JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Wild-Bunch.jpg

Cowboy-Long-Guns-010.jpg
Cowboy-Long-Guns-008.jpg
Cowboy-Long-Guns-006.jpg

Slam firing for the win!

Aloha, Mark

The Winchester Model 97 is a favorite for sure...I will use my friend's Granddads at times for grouse and such.
As for its use in movies The Wild Bunch in the above is always worth a watch...as well as Lee Marvin's use of it in The Professionals .....
Andy

Didn't we do this already? Oh, that was the "Show Your Home Defense Guns." Mine were shotguns so here we go again. These are my two Remington 870's in 12 gauge.

vr3NmP5.jpg

The upper one I bought in 1970 when I was in the army. It has the 20 inch improved cylinder barrel with rifle sights. Later, I bought an accessory plain 28 inch barrel for it.

The lower one was made in 1977, I think it was. I bought it second hand a few years ago. It has an 18 inch cylinder bore riot gun barrel on it.

I don't think you can go too far wrong by having one or two of these around. Lots of variety in ammunition types to fit your needs.

Another old Ithaca here, from the early '50s. I'm a big fan of these old Ithaca 37s; they feel and balance perfect for me.

Ithaca.jpg

I recently picked up an H&R Pardner 12 gauge at Walmart, for $148. I was surprised to see it was made by a subsidiary of Norinco. For a cheap Chinese gun, it feels really well made. I still prefer my old Ithacas of course, but I figured I couldn't go far wrong with a $148 shotgun.

CLT,
Was the H&R new?
I ask because Remington shut them down in 2015.
Could the Chinese manufacturer, as noted on the side of the receiver, be Sun City Machinery Co. or possibly, Sun City Industries ?

Last Edited:
I bought this mossberg 500 decades ago for around $100 new and it served for years as a reliable pheasant and duck gun.

Fast forward to 2008 and I left it in an unheated garage for about 9 mo. Bluing on barrel rusted and looked pretty bad. Action etc. we're still pristine.

So I cut the barrel down to 18.5 in and repurposed it to a home defense gun. Sanded barrel and painted it and forend black. Recently added the folding stock with pistol grip which cost $45 new on sale. 5+1 rounds of 00 buck make these a powerful, easy to store/maneuver, cheap, and ultra reliable home defense option.

39835C30-8056-4449-910B-4E3B7141D6E9.jpeg

CLT,
Was the H&R new?
I ask because Remington shut them down in 2015.
Could the Chinese manufacturer, as noted on the side of the receiver, be Sun City Machinery Co. or possibly, Sun City Industries ?

Brand new at Dallas, OR Walmart a couple months ago. H&R 1871 is a "zombie company". Yes, the old H&R is dead and gone, but the name lives on. It's kind of like Vice-Grip. A few years back a big corporate conglomerate bought out the original company, fired all the workers, closed the plant, and started stamping cheap Chinese junk with the Vice-Grip name. Sad.

The receiver says "Hawk Industries". According to the info I found online, they are a subsidiary of Norinco. I thought it was funny because I had a Norinco SKS 30 years ago.

Wow. First I've heard of that.
I was thinking you had a Stevens 301 and had just not checked close enough yet.
I'm going to have to look into that.
Thanks for the heads up.

Dean

Hmm, i've got to get my BPS out the safe to clean and get ready very soon, i'll have to see how photogenic it's feeling :D

I have the slightly newer version of that given to me by Dad for Christmas, 1966.
And his big brother 12ga that Dad got for himself shortly after so we could hunt together. Sadly, not long after, his health began to fail so it didn't see much use and remains pretty pristine. My 20ga is almost as clean for the same reason. Plus, I'm more inclined to treat my guns like a micrometer than a claw hammer.
View attachment 598508
The Jap Arisaka Dad sent home at the end of the war prompted an interest in martial arms so along the way I picked up an original Winchester 1897 Trench gun in pretty good shape.
View attachment 598509
Nice shotguns... many memories! Ummmm...the Arisaka-- pics?:)

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top