JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
The Marlin 1894S with the endcap was made in 1983. Despite nicks and scuffs, the wood "furniture" has a deep shiny appearance that really comes alive with just a little oil. It's handsome and easy to maintain, even if it acquires another gouge.

The Marlin 1894C with the strap was made about 2008. The wood on that one has all the lustre and charm of what one pal calls "burl of packing crate." I understand that it will never have the nice natural grain of the older gun, but oiling it does NOTHING for the finish. Is it even wood? Or maybe it's just so coated in something that oil will never touch the actual wood?

I'm contemplating taking it down just far enough to re-stain and oil it for a more natural, old fashioned look and feel. Would that be a mistake? I ask because I tried the same thing with a Fender Telecaster (MIM) and quickly discovered veneer glued over a 3-piece laminated plank. Wrecked the guitar.

So what's my best bet with this newer Marlin? Thanks in advance for helpful tips!

Marlins.jpg

Try using the orange citrus jell type paint remover by Jasco. it's very easy to use.
Just smear some of it all over, wait five minutes and rub it off with four-ought steel wool.
I prefer using Birchwood Casey "Tru Oil for the finish. It's fairly forgiving to apply, just rub the stock with denatured alcohol after using the citrus oil finish remover.
Sand down the Tru-Oil between coats with the 4/0 steel wool.

Upcoming Events

Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR
Arms Collectors of Southwest Washington (ACSWW) gun show
Battle Ground, WA
Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top