JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.

Should felons have access to firearms?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Reactions
This isn't an easy answer. To me, I feel that the guy that gets drunk, writes a fraud check or smokes dope shouldn't necessarily be put into the same category as murderers, assaulters and rapists...however, I whole-heartedly think that violent offenders should never have access to firearms at all.

This isn't necessarily a thread about our justice system, but what you feel about a former felon carrying or owning firearms. Some of these guys are hardcore criminals that will re-offend and some of them are just kids that got hammered.

Discuss...

It is an easy answer and already being discussed in another current thread.

YES they should be able. If they are not "safe" enough to have a gun WHY are they even free? That is the underlying problem. Also when have ALL the laws we have now stopped a felon that wanted a gun from getting one?

There should be no repeat offenders. That might be a little hard, but no multiple repeat offenders. That phrase should not even be in our vocabulary...........

It is an easy answer and already being discussed in another current thread.

YES they should be able. If they are not "safe" enough to have a gun WHY are they even free? That is the underlying problem. Also when have ALL the laws we have now stopped a felon that wanted a gun from getting one?

There should be no repeat offenders. That might be a little hard, but no multiple repeat offenders. That phrase should not even be in our vocabulary...........

It's not an easy answer. Some people are stupid...even with a gun. Some people get drunk, shoot rounds in the air and accidently kill someone.

Should they go to prison for LIFE or be put to death? No. Should they ever handle a gun again? No.

Obviously this is just my opinion and you are more than entittled to your own.

i have to say the punishment should fit the crime. many people have their rights stripped for ridiculous things but others who have demonstrated the lack of respect for the right of others should not be given such respect without demonstrating change.

It's not an easy answer. Some people are stupid...even with a gun. Some people get drunk, shoot rounds in the air and accidently kill someone.

Should they go to prison for LIFE or be put to death? No. Should they ever handle a gun again? No.

That speaks to the second point of my post. What is actually going to stop a "prohibited" person from getting a firearm if they really want one?

You are wrong, it is a very easy answer because it has already been answered--The 2nd
amendment does not have any qualifiers for gun ownership. Unfortunately after our representatives tampering, the 2nd as we know it today is no longer recognizable compared to it's original simplicity.

If someone can't abide by laws and act as a responsible member of society then they are probably not responsible enough to own or act safely with firearms.
L

Which is probably true at the time they commit the crime.

I think people can change, wearing a scarlet letter for the rest of their days is not as much of an incentive to do so, I don't think I would want to aspire to be a good second class citizen. I'm all for second chances, redemption and forgiveness. I think the laws in Washington and Oregon are pretty fair.

I have several friends that are waiting for their 5 years to pass so they can have their civil and firearms rights restored, they are good people and well capable of handling their firearms responsibly.

Too many political crimes getting labeled as felonies. Too many serious crimes not being termed felonies.

I prefer that all those who did their time get their gun rights restored, otherwise it's all political.

Which is probably true at the time they commit the crime.

I think people can change, wearing a scarlet letter for the rest of their days is not as much of an incentive to do so, I don't think I would want to aspire to be a good second class citizen. I'm all for second chances, redemption and forgiveness. I think the laws in Washington and Oregon are pretty fair.

I have several friends that are waiting for their 5 years to pass so they can have their civil and firearms rights restored, they are good people and well capable of handling their firearms responsibly.
Five years? That must be a Washington thing. Oregon is 15 years.

What should happen is when the fool is shooting off his weapon, a responsible bystander draws their own weapon and quickly dispatches the threat.

We need more armed citizens walking our streets.

Do to frivolous laws, overcrowded prisons, lack of funding, and many more issues, our prison system is not used to rehabilitate offenders. In most cases, it is used as a form of punishment and retaliation for the crime as in the Code of Hammurabi. If there were proven rehabilitation and contrition for non-violent crimes, then a case could be made for reinstatement.

I like the way it is written in Oregon law; someone who commits a non-violent felony and stays clean for 15 years is ok to own firearms as long as he avoids any Federal connection like- Buying through ffl. shooting or carrying on federal lands, committing a federal crime of any sort etc.

I like the way it is written in Oregon law; someone who commits a non-violent felony and stays clean for 15 years is ok to own firearms as long as he avoids any Federal connection like- Buying through ffl. shooting or carrying on federal lands, committing a federal crime of any sort etc.

Seems pretty stupid to me.

It is not at all that easy. There is usually (if not always) Lawyers, judges, paperwork, time and patients to get it done. I watched a guy just successfully accomplish this. He is one of few if not the only one to get it done in Lincoln county. There is still a red flag every time he tries to buy a gun.

It is not at all that easy. There is usually (if not always) Lawyers, judges, paperwork, time and patients to get it done. I watched a guy just successfully accomplish this. He is one of few if not the only one to get it done in Lincoln county. There is still a red flag every time he tries to buy a gun.

He can quit being red flagged by enrolling with the FBI's Voluntary Appeal File they will give him a U-Pin# that he can give the dealer when he fills out the paperwork & that will screen him much faster without a delay

Upcoming Events

Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR
Arms Collectors of Southwest Washington (ACSWW) gun show
Battle Ground, WA

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top