JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
Hey, guys, I have a question. Tomorrow I have to head out to Estacada and I wanted to stop by Miller rd and have some target practice. My question is, if it is safe to do so in this weather? It should be about 10-15 degrees cooler tomorrow, thankfully. Thanks.

Apologies if wrong section.

Just a note: Douglas Ridge Rifle Club has banned shooting steel targets during the heat wave - obviously to avoid sparks from igniting grass fire. Something to think, about. Paper targets may be the way to go over the next week or so.

Also, if in a wilderness site - carefully monitor where you hot brass falls.

Definitely. I figured it'd be a bad idea. Thanks for the reassurance.

No. Thank YOU for having the idea to ask before just going out and shooting in this heat. Many fires have been started by people that didn't care enough to look into it.

Hats off to you, sir. 😎

We had a muzzle loading shoot scheduled for Sunday...but with the heat and burn ban...no shooting was done.
I have not see a fire start from muzzle loading round ball patches...but I have seen it a bit of grass smolder from them.

I have seen hot brass start a fire...so be careful.

In any event...shooting was to had on Sunday...I shot my bow...:D
Andy

No worries and glad you asked about it...Since someone new to guns may not know or think about this issue.
This thread could stop a fire from happening....:D

Archery , Air guns , sling shots ....are all viable in this weather....But then so is relaxing with a cold beer or other drink....:D
Andy

The real question is why are they allowed to sell fireworks during this heat wave?! Only takes one idiot! I'm far more worried about fireworks than I am firearms. Still be careful best to avoid that kind of stuff till this heat dies down

The real question is why are they allowed to sell fireworks during this heat wave?! Only takes one idiot! I'm far more worried about fireworks than I am firearms. Still be careful best to avoid that kind of stuff till this heat dies down
Yea. This upcoming weekend may bring a disaster. Drinking and fireworks along with drought like conditions is like a perfect storm.

I still shoot .22 and handguns at short distances on steel plates. I have a hose and water bucket right next to my range. I refrain from shooting
my long range targets. It's a tinder box out here.

Hey, guys, I have a question. Tomorrow I have to head out to Estacada and I wanted to stop by Miller rd and have some target practice. My question is, if it is safe to do so in this weather? It should be about 10-15 degrees cooler tomorrow, thankfully. Thanks.

I never gave much thought to this when I lived on the wet side of Washington. When I moved to Central Oregon, I started carryingv

FWIW, I always carry a 7.5-gal water can and fire extinguisher. Stays in the rig. Never needed it, knock wood. But it's there if I ever do. I also carry a trenching spade and a small iron rake which I can use to smother a small flame if needed.

No joke!

Though I've seen a handful over the weekend and today closed up due to the heat and the inability to keep employees manning the tents cool.

I even got to pump my own gas today as the station I went to sent their employees home due to heat.

I don't think that this weekend will be without a ton of folks in the woods shooting however. I wouldn't be surprised if folks start camping up at the Wolf Creek lanes by Thursday.

Id be a little worried about starting a brush fire. When its hot like this I typically have a gallon of water (admittedly for drinking not fires), a shovel and a fire extinguisher.
then again.. I normally carry those things in my truck anyway.

Post shooting I usually do a double check for smoldering as I clean up in the summer.. Then after 5-10 mins if I dont detect anything I pack up and call it good. Last thing I need is to be the guy blamed for the next large fire.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top