JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
I'm having work done in my attic and I've decided I want to add a shortwave antenna for reception only.
There's a lot of room up there as the attic covers the house and garage. Who makes a good antenna. I don't want those portable, reel types. This will be permanent installation to feed a Grundig, Drake or Sangean radio in my office.
Decades ago I was playing with my new portable shortwave radio on the back porch and got some bounce from Australia where they were talking about a rebellion on an island in the Solomons. New Georgia or Bouganville IIRC. That fascinated me but work, kids etc. Now I'm retired and have time to check out the world again.
Any antenna suggestions will be greatly appreciated.
Workers coming 2/19 so I need to get this thing ordered and delivered before then.
Thanks

I just recently got my HAM tech license (KJ7CXX) and everything @ravenswood said is good advice. In the last NWFA drawing, I won the Baeofeng radio and figured I should get my license soI could actually use it :rolleyes:. We are really lucky to have a HRO location in Portland. The next closest is in California I think or Denver. If you go in there, the folks working there are HAMs and a great resource for information.
If you decide to get your license (and you should; it's great fun and appeals to the closet prepper side of me), it's actually only $15 and a not too tough test. I passed with 34 correct out of 35. Drop me a line and I can tell you how I prepared. :D

Thanks, guys
Some of those receivers I've seen are pretty pricey. Are they that superior to the ones I listed?

ETA: Yeah, I have a darn HOA to deal with.
A house a couple blocks away has 2 big towers in their backyard. I gotta guess they are big time ham radio folks.

Last Edited:
You can drop money almost as fast in HAM radio as you can with firearms as near, as I can tell. However just like firearms, you probably don't need the $4k transceiver.. And certainty not to just get started. I am looking to upgrade to my general license next month and when I do, I will probably drop between 400 and 800 bucks on a mobile unit that can also be used in the house. Said unit will,do everything I can think of to do for the foreseeable future.

Guns on the other hand... :rolleyes:

For shortwave reception, I think this is the best bang for the buck:
Airspy HF+

Under $200, but does require a computer. But I'd feel blind and deaf if all I could use were the old-school analog rigs.

hidden antenna? YouTube has several vids. I would go introduce yourself to your. Ham. Tower neighbors. Ham. Folks for the most part love helping others get set up with ham radio. They also have leads on finding used high end radio equipment at bargain prices. It's not uncommon to find a. HF. Basic transceiver for $200 to $300 dollars that will give you the option of communication should you choose someday to go full on ham operator.

Last Edited:

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads