JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
Refresh my memory-

If I'm in Arizona visiting and I purchase a Rem.700 face-to-face, then ship it to myself in Vancouver WA, what am I missing? Honestly don't remember if it's legal to do so.

Or maybe I just oughta check it in baggage on the airline?

I believe fed law says you have to ship it to an FFL. Not sure about long guns but I know that you can take handguns with you. You'll need to contact the airline and find out what their policy is. I wouldn't suggest trying to take as part of your carry on though:D

I don't think, as a Wa. resident, you can legally buy a firearm FTF in another state. So shipping is the least of your worries. What part of the big Az. you going to?

ETA links:

http://thehighroad.org/showthread.php?p=4893352

[18 U.S.C. 922(a)(3) and (5), 922(b)(3), 27 CFR 478.29 and 478.30]

(B3) May an unlicensed person obtain a firearm from an out-of-State source if the person arranges to obtain the firearm through a licensed dealer in the purchaser's own State? [Back]

A person not licensed under the GCA and not prohibited from acquiring firearms may purchase a firearm from an out-of-State source and obtain the firearm if an arrangement is made with a licensed dealer in the purchaser's State of residence for the purchaser to obtain the firearm from the dealer.

Refresh my memory-

If I'm in Arizona visiting and I purchase a Rem.700 face-to-face, then ship it to myself in Vancouver WA, what am I missing? Honestly don't remember if it's legal to do so.

So I realized that I missed the whole FTF part of this sale. Unfortunately, I think the only way to do this legally is to have the seller ship it to the FFL of your choice in your home state. The seller doesn't have to be an FFL or ship it through an FFL if I recall correctly. I would make sure you ship the ammo separate from the rifel:)

I don't think, as a Wa. resident, you can legally buy a firearm FTF in another state. So shipping is the least of your worries. What part of the big Az. you going to?

Unfortunate that it's in Arizona. I believe that you will find that the GCA 68 has an amendment now that allows ftf transfer of long guns only, in contiguous states...ie for Washington, that would mean Oregon and Idaho, Oregon would be Washington, California, and Nevada, etc.

Unfortunate that it's in Arizona. I believe that you will find that the GCA 68 has an amendment now that allows ftf transfer of long guns only, in contiguous states...ie for Washington, that would mean Oregon and Idaho, Oregon would be Washington, California, and Nevada, etc.

I haven't heard of this one. Can I find that on the ATF website? If not where would one look? Not that I don't trust you, I just want to verify so I don't put myself in jail:cool:

So I realized that I missed the whole FTF part of this sale. Unfortunately, I think the only way to do this legally is to have the seller ship it to the FFL of your choice in your home state. The seller doesn't have to be an FFL or ship it through an FFL if I recall correctly. I would make sure you ship the ammo separate from the rifel:)

So I think I spoke out of ignorance again. Here's what the ATF website says:

B. UNLICENSED PERSONS

(B1) To whom may an unlicensed person transfer firearms under the GCA? [Back]

A person may sell a firearm to an unlicensed resident of his State, if he does not know or have reasonable cause to believe the person is prohibited from receiving or possessing firearms under Federal law. A person may loan or rent a firearm to a resident of any State for temporary use for lawful sporting purposes, if he does not know or have reasonable cause to believe the person is prohibited from receiving or possessing firearms under Federal law. A person may sell or transfer a firearm to a licensee in any State. However, a firearm other than a curio or relic may not be transferred interstate to a licensed collector.

[18 U.S.C. 922(a)(3) and (5), 922(d), 27 CFR 478.29 and 478.30]

(B2) From whom may an unlicensed person acquire a firearm under the GCA? [Back]

A person may only acquire a firearm within the person’s own State, except that he or she may purchase or otherwise acquire a rifle or shotgun, in person, at a licensee's premises in any State, provided the sale complies with State laws applicable in the State of sale and the State where the purchaser resides. A person may borrow or rent a firearm in any State for temporary use for lawful sporting purposes.

[18 U.S.C. 922(a)(3) and (5), 922(b)(3), 27 CFR 478.29 and 478.30]

(B3) May an unlicensed person obtain a firearm from an out-of-State source if the person arranges to obtain the firearm through a licensed dealer in the purchaser’s own State? [Back]

A person not licensed under the GCA and not prohibited from acquiring firearms may purchase a firearm from an out-of-State source and obtain the firearm if an arrangement is made with a licensed dealer in the purchaser's State of residence for the purchaser to obtain the firearm from the dealer.

[18 U.S.C. 922(a)(3) and 922(b)(3)]

(B4) May an unlicensed person obtain ammunition from an out-of-State source? [Back]

Yes, provided he or she is not a person prohibited from possessing or receiving ammunition.

Clear as mud?:D

You'd be wrong. Out of state FTF from a non-FFL is a no-no.

You can buy a LONG GUN from an out of state DEALER in person without going through a local FFL.

Or, as mentioned previously, you can ask the seller to ship it to your local FFL and transfer it here.

Or you can arrange an AZ FFL, buy in person there through the dealer, then ship it back to yourself.

The contiguous state law was repealed in 1986.

Refresh my memory-

Check out FedEx rules. But I suggest that you just bring it back on the airline, it is no big deal. I travel with several 1911's in check baggage quite often.

Check out FedEx rules. But I suggest that you just bring it back on the airline, it is no big deal. I travel with several 1911's in check baggage quite often.

When shipping a firearm via ups or fedex etc. simply mark the package as sporting goods. They don't need to know that it is a firearm. Insure the package for what it's worth, don't ship it with ammo and you should be good. The best way to avoid all of this is to find someone in your own state to purchase a gun FTF. That way big brother doesn't know about it at all:s0155:

Upcoming Events

Lakeview Spring Gun Show
Lakeview, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR
Falcon Gun Show - Classic Gun & Knife Show
Stanwood, WA
Wes Knodel Gun & Knife Show - Albany
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top