with those guns. Fit and finish are both superb. Woodwork on the grip is outstanding in terms of fit. It came with two mags, but I was able to find factory magazines for it at an on-line place called Top Gun, for $35 each (in itself a steal, since Sig sells them for over twice that, if they have them). I had a fit of a time the first time I disassembled it trying to get it back together. There is a little spring that has to fit under the slide stop or the slide stop won't go back in. Just had to notice that and then used a blunt tool to push the spring underneath the slide stop and it clicked right in. After that no problems. Nothing about this is written in the instruction manual. Only problem besides cost is finding one. Sig was telling my dealer it would be next summer delivery for one ordered now. However with a couple of days on the telephone, my dealer was able to come up with four of them (all of which he bought) and sold me one of them. Guess you can tell I am pretty pleased with it.

I doubt you would be able to tell the difference in the finishes over time. None of them are bullet proof and all scratch if you work at it. I just sold a Sig with the Nitron and was nice, but maybe not any better than the Cerakote on one of my rifles. BTW, I found Sig 1911 triggers to be hit and miss. I would definately try the one I was going to buy. Ken

I doubt you would be able to tell the difference in the finishes over time. None of them are bullet proof and all scratch if you work at it. I just sold a Sig with the Nitron and was nice, but maybe not any better than the Cerakote on one of my rifles. BTW, I found Sig 1911 triggers to be hit and miss. I would definately try the one I was going to buy. Ken

Thanks, I really didn't expect any finish to be completely scratch resistant. I was just looking for input from someone who may have experience with both to see if one is appreciably better than the other or if it is pretty much a toss up.

Good advice on the trigger, but I always check the trigger on any firearm I am buying. I've bought some firearms with triggers that weren't what I wanted, but I had already resigned myself to the fact that I was going to have to invest in a trigger job to get what I wanted. In those few cases, the other attributes of the gun were enough to make up for the additional investment in a trigger job.

I was playing with the Tan colored Sig 1911 at the gun show a few weeks ago and it had a wonderfull trigger. One at Sportsmans horehouse Saturday was horrible. Ken

This has less to do with the finish and more to do with the actual gun... keep in mind the Sig 1911 is a unique 1911. They have a completely different slide and controls than a traditional model, so normal holsters and parts wont fit them. The Scorpion has Sig's flat-top slide, as does most of their current tactical 1911s. They are still great guns, but just something to keep in mind since you mentioned this will be your first 1911. Sig just recently began offering a "traditional" series of 1911s. These have a "round top" slide- they fit all normal 1911 holsters and the internals are normal 1911 size/fit. I bought their traditional two-tone match elite last week. It is beautiful and has a nice crisp trigger. Just something to consider before you end up with something you might not want :)

This has less to do with the finish and more to do with the actual gun... keep in mind the Sig 1911 is a unique 1911. They have a completely different slide and controls than a traditional model, so normal holsters and parts wont fit them. The Scorpion has Sig's flat-top slide, as does most of their current tactical 1911s. They are still great guns, but just something to keep in mind since you mentioned this will be your first 1911. Sig just recently began offering a "traditional" series of 1911s. These have a "round top" slide- they fit all normal 1911 holsters and the internals are normal 1911 size/fit. I bought their traditional two-tone match elite last week. It is beautiful and has a nice crisp trigger. Just something to consider before you end up with something you might not want :)

You may have misunderstood me. This wouldn't be my first 1911, just my first one with a rail. I have a DW CBOB, Colt GoldCup, and Ed Brown Kobra. I just thought the Sig offered a lot of bang for the buck for a railed 1911, but am open to other options. If the cash fairy decided to leave and extra $2K+ under my pillow, I'd just get another Ed Brown, but finances at this time dictate looking at other options. My real question was about the finish and whether there were any advantages or disadvantages for the Nitron finish vs. Cerakote.

You, sir, are correct. I just re-read your original post... I thought it was your first 1911. Sounds like your 1911 collection is shaping up nicely! To answer the original question, I recently read an article/complaint (might have been on 1911addicts.com) about the Cerakote on the Scorpion flaking off after a few hundred rounds. The general response was this would be covered by the Sig warranty, so a fresh coat would be applied at no cost.

You, sir, are correct. I just re-read your original post... I thought it was your first 1911. Sounds like your 1911 collection is shaping up nicely! To answer the original question, I recently read an article/complaint (might have been on 1911addicts.com) about the Cerakote on the Scorpion flaking off after a few hundred rounds. The general response was this would be covered by the Sig warranty, so a fresh coat would be applied at no cost.

Thanks, that was kind of my concern as it seems like the Cerakote is more of a coating application than the Nitron Finish. BTW, I have the Gen III finish on my EB and really like it. Haven't put enough rounds thru it yet to really say how it holds up over time, but so far so good.

I was at the gun store today drooling over this gun
Then some dag nab kids with money in hand, started to fondle my new gun
Well I didn't buy it yet.

But i will have one of these in the next couple weeks. They are in the $900 range here.

So will these take regular 1911 magazines? They look the same,too many people there to really compare.

Slightly off-topic, but I'm interested in a P210 Legend. How much did you pay for it and from which store? I haven't been able to see one at any LGS in PDX.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top