JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
I have seen fires get started with .22 Long Rifle, it doesn't take much at all!
I even started a pretty good grass fire one time when I was a teen, hit a steel fence post and it sparked and lit off the grass, by the time it took me to run to the barn to get help, it was a full on grass fire, took us nearly a full day to get it put out. Lesson learned, and lucky there was no damage to structures or people hurt!
I have seen glass bottles get shot and the shards set off a fire. I saw a cousin shoot a rock and it sparked off a fire!

All with a .22 LR!

Years ago I was camping with friends in Eastern Oregon, and we were doing some shooting. It had just rained a couple days before, but things were getting pretty dry.

I had acquired a bunch of 5.56 tracer bullets very cheap because they were dead, no light. I loaded them up for plinking ammo, never saw one even try to light.

We were shooting the Mini-14 there at camp, and one of the older guys, a retired fire chief as I was told, walked over and said "Hey you guys better get over there and put those fires out!"

Sure enough, my "dead" tracers had started a couple small fires, fortunately easy to put out. I burned up the rest of that ammo during the wettest days of the next western Oregon winter, and never loaded any more. I have no use for tracers, at all.

I totally agree with your decision to abstain from shooting outdoors for a few days; a wise idea I believe. Last year's fires have me worried about what we might be in for this year.

I have seen fires get started with .22 Long Rifle, it doesn't take much at all!
I even started a pretty good grass fire one time when I was a teen, hit a steel fence post and it sparked and lit off the grass, by the time it took me to run to the barn to get help, it was a full on grass fire, took us nearly a full day to get it put out. Lesson learned, and lucky there was no damage to structures or people hurt!
I have seen glass bottles get shot and the shards set off a fire. I saw a cousin shoot a rock and it sparked off a fire!

All with a .22 LR!
This guy knows fire. Listen up everyone.

Even set a brush fire with the Caterpillar crawler, the tracks sparked off a rock and started a small fire! It's amazing how little it actually takes to get a fire going accidentally!
Especially in this heat. Everything is tinder-dry. It would barely take a mouse fart to spark a fire.

Wife and I went out to our local range on Sunday. There when it opened so it wasn't too hot. When we finished it was reaching 90. Lots of bottled water to be sure.

We had a muzzle loading shoot scheduled for Sunday...but with the heat and burn ban...no shooting was done.
I have not see a fire start from muzzle loading round ball patches...but I have seen it a bit of grass smolder from them.

I have seen hot brass start a fire...so be careful.

In any event...shooting was to had on Sunday...I shot my bow...:D
Andy

I had hot brass from a 5-round burst ejected from an M60 all land neatly down the back of my BDU collar one time….. talk about a fire! :eek::rolleyes::s0112:

There are some sticky's to read about this as well.

good info but a few years old.

I had hot brass from a 5-round burst ejected from an M60 all land neatly down the back of my BDU collar one time….. talk about a fire! :eek::rolleyes::s0112:
Could have been worse... 9MXpS2R.gif

Upcoming Events

Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR
Falcon Gun Show - Classic Gun & Knife Show
Stanwood, WA
Wes Knodel Gun & Knife Show - Albany
Albany, OR