JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.

Should felons have access to firearms?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
So how do you propose that be accomplished? Background checks? Nope we already know that is impossible. Total gun control? Nope, still would not work. Until people start being realistic and realize that no matter how many laws are enacted there are none that will keep guns out of the hands of violent felons that walk the streets if they want them then we will continue to have our rights stripped away. Now that we have that out of the way we can actually try to address the real problem which is that we are letting dangerous and known felons walk the street. While you may not have intended for the discussion to be about a broken system it was inevitable because the only reason to ask it is "because" of a broken system.

It's only a broken system because we let it get broken and everyone gets bulked into the felon vs non-felon category. As previously stated by other members, when do we (as a society) stop punishing people? If we have a better classification system, people getting out of prison could probably get a job, recover from their mistakes and become a productive member of society. However, we bulk them into this "you're a criminal" category and basically treat them as second class citizens. Mind you, some people need to be treated and shunned that way, just not all criminals.

The Scarlet Letter was brought up as a metaphor earlier...but I bet we all wish we could spot a Level III sex offender by just looking at him.

So what can we do, as a society, to fix a broken system?

Don't try to get out of Jury duty. This should be a time that we should almost look forward to, like performing a service to your community. You're tasked with judging the guilt/innocence of an individual. Take it seriously and know your laws!

Tell your representatives what you think. Gov Jay Inslee just came out in a press release against the death penalty. If you dissagree with this, give him hell!

Peacefully protest change and educate your fellow man. Every year there is a capital march for gun rights. There are even local protests every year you should keep track of like handing out Constitutions on the 4th of July.

Griping and yelling about a broken system doesn't fix it...just as saber rattling about the next revolution puts us all in the lime-light.

It's only a broken system because we let it get broken and everyone gets bulked into the felon vs non-felon category. As previously stated by other members, when do we (as a society) stop punishing people? If we have a better classification system, people getting out of prison could probably get a job, recover from their mistakes and become a productive member of society. However, we bulk them into this "you're a criminal" category and basically treat them as second class citizens. Mind you, some people need to be treated and shunned that way, just not all criminals.

The Scarlet Letter was brought up as a metaphor earlier...but I bet we all wish we could spot a Level III sex offender by just looking at him.

So what can we do, as a society, to fix a broken system?

Don't try to get out of Jury duty. This should be a time that we should almost look forward to, like performing a service to your community. You're tasked with judging the guilt/innocence of an individual. Take it seriously and know your laws!

Tell your representatives what you think. Gov Jay Inslee just came out in a press release against the death penalty. If you dissagree with this, give him hell!

Peacefully protest change and educate your fellow man. Every year there is a capital march for gun rights. There are even local protests every year you should keep track of like handing out Constitutions on the 4th of July.

Griping and yelling about a broken system doesn't fix it...just as saber rattling about the next revolution puts us all in the lime-light.

Your not going to get much argument from me on most of this. The only one that I would really take issue is the last sentence as you have made assumptions about who I am and what I'm doing based on a few posts above. Let's just say that I no longer have a personal life anymore as it is entirely dedicated to finding ways to fix the problems (not just this one) and we will leave it at that.

Everyone denying felons the post sentence restorations of their rights have been brainwashed.

Before the GUN CONTROL ACT of 1968, this topic wasn't even an issue. If you weren't on post prison supervision, you had your 2A rights back.

It's pretty sad that on a firearms board we have a cohort who apparently would have voted with Ted Kennedy back then if only they could.

Everyone denying felons the post sentence restorations of their rights have been brainwashed.

Before the GUN CONTROL ACT of 1968, this topic wasn't even an issue. If you weren't on post prison supervision, you had your 2A rights back.

It's pretty sad that on a firearms board we have a cohort who apparently would have voted with Ted Kennedy back then if only they could.

In the 60's we used to put people to death...a LOT. There also wasn't an abundance of Heroine, Cocaine and Meth. "Gangs" in the 60's equates something completely different to a gang now.

You should have also seen what happened to a sex offender in prison in the 60's compared to now...sentencing is quite different (let alone how the inmates treated sex offenders).

So saying that anyone is "brainwashed" is an ignorant statement at best. I might as well say that anyone that thinks all criminals can be rehabilitted or that prisons are anything but a JOKE when compared to the 60's needs to walk in my shoes for a week.

In the 60's we used to put people to death...a LOT. There also wasn't an abundance of Heroine, Cocaine and Meth. "Gangs" in the 60's equates something completely different to a gang now.

You should have also seen what happened to a sex offender in prison in the 60's compared to now...sentencing is quite different (let alone how the inmates treated sex offenders).

So saying that anyone is "brainwashed" is an ignorant statement at best. I might as well say that anyone that thinks all criminals can be rehabilitted or that prisons are anything but a JOKE when compared to the 60's needs to walk in my shoes for a week.

It remains the case that if someone is too dangerous to let out of prison, they should still be there.

Nothing about the formal restriction of ex-con's firearms rights actually prevents them from rearming if they choose to violate the law. It's pretty naive to think otherwise.

The "time served before application for restoration of rights" is different from state to state. In New Hampshire it's 5 years. In Washington State, its 7. Each time you have to pay a wad of cash, stand before a Judge and listen to him ramble on and on about how you've become a model citizen when all you want to say is "Dude, I paid the cash, I've done the time, now shut up and sign" but you can't say that you have to sit there and listen to "The Lecture". Then you wait 60 days- they say 30 but you know how legal SNAFU's happen so you wait 60 days and then you try to buy a .22LR rifle. If it goes through you're golden if not,,,,well, you DID keep your paperwork right? In some cases if you're out of state and traveling cross country would be problematic you can apply and they'll do it in abstentia provided you've paid the cash.

Then if you're really smart, you'll run- not walk, RUN and do everything you can to make yourself look like the ideal model citizen. Work at a homeless shelter for awhile. Get NRA qualifications to be an instructor so if some bogus charges are ever brought against you you can fight back.

You give away 1 year subscriptions to the NRA of people you barely know, knowing that if they've got the sense God gave bas tard geese in Ireland they'll tell other people- and those other people are now on your side.

You'll also fight tooth and nail, claw hammer and axe to keep your firearm rights. NOTHING is as scary as knowing there's professional criminals out there who are armed, and you're trying to walk the straight and narrow knowing that you cannot defend yourself legally unless you're willing to risk 10 years in prison

How do I know all this? Because I was stupid in a smart zone- thats what most Felons say when they're asked what they did and they don't wanna talk about it because they're embarrassed at what they did. Also remember that "No good deed ever goes unpunished"

So here's a song about one of Americas Favorite Convicted (and executed!) Felons for your entertainment: Saddam Hussein - Without Me - YouTube

<broken link removed>

MEDFORD, Ore. (AP) -- Police in Medford says a 5-year-old boy has been shot in the abdomen after finding his father's unsecured gun.
Investigators say the boy's father, 46-year-old Brian Green, is a convicted felon who is not allowed to possess guns.

Black powder pistol, convicted felon?
What was he a pirate?!

It's people like that I hope go to jail for a long time. Even if your not a convicted felon. If your kid gets your gun and shoots up a school or robs someone like that kid in n portland a couple years ago you should be charged with the same crime.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

Back Top