JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.

Should the gov't start doing psych evals & practical gun safety courses to get a CHL?

• No

Votes: 128 92.8%
  • Yes

Votes: 6 4.3%
  • Yes, they should pass the law immediately!

Votes: 4 2.9%

• Total voters
Reactions
What are your thoughts?

I think they should. Too many gun totting idiots ruin this priviledge for us. They think they are hard core just because the gov't gave them permission to carry a gun legally just becaused they passed a measly background check, paid the fees and took the class.

I also think they should be required to take an actual firearm practical for gun handling, shooting, and safety, instead of just the DD214 or taking the 3 hour class.

Strongly disagree with the OP. The crime rate (both violent and non-violent) is very disproportionately low among CHL holders. It's generally non-CHL holders that do things with guns that "ruin things for the rest of us." I don't like the word privilege in this case, as it's actually a right.

What are your thoughts?

I think they should. Too many gun totting idiots ruin this priviledge for us. They think they are hard core just because the gov't gave them permission to carry a gun legally just becaused they passed a measly background check, paid the fees and took the class.

I also think they should be required to take an actual firearm practical for gun handling, shooting, and safety, instead of just the DD214 or taking the 3 hour class.

I think you are seriously misguided on all counts.

IMHO, getting a CHL is a privilege, owning a firearm is a right.

Basically what it boils down to, I think people need to be somewhat sane to be able to carry a firearm or own one legally. They should also know how to shoot, and use a firearm safely.

Just my thought.

I'm simply asking if the gov't should make some changes in obtaining a CHL.

I am Pro gun, but some people should know about gun safety before they can even own one or be able to carry one.

The NRA approved course is a good idea.

They do psych evals for cops, they carry guns. Is it so wrong to get psych evals on people who apply for a CHL?

Even with psych evals on police officers, some manage to slip thru the cracks.

We need not "qualify" for any Constitutional rights. ;) Being born is the only qualification required.

But in order to obtain a CHL, you must A: pass a BG check, B: take a course, C: not be convicted of some crimes.

Those sound like some qualifications to me

Ok, let's disregard the psych eval. How about just a practical shooting/gun handling course?

If you're gonna carry a weapon, you should know how to use it safely. Know when to pull the gun out, a lesson of use of force and how to escalate it.

It doesn't hurt to practice with your weapon. After all, you want it to work when you need it the most.

So if you are asking for opinions in your OP why then to you keep bringing the law into the conversation. You are getting completely valid opinions the you obviously do not agree with and the only way for you to back up your disagreement is to cite laws. I do not get it? I understand your opinion but I disagree with it.

Opinions are opinions. I highly doubt that my opinion would ever go in effect. But, this is what I believe in, and most people will disagree with it.

If you are mentally sound, and can use your weapon properly, you shouldn't worry about my opinion.

I was robbed with a brandished knife about 20 years ago. I opted to let the lice-infested thug take the $200 as opposed to shoot him with my concealed .38 (if for no other reason than court costs would have been more expensive ;) ). I know when I should and shouldn't shoot someone, and I think most CHL are just as respectful of the awsome responsibility they bear if they choose to carry a weapon.

Quoted from your original post..."Too many gun totting idiots ruin this priviledge for us. They think they are hard core just because the gov't gave them permission to carry a gun"...I get the feeling you think that most CHL holders are a bunch of Wild West cowboys eager to kill someone. Yes there have been a few prominently displayed goofballs in the press from time to time, but by and large I wish the general population had the same non-existant crime record that CHL holders can claim. Psychos generally don't have criminal histories, so psychological testing in this case is invasive, redundant, and most importantly, subjective.

Some questions if I may...?

Why do you feel this way about CHL holders?

Why do you feel you are better able or trained to carry a firearm (assuming you do) than someone else?

How do you describe your relationship with your father?

Please, lie down over here on this comfortable couch and tell us all about it.

Keith (OK, I'm done. I'm having way too much fun for the middle of the workday :s0114: )

Upcoming Events

Lakeview Spring Gun Show
Lakeview, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR
Falcon Gun Show - Classic Gun & Knife Show
Stanwood, WA
Wes Knodel Gun & Knife Show - Albany
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top