Short barrel .223 loads

Anyone have experience reloading for a short barrel AR? What bullet and powder did you use?

I've got an AR with an 11.5" barrel and I wouldn't mind learning from others before I spend a bunch of time making loads that don't work well.

nextgenar

Reactions
I would like to know this too, especially if anyone has worked with heavy bullets, like 75 grains. I have a 7 1/2" AR arriving soon.

ageingstudent

Reactions
The shortest I've loaded for is 18", but I would think faster like 4198 maybe down to 4895 area on the burn chart to start? 11.5" isn't a lot of barrel length to work with is it?

Reactions
It would depend on the twist rate of your barrel. I have an 11" Colt with a 1/7 twist that shoots everything from 52s to 77s. It is hard to beat 25 grains of H335 under anything from a 52-55 bullet with a 1/9 twist. A 1/8 or 1/7 twist will handle 77s with ease.

Nope, it's not. (barrel length) One I have a little left that's pretty fast is RL7. I'll probably give that a try.

Last edited:

kmk1012

Reactions
In my 8.5" IMR4198 and BLC2 works great with 62gr pills. The 4198 absolutely will not work in my 18" barrel though. The BLC2 works in both.

nextgenar

Reactions
It would depend on the twist rate of your barrel. I have an 11" Colt with a 1/7 twist that shoots everything from 52s to 77s. It is hard to beat 25 grains of H335 under anything from a 52-55 bullet with a 1/9 twist. A 1/8 or 1/7 twist will handle 77s with ease.
That sounds like just the ticket, I have a 1:7 twist barrel. Was considering using the 75-77 grain bullets.

That sounds like just the ticket, I have a 1:7 twist barrel. Was considering using the 75-77 grain bullets.
I do/am, too. Has anyone chronoed their loads? I'm considering using this for close range deer hunting.

Reactions
I do not chronograph my loads, I load for accuracy on paper. I have gotten decent accuracy out to 200 with my colt 11" commando, but it would not be my first choice for any application out past 100-150 yards.

I would imagine that a good 60ish grain soft point or bonded bullet would work for hunting. Most bullet manufacturers do not recommend using their BTHPs 77s or 75s or 69s for hunting aplications.

Dyjital

Reactions
Wow.

That's going to be a rough one. Having 7-11" of rifling to build up enough velocity with a rifle burn rate powder.

Time to cross reference burn rate charts and velocity spreads per powder on charge weights. (That's what I would do).

Wow.

That's going to be a rough one. Having 7-11" of rifling to build up enough velocity with a rifle burn rate powder.

Time to cross reference burn rate charts and velocity spreads per powder on charge weights. (That's what I would do).
That's what I have been doing. It's going to take a fast powder to get it to happen, if I can make it happen at all.
The last time I did something like this it was a "short" 16" barrel for a 7mm-08. 16" may not be that short, until you compare it to a 22" tube. That 6" made a huge difference in powder choice, just like the 5-6" I'm dealing with now compared to a carbine length barrel.
Which is why I'm hoping to use someone else's experience.

DizzyJ

Reactions
Wow.

Definitely. You'll want a powder that burns on the fader spectrum.

UPCOMING EVENTS

Albany Rifle & Pistol Club (ARPC) Gun Show 2021 show is cancelled
Linn County Expo Center
3700 Knox Butte Rd E, Albany, OR 97322, USA
22 Rimfire Challenge
Redmond Rod and Gun Club
Redmond, OR 97756, USA
Rimfire Challenge May 8th @ DRRC
Douglas Ridge Rifle Club
27787 OR-224, Eagle Creek, OR 97022, USA

LATEST RESOURCE REVIEWS

• HighLine Firearms
    5.00 star(s)
    One of the best!
    I have bought from online and in person. Great store, he had things I did not know were needed. I try and recommend Highline Firearms to people I...
  • Copeland Custom Gunworks
    5.00 star(s)
    The only gunsmith I'll use
    Tim has done a few projects for me and the result is always the same. Amazing. End of story. From complete refinish to custom machining, Tim is...
    5.00 star(s)
    great work refinishing my 27 year old 1991 a1 compact colt .45
    Tim did a great job making my gun look brand new again and replacing the old parts inside. Super Happy!!
  • Lucky Sporting Goods
    5.00 star(s)
    Just a transfer but a great one. A+
    Came here today to meet another forum member to buy a Glock. Was the best transfer I've had the pleasure of doing. Even though I was just there...
    5.00 star(s)
    Great work threading Tikka barrel
    I dropped off my Tikka to have Tim thread the stainless barrel. GREAT work. Excellent communications. Highly recommend Tim. Very good value for...
Top Bottom