JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Status
Reactions
Any shotgun shell reloaders out there?

I was given a MEC Versamec reloader along with shot, wad, primers, powder, and other items. Not sure if I'm going to keep it as I don't shoot shoygun that much, and when I do i have access to shells anyway.

Anyone know if this machine is any good...quality wise etc?

I don't know about the VersaMec, but I have a Mec Grabber semi-progressive that I use for 12 ga that I got back in the 80's that I have loaded literally thousands of rounds on and still runs like a champ.

I also have a Mec Jr set up for 20ga. whenever I get the itch to shoot some skeet with my Ithaca 37 20ga.

Both are solid as a rock.

thats a great loader i use mine alot. i have 2 different crimp dies and it works well i high grade my shells if i find a bad crimp i toss it in the target load bin.
i hunt grouse with my reloads works well always picking up hulls some work better than others

How much money savings is there in shotgun reloading? I've considered it but felt that there wasn't a lot of money to be saved in reloading it.

It is like anything else,the more you shoot the more savings you will have.
At todays prices of 2 for 11.00 on sale,you could make it pay for itself fairly quickly if you shoot trap,sporting clays,5 stand often enough.
I prefer to have the equipment and supplies on hand so i never need to run to the store and find out that the shelves are bare or the prices are jacked.
RK

How much money savings is there in shotgun reloading? I've considered it but felt that there wasn't a lot of money to be saved in reloading it.

There used to be a lot more savings many years ago before lead prices went sky high. The primary reason I load 12 ga is for Skeet. Where I shoot Skeet, they will let you use nothing larger than #9 shot because if you're shooting from the low house on one of the skeet ranges, anything larger than #9 shot has enough energy to potentially reach a road not to far from the range. #8 shot can reach it. 9's fall just short.

If I could shoot 8's I would as I can find #8 trap loads cheap almost any time at Bi-Mart. Store bought #9 Target loads easily cost a couple of bucks more. Also, I like shooting a reduced recoil 1 oz load using Hodgdon Clays. Breaks they pigeons just as good and saves my old shoulder. That's what I have my Mec Grabber set up for now.

If you shop, buy in bulk and use reclaimed shot you can save between 1.00 to 2.00 per box over the 5.00 to 5.50 a box cheep trap loads ( at Bi-Mart or Wal Mart). The loader with shot and wads means you just have to add primers and powder to load some shells, assuming you have hulls on hand. Good luck : Bill

just started using a MEC 600 JR.... knocked out a couple hundred shells or so with it.

just going out and buying the supplies it will run about $4.00 for 25 rounds... but you can make a hotter cartridge, and have the shot of your choice in the amount you grow to prefer. all in all trying to copy the cheap Bimart 2 for $11 deals would be a waste you could probably do 2 for $6 - $7, but while your at it why not improve the quality of the shell, and get a savings?

The number of times you can re-use the hulls makes a difference too. Several years ago I began noticing a difference in the durability of the hulls. I use either Win AA hulls or Remington Blue Peters target hulls. I used to be able to get 6-8 reloads out of a hull before it became unuseable. In the past few years, I'm lucky to get 4 reloads out of them. I'm talking primarily about the Win AA's as that is most of what I load. The Rem Blue Peters seem to last a little longer.

There isn't a huge amount of savings in reloading shot shells, unless you're shooting the premium shells anyways.

However, one thing you can do with a shotshell reloader is start reloading your own slugs. Lee makes a hollowbase mold for casting shotgun slugs, it works really well, and they just drop into a standard WAA12 wad, and take a standard style crimp.

I usually load up tons of these and save them for our after-halloween pumpkin shoot.

I load 12 ga for Cowboy action. 7/8 oz lead with low power powder loads. Can't buy rounds this light. Winchester featherlights are hard to find and expensive. Savings is half the story.

Status

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads