JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
So for my 1,000th post thought I would throw out an thought grenade for some consideration. Really just looking for some feedback from the wise counsel that is NWF. How many times have we seen horrible muzzle control from people in gun stores...on both sides of the counter. Today, I asked to see a gun in a store. The employee pulled it out and proceeded to point it directly at my chest before (and while) he checked the chamber.

Most of the very poor gun handling I've seen has been from customers but seems like that it can be with employees as well. I understand that it can be difficult to look at a gun in a crowded store but I try to never flag anyone (after I personally have cleared the gun myself). I find the safest direction when checking out the sights and grip. Should employees, as tactfully as possible, guide people looking at guns to following basic gun safety rules? Should shops have a "direction of least consequence" for pointing guns? It just seems strange to me that we emphasize the rules of gun safety except at the point of purchase. Is this because it could scare off customers?

Just some thoughts and thanks for letting me stay around for 1,000 posts!

Should employees, as tactfully as possible, guide people looking at guns to following basic gun safety rules? Should shops have a "direction of least consequence" for pointing guns?
yes and yes.
Ive thought the second question for years theres no excuse for a gun store to not have a clear direction for customers to sight guns with like a target on the wall next to the ceiling or something.

To be honest, I always feel weird handling a gun in a store. I don't know where to point it, I don't know how to handle it. It almost feels like a gun store should always have a range.

Just stick it in the box, sir. I'll be back in a few minutes...

So for my 1,000th post thought I would throw out a thought grenade for some consideration. Really just looking for some feedback from the wise counsel that is NWF...

I think that this is on point. We all hope that this is taught early on, but that is not the case with many. These types of habits should be muscle memory...unconscious habits. I don't want to rip apart new enthusiasts, but a store should hold its employees to higher standards. Heck, the community should hold the stores and employees to higher standards. With great power comes great responsibility. These fundamentals need to be engrained before the guns go home because if we are not proactive it will be bureaucrats setting the rules and we all know how that goes.

Also, I agree with No_Regerts and they should always be pointed at the ground.

No - it should start at home with a competent family member from early youth.

Kids trained over time seem to be safer than adults who jump into firearms (in my experience).

That's great for those who do that (I'm one of them), but what about the rest?

No one size fits all answer. Some people are smart enough to teach themselves with reading and watching videos. Some should seek out competent instruction by those they may know, or those they could pay if they can't teach themselves. Some should avoid guns altogether because you can't fix stupid and it can be fatal.

It should be compulsory instruction in school, just like health class is now, but the banning crowd loves dead kids because it fuels their ban fire. Anytime a tragedy or evil comes across the news it isn't a matter of hours before politicians use the event to make public statements to further banning legislation.

Posted about an experience once before where a guy was handling a pump shotgun and proceeded to point it right at me, pulling the trigger and racking the slide several times. When I moved, he followed me with the barrel, still "shooting" me. I didn't know what to do about that and the clerk seemed just A-ok with it. So I left that store without buying a thing and will never be back

Firearm safety should begin as soon as someone shows an interest in firearms.
What this looks like , all depends on the person , and their situation.

Tailor the instruction to fit the needs of the person being instructed..And the situation that you are in.
Be polite , firm and concise with the directions and instructions that you give.

As far as the OP goes....
My answer is maybe.
You are in a gun shop , chances are , its not your shop , as in you are not the owner of the shop.
So the clerk has no real "relationship" with you...therefore , he may not respond well to what you say.
To step in and correct someone , especially a stranger , more than likely in front of others , is tricky at best.

When I have had myself on the wrong end of a gun when in a shop...
I have found that a polite , but firm :
Hey , lets point that over there .
Or
Finger off the trigger , please
Works well.
Andy

Thanks for the awesome replies everyone. I agree completely that safety should start earlier and at home (also like the at school idea as well as reinforcement or for kids that are not growing up around guns). With all the first time gun buyers it just seems we (the shooting community) are missing an opportunity. I've never, as in never ever in my life, seen a gun store with the safety rules or a notice about where to point a gun posted. This just seem to me to be a good concept and possibly a start.

Posted about an experience once before where a guy was handling a pump shotgun and proceeded to point it right at me, pulling the trigger and racking the slide several times. When I moved, he followed me with the barrel, still "shooting" me. I didn't know what to do about that and the clerk seemed just A-ok with it. So I left that store without buying a thing and will never be back
I missed your post on this and what a crazy experience! Speechless on this.

Wow....My blood pressure boiled just reading that. You're a better person than me for not walking over and beetch slapping both that guy AND the clerk. I really hope he didnt pass his BGC.

Posted about an experience once before where a guy was handling a pump shotgun and proceeded to point it right at me, pulling the trigger and racking the slide several times. When I moved, he followed me with the barrel, still "shooting" me.

My experience with that one, whether in a store or on the range with a newbie, is to politely but firmly redirect the muzzle of the weapon away from my body and explain to the person what the correct procedure is. I have had pretty good results, usually the other persons response is more embarrassment than belligerence.

I agree, it would be nice if everyone got the safety training beaten into their heads at an early age... my first instructor was a grizzled old Marine on a Boy Scout firing range, so you can well imagine that I took his wisdom on board at such an impressionable age. To this day, I still pick up even firearm-shaped objects like my impact gun at work, with my finger well away from the trigger.

I just point them at the ground.

I avoid moving guns below my waistline because it get snagged on my, um, uh....... yeah.

F265743D-BB49-4A5E-A523-AC53C50DA12D.jpeg

:eek:

Third grade would be a good starting point.

The first firearm safety class I took was in 7th grade and it is was offered by the junior high school I attended. It was an after school activity with one of the school's teachers conducting the class in one of the school's classrooms. Class was a couple hours long and I remember leaving left with my first firearms safety certificate. Alderwood Junior High, Edmonds School District 1975. Imagine the thought of this something like this even being suggested today.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top