JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
I have settled on the sp101 as my first revolver, but I have a dilemma.

It is mainly for a "woods carry," but I also want to cc with it.

I'm only 5'4" and quite curvy, very hourglass shape, high, but short waist. I would really prefer the 3" over the 2.25 for sight radius, slight increase in velocity and just prefer the way it looks, but if it means the difference in length makes it too difficult to conceal, I will compromise on the length.

Any ladies here (or wives of forum members) with sp101s who are about my height/build? What barrel length, where do you conceal it, does an extra 3/4 inch make a difference in being able to conceal it?

My step daughter has a cc carry purse for her sp101. The one with a side pouch.
Stacy

If I were a women then those tactical purses would be on the top of my list. I've never seen a lady get more then an arms length from her purse personally.

Then you could carry a 6" GP100 if you decided it was worth the extra 4 lbs.

Personally, purse carry is a "no go" for me, I have kids, it is either on my body or locked away. (and I do not carry a purse, I carry a little wallet in my front pocket) If I don't have pockets, I'm dressed for a night out with hubby and he's the one with the wallet.

My typical everyday clothes are very well suited for belt carry, I'm a jeans w/belt, boots and button down shirt/blouse over a tank top kind of girl (think cowgirl, lol).

This is my typical everyday style of clothes, more often I substitute a denim jacket for the vest.
For warmer weather the vest/jacket is absent (though I still have the button down or flowy blouse over a tank top) and replace the felt hat with a straw hat, lol.

At a CMS event.jpg

Last Edited:
Have you tried IWB carry? If you cant it forward sufficiently it comes closer to parallel with the belt. Almost all IWB's are adjustable for cant.
I don't know, myself. My waist is long, very big and round, but long!:(
Seriously, I hope you find what you need. Please report if you do!:)

Lady concealment is a hard thing to accomplish I feel. I've tried with my wife and have given up. The one holster she liked and used was the Remora no clips. As she could just stick it in whatever "insert weird name for type of pants" she was wearing.

If your a lady that wears the same thing everyday. I'd say look into small of the back holsters. Ladies tend to have an area between the butt and back were a shirt lays towards the butt when standing upright. As long as the shirt is not tight it tends to conceal well.

A holster like this may work well.

image.jpeg

Lady concealment is a hard thing to accomplish I feel. I've tried with my wife and have given up. The one holster she liked and used was the Remora no clips. As she could just stick it in whatever "insert weird name for type of pants" she was wearing.

If your a lady that wears the same thing everyday. I'd say look into small of the back holsters. Ladies tend to have an area between the butt and back were a shirt lays towards the butt when standing upright. As long as the shirt is not tight it tends to conceal well.

A holster like this may work well.

View attachment 297328
unfortunately I have an allergy to anything latex and petroleum based and even neoprene, even through a layer of a cotton undershirt if I am sweating. I got a rash from the rubbery backing on my cell phone, even though it was inside my jeans pocket and had a barrier of cloth between it and my skin.

I have tried small of back and it just doesn't work, very uncomfortable for me.

Just behind the hip (3:30/4:00) is OK comfort wise but it does not conceal on me unless I have a jacket or coat on. And I have a difficult time drawing it due to my short waist with the grip up into my ribs, and I broke my elbow about a decade back and the range of motion I have in it is not as good anymore. I have worked it out the the best area on me that conceals well and fairly comfortably and I can access without muzzling my child if I am carrying her, is iwb at 2:00/forward of the strongside hip.

Which brings me back to me delima on barrel length. I know the 2.25" sp101 will work in that spot, just wondering if 3/4" longer barrel, the one I'd much prefer to get, would still be comfortable and not dig into my leg....I guess I won't know unless I try it.

unfortunately I have an allergy to anything latex and petroleum based and even neoprene, even through a layer of a cotton undershirt if I am sweating. I got a rash from the rubbery backing on my cell phone, even though it was inside my jeans pocket and had a barrier of cloth between it and my skin.

I have tried small of back and it just doesn't work, very uncomfortable for me.

Just behind the hip (3:30/4:00) is OK comfort wise but it does not conceal on me unless I have a jacket or coat on. And I have a difficult time drawing it due to my short waist with the grip up into my ribs, and I broke my elbow about a decade back and the range of motion I have in it is not as good anymore. I have worked it out the the best area on me that conceals well and fairly comfortably and I can access without muzzling my child if I am carrying her, is iwb at 2:00/forward of the strongside hip.

Which brings me back to me delima on barrel length. I know the 2.25" sp101 will work in that spot, just wondering if 3/4" longer barrel, the one I'd much prefer to get, would still be comfortable and not dig into my leg....I guess I won't know unless I try it.

You hit it on the head there, try it on for yourself and be sure to go thru the full range of motion with it on including sitting. I carry IWB 4oclock and always wear a cover garment of some sort, jacket, vest, loose unbuttoned shirt over a polo shirt, need the pockets for stuff, LOL.
Try a cross draw too it may be just what you need. An inch or so of barrel isn't a big factor IWB but will leave your barrel hanging down below a short jacket if worn OWB and you raise your arms. Make sure to check yourself in front of a full length mirror, or if you don't have one handy, get someone to watch for you while you make the moves. If it isn't comfortable you will be tempted to leave it in the drawer / safe, where it will do you no good.Keep trying, you will find just what you want if you are persistent. Look up Hickok45 on you tube and look up his videos of holsters, he has owned many of them over the years and gives good advice.
What works for me or the next person may notwork for you. So go and try them on before you buy, you try on new shoes first don't you?
Gabby
PS concider one of those holsters that hangs between your boobs on your bra, better for a tiny auto but might work with a 2" as well.

If the above photo is your typical type of outfit, a leather shoulder holster rig would work nicely. ;)
Yup, that is my typical style, even the hat lol. That's also me in my avatar in 100+or- degree heat when I lived in the Mojave desert of California. That is about as little clothing as I go, even in summer, a sleeveless blouse over a tank top and jeans. I have already considered a shoulder holster as a great option when riding. I had a riding buddy that wore one under a denim jacket (or unbutton shirt over a t-shirt in hot weather). It was the only way he could conceal while riding (funky California laws, he had a CWL, but you can't open carry in the state) and still have good one handed access while riding.
He let me try his shoulder holster on once and figured it would only be an option for open carry because no matter what I tried, I looked grotesquely lopsided trying to conceal a shoulder rig....though it may be because it was a commander sized 1911, lol.

You hit it on the head there, try it on for yourself and be sure to go thru the full range of motion with it on including sitting. I carry IWB 4oclock and always wear a cover garment of some sort, jacket, vest, loose unbuttoned shirt over a polo shirt, need the pockets for stuff, LOL.
Try a cross draw too it may be just what you need. An inch or so of barrel isn't a big factor IWB but will leave your barrel hanging down below a short jacket if worn OWB and you raise your arms. Make sure to check yourself in front of a full length mirror, or if you don't have one handy, get someone to watch for you while you make the moves. If it isn't comfortable you will be tempted to leave it in the drawer / safe, where it will do you no good.Keep trying, you will find just what you want if you are persistent. Look up Hickok45 on you tube and look up his videos of holsters, he has owned many of them over the years and gives good advice.
What works for me or the next person may notwork for you. So go and try them on before you buy, you try on new shoes first don't you?
Gabby
PS concider one of those holsters that hangs between your boobs on your bra, better for a tiny auto but might work with a 2" as well.
I considered the bra holster, but dismissed it because of the baby on my hip being muzzled by the gun. Cross draw would only be viable when riding because I am often holding my baby otherwise, with baby sitting on my left hip, she'd be sitting on the gun.
I've watched Hickock45, I'll look for his holster videos.
I also got some advice to also try the 12-1 o'clock position as I have a lot more room for a longer barrel/larger gun in that spot. I had given it some thought before, but thought due to my shape, it would not conceal there and had previously dismissed it.
Since I don't have a handgun (just long guns) I tried it with a long heavy tool in a big bulky faux leather holster for said tool my hubby has. It's supposed to clip to the outside of the belt, but I turned it around with the belt clip facing outward and stuck it inside my pants in the 12 o'clock position, the whole thing is about the thickness and length of a Glock 19's slide and upper frame minus the grip and almost as heavy as the whole G19. That bulky tool holster is not made to be concealed by any length of the imagination, but I was amazed how it disappeared, all you could see through the fitted shirt was the shape of my belt buckle, which is normal, wore it for awhile and it was so comfortable I forgot it was there, lol. I need to try that position with a gun to see how the addition of the grip works....

12:00 Oclock may be just the ticket. I would suggest something like the one listed below because it is made of stiff enough leather to hold its shape. I'll look for a better one in the mean time.

PREMIUM LEATHER IWB IN/INSIDE PANTS HOLSTER FOR S&W 2" REVOLVER 637 M&P340 PD340 (http://www.ebay.com/itm/PREMIUM-LEATHER-IWB-IN-INSIDE-PANTS-HOLSTER-FOR-S-W-2-REVOLVER-637-M-P340-PD340-/191817259832?hash=item2ca9331b38:g:VUMAAOSwu4BVsRQU)

I like the way this one is made, it has the reinforcement I mentioned.

LEATHER REINFORCED TOP IWB INSIDE THE PANTS HOLSTER FOR RUGER SP101 2" REVOLVER (http://www.ebay.com/itm/LEATHER-REINFORCED-TOP-IWB-INSIDE-THE-PANTS-HOLSTER-FOR-RUGER-SP101-2-REVOLVER-/141958344484?hash=item210d606f24:g:pEYAAOSwQTVV-fZz)

Here in 3" size.

PREMIUM LEATHER IWB IN/INSIDE PANTS HOLSTER FOR Ruger Sp101 3" revolver (http://www.ebay.com/itm/PREMIUM-LEATHER-IWB-IN-INSIDE-PANTS-HOLSTER-FOR-Ruger-Sp101-3-revolver-/182040746597?hash=item2a62795a65:g:4IQAAOSwPcVVsRU6)

Here is an excelent holster but it is pricey, take a seat.

<broken link removed>

I would like more reinforcement around the top to keep it from collapsing when you withdraw your gun, this makes it easier to reholster one handed and without having to look down to see what you are doing. Most 2" revolvers will fit the same holster so I wouldn't worry too much about it being made for S&W.

BTW, I recommend you stay away from dyed leather as it might cause you problems with your alergies and in addition if it is a poorly done dye job with cheap dyes it can bleed and rub off against your skin and clothing black is the most problematic, tan or natural is best.

Those soft split leather and cloth holsters force you to look and may even require both hands. Try that while holding your baby. My holster is stiff enough and has enough reinforcement to hold its shape so I know what I'm telling you is true. The tension of your wasteband and belt will hold it in securly enough that you could do summersalts without fear of the gun coming loose.

I carried OSW for years as a police officer, and it is more difficult to prevent printing or your clothes from riding up and exposing your fire arm, the butt of the gun often leans away from your body and an IWB pulls it in tighter against your body, so there is less chance of it printing, and can be covered by just leaving your shirt tail out loose.
I hope this was helpful.
Gabby

Last Edited:
12:00 Oclock may be just the ticket. I would suggest something like the one listed below because it is made of stiff enough leather to hold its shape. I'll look for a better one in the mean time.

PREMIUM LEATHER IWB IN/INSIDE PANTS HOLSTER FOR S&W 2" REVOLVER 637 M&P340 PD340 (http://www.ebay.com/itm/PREMIUM-LEATHER-IWB-IN-INSIDE-PANTS-HOLSTER-FOR-S-W-2-REVOLVER-637-M-P340-PD340-/191817259832?hash=item2ca9331b38:g:VUMAAOSwu4BVsRQU)

I like the way this ine is made, it has the reinforcement I mentioned.

LEATHER REINFORCED TOP IWB INSIDE THE PANTS HOLSTER FOR RUGER SP101 2" REVOLVER (http://www.ebay.com/itm/LEATHER-REINFORCED-TOP-IWB-INSIDE-THE-PANTS-HOLSTER-FOR-RUGER-SP101-2-REVOLVER-/141958344484?hash=item210d606f24:g:pEYAAOSwQTVV-fZz)

Here in 3" size.

PREMIUM LEATHER IWB IN/INSIDE PANTS HOLSTER FOR Ruger Sp101 3" revolver (http://www.ebay.com/itm/PREMIUM-LEATHER-IWB-IN-INSIDE-PANTS-HOLSTER-FOR-Ruger-Sp101-3-revolver-/182040746597?hash=item2a62795a65:g:4IQAAOSwPcVVsRU6)

I would like it better if it had more reinforcement around the top to keep it from collapsing when you withdrew your gun, this makes it easier to reholster one handed and without having to look down to see what you are doing. Most 2" revolvers will fit the same holster so I wouldn't worry too much about it being made for S&W.

Those soft split leather and cloth holsters force you to look and may even require both hands. Try that while holding your baby. My holster is stiff enough and has enough reinforcement to hold its shape so I know what I'm telling you is true.
I carried OSW for years as a police officer, and it is more difficult to prevent printing or your clothes from riding up and exposing your fire arm, the butt of the gun often leans away from your body and an IWB pulls it in tighter against your body, so there is less chance of it printing.
I hope this was helpful.
Gabby
Awesome! Thank you for the info and ebay holster links Gabby. That's cool that they come in both barrel lengths, good point about needing reinforcement to make it easier to re-holster one handed :)

That's why my buckles have rounded and smooth edges, it would be painful with my overhang these days. LOL I'm not as trim as my avatar, sad to say.
My buckle that I wear all the time was made by an old Navajo friend, oval in shape with 5 Turquoise stones inside the shadowbox in a diamond pattern with tooling similar to leather tooling around the perimeter of the raised shadow box part. It is a favored item that I wear along with a shadowbox silver ring that closely matches the buckle though made by another artist who didn't sign it. I love well made Navajo jewelry and my wife does as well. That's a good thing since I gave her stuff I had for years before I met her. :) I also wear a cool old silver bracelet with 5 small turquoise stones as well that I've owned for years, but only fit me recently as with age my arms have shrunk and now it fits well and is comfortable to wear all the time, I barely notice it anymore.

Well enough about me have you decided which holster has caught your eye the most?
Gabby

Gabby, I have a bit of "fluff" in the tummy too, still working on the pregnancy weight, lol. I also switched out to less irritating, rounded, smooth belt buckles, lol. Though that may be why appendix carry works well, it just sinks into the squish :D
I love turquoise, I have several earrings with turquoise and my hatband on my straw hat has a turquoise stone.
I'm thinking that I am liking the appendix carry and looking at the reinforced iwb holstets on eBay :)
I also might get a cross draw holster for riding if the iwb holster is uncomfortable while in the saddle.

Last Edited:

Upcoming Events

Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR
Arms Collectors of Southwest Washington (ACSWW) gun show
Battle Ground, WA

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top