JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Anyone have experience reloading for a short barrel AR? What bullet and powder did you use?

I've got an AR with an 11.5" barrel and I wouldn't mind learning from others before I spend a bunch of time making loads that don't work well.

It would depend on the twist rate of your barrel. I have an 11" Colt with a 1/7 twist that shoots everything from 52s to 77s. It is hard to beat 25 grains of H335 under anything from a 52-55 bullet with a 1/9 twist. A 1/8 or 1/7 twist will handle 77s with ease.

Nope, it's not. (barrel length) One I have a little left that's pretty fast is RL7. I'll probably give that a try.

Last Edited:
It would depend on the twist rate of your barrel. I have an 11" Colt with a 1/7 twist that shoots everything from 52s to 77s. It is hard to beat 25 grains of H335 under anything from a 52-55 bullet with a 1/9 twist. A 1/8 or 1/7 twist will handle 77s with ease.
That sounds like just the ticket, I have a 1:7 twist barrel. Was considering using the 75-77 grain bullets.

That sounds like just the ticket, I have a 1:7 twist barrel. Was considering using the 75-77 grain bullets.

I do/am, too. Has anyone chronoed their loads? I'm considering using this for close range deer hunting.

I do not chronograph my loads, I load for accuracy on paper. I have gotten decent accuracy out to 200 with my colt 11" commando, but it would not be my first choice for any application out past 100-150 yards.

I would imagine that a good 60ish grain soft point or bonded bullet would work for hunting. Most bullet manufacturers do not recommend using their BTHPs 77s or 75s or 69s for hunting aplications.

Wow.

That's going to be a rough one. Having 7-11" of rifling to build up enough velocity with a rifle burn rate powder.

Time to cross reference burn rate charts and velocity spreads per powder on charge weights. (That's what I would do).

Wow.

That's going to be a rough one. Having 7-11" of rifling to build up enough velocity with a rifle burn rate powder.

Time to cross reference burn rate charts and velocity spreads per powder on charge weights. (That's what I would do).

That's what I have been doing. It's going to take a fast powder to get it to happen, if I can make it happen at all.
The last time I did something like this it was a "short" 16" barrel for a 7mm-08. 16" may not be that short, until you compare it to a 22" tube. That 6" made a huge difference in powder choice, just like the 5-6" I'm dealing with now compared to a carbine length barrel.
Which is why I'm hoping to use someone else's experience.

Wow.

Definitely. You'll want a powder that burns on the fader spectrum.

Upcoming Events

Oregon Arms Collectors March Gun Show
Portland, OR
Tillamook Gun & Knife Show
Tillamook, OR
"The Original" Kalispell Gun Show
Kalispell, MT
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews