JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
I understand that wood stocks can cost more and may even take more work to make and install...but really...?
For sure it's more of a process than squeezing out synthetic stocks by the millions. Plus the fore end/action bars require more parts which helps account for some of the added cost.

It's easy enough to buy and retrofit a syn stock M500 w factory wooden furniture, but by the time you gather all the pieces it costs about the same as just buying wood from the git-go.

Never really thought to take pictures of a pump gun so you can barely see it. 20 ga 870 Wingmaster built on the 12 ga frame. Bought it back in 82 from the Mather AFB Rod and Gun Club. Came with two barrels, a 28" modified and a 25" skeet barrel. Put a Jack West adjustable stock on it which has gotten pretty dinged up from all the bird hunting. The original wood is still sitting in a box. Shot a lot of birds and a lot of clays with it.

fullsizeoutput_2de.jpeg

My Remington 870 Wingmaster , 1962
20 gauge , 28 inch barrel and Modified choke......
Andy
I have the slightly newer version of that given to me by Dad for Christmas, 1966.
And his big brother 12ga that Dad got for himself shortly after so we could hunt together. Sadly, not long after, his health began to fail so it didn't see much use and remains pretty pristine. My 20ga is almost as clean for the same reason. Plus, I'm more inclined to treat my guns like a micrometer than a claw hammer.
20190708_124308.jpg
The Jap Arisaka Dad sent home at the end of the war prompted an interest in martial arms so along the way I picked up an original Winchester 1897 Trench gun in pretty good shape.
20180915_122952.jpg

Ok, so finally got my JC Higgins model 20 project done, thanks to @NWCustomFirearms for an awesome finish on the steel.

A little backstory: picked this JC Higgins model 20 up a few years ago for $100. The finish was pretty much bare metal, the barrel had been bubba'd to 18.75" and the stock was a dorky pistol grip. Decided I wanted to make it shine again. Got the stock and the buttpad on ebay. Sanded the stock and the pump down to bare wood and stained them dark cherry. Polished all the internals, to include the magazine follower (which was steel, thank God). Wanted a 7 round mag tube (the original is a 5 rounder) so I ordered a 7 round mossberg mag tube and spring. This was the most frustrating part, as I wanted the extra length for the extra shells, so I had to carefully measure, cut and weld the mag tube so that the tube would somewhat match the barrel length (it doesn't quite, but what can you do?)

Anyways, got the mag tube welded back together, with all the original JC Higgins components still in place. Then I disassembled it all, took it all to NW Custom firearms and had it durakoted (cerakoted?) Sniper gray, because that was the closest color to parkerized gray.

TIG welded a little tab to the barrel band to act as a sling mount, added a 1903 Enfield sling mount to the stock, and looped a leather sling on.

Ultimately, I spent a LOT more money making her pretty than what I bought her for, but dammit does she look like a new scatter gun! And of course, I have to wait a month to shoot her since I leave for BLC tomorrow... :mad:

PS: the pics don't do her justice...

86AAE4F2-C255-42A3-AA13-AC50C96FA0CC.jpeg AB55FFF6-4A4A-4AD9-A8E6-DD873C8CB9B6.jpeg 7AD63791-9949-4A1C-A7A9-46F623AC3C61.jpeg F32FC789-D5A7-4274-B468-7CA21BC8E723.jpeg 5D9E128F-BB99-4EAF-8781-A09BF2A11626.jpeg 21823E8E-B80F-4050-9C69-E98DC0132BEE.jpeg EE5AF90F-E007-4949-B499-B842087951BB.jpeg

Ok, so finally got my JC Higgins model 20 project done, thanks to @NWCustomFirearms for an awesome finish on the steel.

A little backstory: picked this JC Higgins model 20 up a few years ago for $100. The finish was pretty much bare metal, the barrel had been bubba'd to 18.75" and the stock was a dorky pistol grip. Decided I wanted to make it shine again. Got the stock and the buttpad on ebay. Sanded the stock and the pump down to bare wood and stained them dark cherry. Polished all the internals, to include the magazine follower (which was steel, thank God). Wanted a 7 round mag tube (the original is a 5 rounder) so I ordered a 7 round mossberg mag tube and spring. This was the most frustrating part, as I wanted the extra length for the extra shells, so I had to carefully measure, cut and weld the mag tube so that the tube would somewhat match the barrel length (it doesn't quite, but what can you do?)

Anyways, got the mag tube welded back together, with all the original JC Higgins components still in place. Then I disassembled it all, took it all to NW Custom firearms and had it durakoted (cerakoted?) Sniper gray, because that was the closest color to parkerized gray.

TIG welded a little tab to the barrel band to act as a sling mount, added a 1903 Enfield sling mount to the stock, and looped a leather sling on.

Ultimately, I spent a LOT more money making her pretty than what I bought her for, but dammit does she look like a new scatter gun! And of course, I have to wait a month to shoot her since I leave for BLC tomorrow... :mad:

PS: the pics don't do her justice...

View attachment 599258 View attachment 599259 View attachment 599260 View attachment 599261 View attachment 599262 View attachment 599263 View attachment 599264
Very cool shotgun...thank you for sharing.
Nothing like bringing an old gun back to life...
As for the cost...yeah it may have more than the dollar value of the gun , but...what the gun is worth to you now , 'cause its what you want , is priceless.
Andy

Upcoming Events

Lakeview Spring Gun Show
Lakeview, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR
Falcon Gun Show - Classic Gun & Knife Show
Stanwood, WA
Wes Knodel Gun & Knife Show - Albany
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads